Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TV licence
theconrodkid

posted on 25/4/16 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
TV licence

I prob watch about 2 hours telly a month so i figure it,s not worth renewing mine at the end of this month.
i plan to put it in its box and put the box in the loft.
anyone cancelled theirs and had a visit from the heavies,i have heard stories about them trying to force their way into your house as they are on commision ?.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Daf

posted on 25/4/16 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
We haven't had a tv for 10 years, never once had a visit. If you declare it online they usually leave you alone for 12 months before sending a letter to check you haven't gone out and bought one.

Legally they can't come in, even if they threten to come back with the police they can't as there is no evidence to suggest a crime has been commuted (unless obviously they can see through a window that your better half is watching something).

Irony

posted on 25/4/16 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
TV Licensing is all a big con. They don't have TV detector vans, nor do they have any powers to force entry etc. All the authority they have is merely bravado. I didn't have a TV License for 12 years and like you I watched about 2 hours a month. I tried to inform licensing agency about it but the phone operators are more or less scripted zombies. One told me having a TV is like owning a shotgun. 'Just because you own a shotgun and never fire it doesn't mean you don't have to have a license'......my reply was 'are you comparing a telly to a dangerous firearm'. The BBC will ask you to have all receiving apparatus removed from any screens you have in the house. So a TV used for a xbox/playstation will have to have the aerial socket removed (at your expense not theirs).

This is what will happen. If you stop paying they will send you hundreds of threatening letters, about one a month. These letters will warm you of all sorts of dire punishments in big bold letters normally in red. They are quite scary and put the willies up most people. Eventually you will register on a database for a visit (not detected with their super secret make believe detector vans). A stressed much-abused battered 'enforcement officer' will turn up at your door in the week when your at work. He will leave a note. Then the letters will start again. After several years one of the long suffering 'enforcement officers' will catch you in. They will be all stern and secret agent like. Remember these guys/gals get abused by chavs everywhere they go. Be really nice, explain you don't watch telly and they will realise your a normal citizen who doesn't watch telly. They will stop being stern, apologise for the nasty letters and promise to take your name of the 'hit' list for two years. After the two years the cycle will start again.

jeffw

posted on 25/4/16 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Obviously if you consume BBC content in any form you should pay the license fee. Otherwise it is left to those of us who do pay the license fee to fund your viewing/consumption.

Smoking Frog

posted on 25/4/16 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a reasonable idea, but I would be inclined to sell the TV or loan it to a relativefriend. There are on-line forms to confirm that no TV license are required at your address.
coozer

posted on 25/4/16 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mate of mine didn't have a TV or a licence after he got divorced.

The licence people came knocking over and over. Each time he told them no telly go away.. Eventually they turned up with the police and ransacked his house looking for a TV. In the end the fool told him he needed a licence for his radio and at that point the copper told him that's enough and to get out!

After that they sent a letter out every 12 months reminding him he needed a licence to watch telly... They just never give up!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Slimy38

posted on 25/4/16 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
My brother in law had a visit late last week from one of their 'crew'. Fortunately as he'd not actually moved into his brand new house he wasn't actually in to let them look, and neither is the TV that he doesn't own. I was going to be more than happy to show him round the boxes of stuff that we're in the process of moving, and he can come back next month when my B-I-L might actually live there.

Oddly enough, he doesn't own a TV, but he does own a TV stand...

markie6575

posted on 25/4/16 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
The licence is only needed if you watch live television

I only watch catch up so cancelled my licence at the start of the year 👍🏻

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/4/16 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markie6575
The licence is only needed if you watch live television

I only watch catch up so cancelled my licence at the start of the year 👍🏻

and that is soon to change! you will need a licence to watch ANY bbc content when they get round to tweeking the rules.

Sam_68

posted on 25/4/16 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DafIf you declare it online they usually leave you alone for 12 months before sending a letter to check you haven't gone out and bought one.

It's every two years, apparently. I know this because I've just declared mine online and I got an acknowledgement e-mail just today:

"You've let us know you don't need a licence, so you won't receive emails or letters from us for nearly two years – unless you've told us you'll need a licence before then, or we think your circumstances have changed."

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw...it is left to those of us who do pay the license fee to fund your viewing/consumption.

Very generous of you, Jeff!

It's like all other forms of tax: you'd need to be an idiot to pay more than you're legally required to.

theconrodkid

posted on 25/4/16 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys,ill declare i dont have a BBC propaganda box anymore and see how i get on

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Benzine

posted on 25/4/16 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't had a TV for 2 years now, I have a sizable stack of threatening letters which are great to read if you want a chuckle. They visited once and I didn't answer the door. If you fill in the forms saying you don't have a TV they then have your details and may still want to come in and look around for a telly anyway.

Bottom line, I have no obligation to say a word to them or give them any details whatsoever. If they want to waste petrol and stamps then that's their problem.

[Edited on 25-4-2016 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 25/4/16 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:Originally posted by jeffw...it is left to those of us who do pay the license fee to fund your viewing/consumption. Very generous of you, Jeff! It's like all other forms of tax: you'd need to be an idiot to pay more than you're legally required to.

Fortunately for Jeffw it's not only him paying for YOUR BBC useage, otherwise it his fee would be quite enormous.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Slimy38

posted on 25/4/16 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68

or we think your circumstances have changed."

I like that, basically it means they can turn up whenever they feel like it!!

02GF74

posted on 25/4/16 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have no TV
Once in a while the letters start. Get returned to sender with the mesaage "there is no tv at this address", dont see why ishould pay postage

If that doesnt sort it , few minutes to fillout form on web shuts them up.

Did turn up once, i opened door and one of the fookers put his foot in doorway to prevent door being shut. I know keep a chainsaw nearby to prevent any reoccurence. Cheeky sods.

theconrodkid

posted on 25/4/16 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
02gf74,i have a quite loud and scarey looking dog now,that should be enough to keep them out

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

theduck

posted on 25/4/16 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Have an Internet connection? Need a tv license.
Sam_68

posted on 25/4/16 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck

No, you don't.

02GF74

posted on 25/4/16 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck

Not true. TV license is needed if you watch live tTV.

Taken from tv license website.
One simple question makes it easy to know if you need a TV Licence:
Am I watching or recording live TV on any device?
Live TV means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it's being shown on TV or an online TV service.
An online TV service is a service that mainly aims to provide TV programmes over the internet, e.g. on a website or through an app or Smart TV.
If you only ever watch on demand programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on live TV.

dhutch

posted on 26/4/16 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have watched 25 minutes of live TV so far this year, no more or less.

However I still have a licence as I think the BBC is ace, listen to Radio1 almost exclusively in the car, and watch od bits on iPlayer which I also enjoy, and feel I would like to support the organisation till they get around to updating the revenue model.

Its cheap compared to other options, Sky, BT TV, even Spotify and Netflix.

Daniel

02GF74

posted on 12/5/16 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Announced today plans so that anybody who wants to watch bbc iplayer is gonna have to pay for full tv license.

Minicooper

posted on 12/5/16 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
And?

Pay your bleeping bill like everyone else

David

mk85

posted on 14/5/16 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have a tv in the house but no sky box and no way of getting normal tv. I have a amazon tv stick and a playstaion to use you tube. I havent had a tv liscene for over 10 years and have no intention of getting one the is plenty of decent tv on youtube

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.