Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: E36/E45 Chassis designs....
Meistre

posted on 30/4/16 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
E36/E45 Chassis designs....

Hi guys,

I'm right at the start of my first build and I'm currently debating that eternal question regarding donor verses a parts list.

I have a 75% complete Haynes chassis which I have recently acquired, the diff cage is yet to be welded up, part of the tunnel and the wishbones are yet to be made up. There are a few other odds and ends that need sorting before it would be ready for anything being screwed onto it. I have a load of extra steel from another incomplete chassis given by a friend so I can spare a little extra steel and mistakes on this build (though I'd prefer not too admittedly)

However, as we are aware Sierra parts are becoming expensive and donor cars scarce so I have a long parts list which, based on eBay prices, is going to make it an expensive build if I follow the original designs in the book.

On the flip side, I may have an offer of a E46 325i coupe in full, the guy is happy for me to pull everything I want from it, scrap the remains and surrender the V5 so I could keep the original plate. This is very appealing as I have limited space, limited transportation capabilities (no trailer or a car with a tow-hitch), it's a complete car so I can use lots from the original donor keeping costs down (a must) and it's going to have a few extra ponies and cylinders (I like big engines) to play with compared to a Pinto or a black top.

But I'd need to modify the chassis to accommodate the Bavarian running gear and I can't find any really good sources of information regarding modifications, build and changes needed to be made so I could do this right (with limited experience) and through an IVA and on the road....

Any help, guidance, links, books, designs or a thump around the back of the head would be greatly appreciated......I'm based in mid-Norfolk if anyone close has any examples I can look at.

Thanks.....

hizzi

posted on 30/4/16 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
have a look on hayne forum and roadster builders theres bmw build underway just now think the user is nickp or similar
Nickp

posted on 1/5/16 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hizzi
have a look on hayne forum and roadster builders theres bmw build underway just now think the user is nickp or similar

Yes that'd be me

However my Haynes is still mostly Sierra based, only using the BMW engine and 'box so not sure if that's what the OP is after.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=198679

Meistre

posted on 1/5/16 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:
Originally posted by hizzi

Yes that'd be me

However my Haynes is still mostly Sierra based, only using the BMW engine and 'box so not sure if that's what the OP is after.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=198679

I have been following your thread with interest and your right with your assumption, I'm looking at using the whole of the beemer's running gear, hubs, diff etc as the donor costs pretty close to nowt whereas all the main bits from a Sierra is going to be knocking on at least £500+ by the time I've sourced, cleaned, serviced and reconditioned all of the bits.

As they'd probably be from a number of sources them I'm cutting down my chances of keeping an age plate as well.

Meistre

posted on 13/5/16 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, it's an E46 and it arrives tomorrow .....

Still looking for information

scudderfish

posted on 13/5/16 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Meistre

On the flip side, I may have an offer of a E46 325i coupe in full, the guy is happy for me to pull everything I want from it, scrap the remains and surrender the V5 so I could keep the original plate.

You won't keep the original plate, but you will get one of the same age after IVA, DVLA, PITA.

james-w

posted on 26/5/16 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
My scratch build is based on a 442E chassis as i was unsure a haynes would be big enough.

I am using E46 front hubs inc brakes which 15" wheels still fit over just.

At the back its from an E39 (5 series) as the rear wheel bearings are bolt on also using E39 half shafts/diff. These are mounted on custom rear hubs using MK4 Golf rear brakes as the handbrake is integrated.

I'll see if I can get some pics taken, I'm working on the brake lines at the moment so still a couple of tags to weld on.

rodgling

posted on 26/5/16 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't particularly recommend using the hubs, I wasn't able to find any good options for 15" wheels with 5x114 fitment.
james-w

posted on 26/5/16 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
I wouldn't particularly recommend using the hubs, I wasn't able to find any good options for 15" wheels with 5x114 fitment.

The E39 is the same 5x120 configuration but the bore is 74.1 but I've had the hub machined so now accepts a 72.6 bore wheel the same as all other BMW's.

rodgling

posted on 26/5/16 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, meant to say 5x120. I drilled my hubs to 5x114 so I could use JDM wheels which have better availability in 15".
Meistre

posted on 26/5/16 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Im about to start scalping all the necessary parts, is there a reason I can't use the original wheels?

rodgling

posted on 26/5/16 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
They're a bit heavy and not that great looking IMO.
james-w

posted on 26/5/16 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I was lucky enough to find some momo arrows in 15" BMW fitment so I stayed with it. Also 15 inch tyres are dirt cheap compared to other sizes especially performance ones.
Meistre

posted on 18/9/16 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Meistre
quote:

Im about to start scalping all the necessary parts, is there a reason I can't use the original wheels?

I'm bumping this as I'm still looking for knowledge, help, ideas or a blow to the head.

The E46 is (slowly) coming apart on the driveway as we speak, my parts list to be used will be engine, gearbox, prop, diff & drive shafts, front hubs, brakes & servo, steering rack & pump, rear brakes, electrics (eeek! ) , steering column & switch gear, seat belts, wheels and tyres and a few other odds and sods.

To do, the engine need an overhaul so ill be dropping the M52 manifold in exchange for an M50 model, I'm debating the electrics because quite frankly it scares the living bejesus out of me looking at a whole single mass of wires that BMW loving call a wiring loom! Everything else is going through the sandblaster and getting a lick of paint or whatever.

So any pointers, hints and tips towards the necessary modifying of the Haynes chassis and build WILL be greatly appreciated

Nickp

posted on 18/9/16 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Things from that list that I wouldn't be using (and aren't in my build) are- brake servo, steering rack and pump, seat belts.
I'm doing it the easier way by using everything Sierra except the engine and box.

The M52 fits snugly in the Haynes chassis but the cross bracing needs to be moved to the passenger side as the engine leans over to the drivers side and clashes with the one on the original design, but you probably already know this.

Meistre

posted on 18/9/16 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
Things from that list that I wouldn't be using (and aren't in my build) are- brake servo, steering rack and pump, seat belts.
I'm doing it the easier way by using everything Sierra except the engine and box.

The M52 fits snugly in the Haynes chassis but the cross bracing needs to be moved to the passenger side as the engine leans over to the drivers side and clashes with the one on the original design, but you probably already know this.

Yeah, I looked at the idea of using Sierra running gear but I've not got a donor and donor parts are starting to get to silly money when buying them separately (esp silly money when I've a perfectly good donor with most of the parts necessary sitting on the driveway).

I didn't clarify, I'm actually using the rear seat belts from the CI model rather than the front belts (I'm not into the whole 5 point racing harness kinda thing)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.