Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stoneleigh kit car show 2016
robinsoncrusoe55

posted on 2/5/16 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Stoneleigh kit car show 2016

Went to Stoneleigh on Sunday, had a great day,
even though there seems less and less, as the years go by !!
Had a wander over to the Locost pitch, and was a bit shocked,
to see only, 1 car there....I know the weather forecast was a bit iffy,
but thought there would be more!!

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 2/5/16 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
We had 8 cars on the rawcus pitch overall a lot less people there this year and the halls had a lot of big gaps not a good sign !!!!
Ben_Copeland

posted on 2/5/16 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I went on Sunday. A lot more cars spread out on their owners clubs, and location groups. We had plenty cars on the SKCC pitch.

The weather puts a lot of people off, I drove up from Kent ~180 miles each way but many wouldn't of with the chance of poor weather.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

robinsoncrusoe55

posted on 2/5/16 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Fully understandable really, in an "open" car.

The weather forecast was far worse, than the actual weather on the day !!

posted on 2/5/16 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinsoncrusoe55
Went to Stoneleigh on Sunday, had a great day,
even though there seems less and less, as the years go by !!
Had a wander over to the Locost pitch, and was a bit shocked,
to see only, 1 car there....I know the weather forecast was a bit iffy,
but thought there would be more!!

I went last year and could have come back and wrote the above post, except that the only occupant of the Locost stand
was a tiptop next to a small igloo tent. Didn't go this year for that very reason.
My Locost, still awaiting numberplates, was on my trailer and was spotted by Ferg, who was on the GTM owners stand
so I was offered a space on their stand.

I'm sure that if organised as a club Locostbuilders could put on quite a showing but unfortunately we split into 2 or 3 here
and half a dozen there.

I feel the lack of camaraderie will be the death of the one show that remains on the Kitcar calendar.

Paul G

rusty nuts

posted on 2/5/16 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I feel the lack of camaraderie will be the death of the one show that remains on the Kitcar calendar.

Your not the only one to say that this weekend

locost7-online.com

posted on 2/5/16 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I went last year, not as good as a few years back when I used to go, didn't pick up any bargains so didn't bother this year, my car is not finished but I go to look at other peoples cars for inspiration and ideas , as there was not much last year u gave this year a miss &#128542;

Locost Xflow 150bhp injected! Sold :-(

Facebook blog https://www.facebook.com/Johns-Tiger-Avon-Build-814223212056368/
PLEASE NOTE THIS MEMBER IS NOT A TRADER.

Adamirish

posted on 2/5/16 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just back home now from the show. It seemed a lot smaller this year than last. Just a camper van on the MK pitch, that was it.

Nothing there to tempt me to buy and MK sports cars stand was non existent.

The riot arena up is always a good watch but that was just about the only saving grace for me I'm afraid.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

furryeggs

posted on 2/5/16 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I was there today and it wasn't as busy as i was expecting, with not as many stands as last year and an awful lot of cobras in the main hall.
Still managed to spend £230 on some bits though.

Sam_68

posted on 2/5/16 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
...an awful lot of cobras in the main hall.

The Stratos' (Stratii? Strata?) are starting to give them a run for their money, though?

I was there yesterday. It seems to be flatlining compared to recent years, which is disappointing as you might hope that things would be picking up a bit now that the recession is well and truly over.

Adamirish

posted on 2/5/16 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
...an awful lot of cobras in the main hall.

The Stratos' (Stratii? Strata?) are starting to give them a run for their money, though?

This is true. They are beautiful to be fair. Might be the only kit out there to make me part with my MK. Not that I can afford it mind!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Shooter63

posted on 2/5/16 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just got back myself, I'm the same, I thought there was more vendors last year etc, I went to buy a pair of seats and perhaps a new alloy rad, only one company had seats and the deal was slim to say the least, the rad was a £5 off, so didn't bother. Had a real good chat with a guy on the hawk stand about there Daytona replica ( and it is down to the nth degree) the price will be (big drum roll) 375k

Shooter

Slimy38

posted on 2/5/16 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Interestingly this is the totalkitcar magazine current headline;

quote:

A WARM welcome to totalkitcar online…Well, it’s that time of the year again – NATIONAL KITCAR MOTOR SHOW or just ‘STONELEIGH’ to you and me! There’s a definite buzz about this year’s event, mainly due to a paucity of shows, which means that the industry hasn’t really all been in one place since last year’s show. The show organizer tells me that the level of bookings for manufacturers and general trade is far higher than recent years…42 ‘proper’ manufacturers is the best for many years

rdodger

posted on 2/5/16 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it was pretty good considering the weather forecast.

I met up with some old friends, had a few beers and too many burgers.

There were some new cars and a few old ones reborn.

There were plenty of people in the halls and the manufacturers I know seemed to be getting some positive comments and plenty of interest.

See you all there again next year :-)

coozer

posted on 2/5/16 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I really wanted to go but the snow, minus temps and white weather up to Saturday put me off...

Spent the day on the roof putting my new satellite dish up.... Now got 4500 channels to brouse!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DRC INDY 7

posted on 2/5/16 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
Just back home now from the show. It seemed a lot smaller this year than last. Just a camper van on the MK pitch, that was it.

Nothing there to tempt me to buy and MK sports cars stand was non existent.

The riot arena up is always a good watch but that was just about the only saving grace for me I'm afraid.

I went on Sunday and found the show to be ever shrinking in size.

I was on the mk owners stand and we had 4 cars, far less than in the good old days.

I feel it will not be long before this one goes to the wall.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

Adamirish

posted on 2/5/16 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest, does anyone on here own the Indy with the massive turbo Vauxhall lump? It was on the tiger stand iirc. She must be a real handful!!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

perksy

posted on 2/5/16 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought but perhaps some of the supply companies/traders are now moving into the classic car market as this doesn't seem to be suffering and is continuing to flourish ?

Haven't been to stoneleigh for the last couple of years now as it was a case of 'same old, same old'

bi22le

posted on 2/5/16 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Well Im gutted I didnt go.

I was at a wedding so had no option. Its a great place to see different cars and get ideas.

I wonder if a shake up of title \ focus or topic for the show would make a difference. Every single track day I go on has at least 3 se7en style cars booked on. Often other types of non production cars as well. So there are hundreds of owners that could \ should be interested in this show, so why the low numbers?

If you could get the Caterham and Westfield owners to come off of their high horse you could probably get a good show.

Add to it potentially track time, rolling road and other themes like a swaps \ bits for sale section it could easily see increased visitor numbers.

I have been going to Ford Fair for the last 10 years. That show is VAST. IT takes the day to just walk around and soak up the cars, we often get very little time to even see track action. Is it because kit car owners are older, less outward going, to diverse in their taste of car?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Sam_68

posted on 2/5/16 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Just a thought but perhaps some of the supply companies/traders are now moving into the classic car market as this doesn't seem to be suffering and is continuing to flourish ?

I did find it noticeable that one company I have dealings with (for my sins!), HiSpec, had a MUCH smaller stand at Stoneleigh than they had at the Autosports show in January, which clearly demonstrates which one they see as being most worthwhile.

There was fair representation of kit manufacturers at Autosports, too.

And I'm hearing lots of suppliers who say that Race Retro offers better value for them than either Autosports or Stoneleigh KC Show.

You can't blame any business for spending their money where it gets them the best return, I guess?

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
If you could get the Caterham and Westfield owners to come off of their high horse you could probably get a good show.

Fair play to the Westfield owners: the Westfield pitch was the biggest and best populated at the show, at least when I visited on Saturday, and Westfield had both a stand in the hall and the 'drift' area outside.

I'm hearing rumours about Westfeld that don't bode well for the future, though.

ste

posted on 2/5/16 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I went with a pocket full of cash and a list of things i need to finish my build off and only got half the things. I noticed a huge lack of trade stands compared to last year and the year before. It was really sad to see.

On a plus note, the people I did buy things from were really knowledgeable about their products and offered excellent advice. I got excellent service and advice from Protec Shocks. They are customising my dampers to how I want them for no extra. In fact, got a 10% discount.

Got my exhaust from Custom Chrome at a great price and some good tips on fitting.

My best bargain was tins of satin black spray paint from Classic Car Paints Direct. Always nice to speak to someone who knows what they're talking about and can recommend the right products for the job.

As for the show itself, it is a victim of it's own success. I really think kit car owners need to start paying entry. The tin top car park had so few cars and they're the only ones really putting money in the turnstiles. I know the traders are paying, but they are dwindling.

Anyway, I could rant on about how to fix it for ages.

Anyone see the ultima with 4 airbags?

snapper

posted on 2/5/16 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've got to say once again the Robin Hood owners club did Stonliegh proud, a great turnout
Yes the weather turned bad today, my journey home was best biblical at one point.
Whilst the show was indeed smaller I did feel it was however ( in these difficult times) more focused and quality was (in most cases) exceptional.
In retrospect we are missing the basic affordable stuff but it's not a lost cause yet.
I do agree that we should use it or loose it

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

The Black Flash

posted on 2/5/16 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Seemed much the same as last year in terms of trade stands etc...definately fewer than a few years ago though.
The turn out of cars didn't seem bad considering the forecast. But who failed to book the cash machines? There's been atms there for at least the last 6 years, but not this year...big mistake since most places only take cash.
Got totally soaked on the way down and back up today, it was ok at the show itself though.

Sam_68

posted on 2/5/16 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
Anyone see the ultima with 4 airbags?

And very nice they were too.

posted on 3/5/16 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
Quote ste

I know the traders are paying, but they are dwindling.

End quote

Do we think that traders are priced out of attending ? By traders I don't mean the "fish finger & ten chips" and
charging £7.50 for it, I mean the automotive stands, being parts or the kit manufactures themselves.

I attended last year solely to buy a pair of bullet mirrors (as it was post IVA) and I wanted to see the quality
and make sure they would fit. You can't do that online.

"Don't screw the goose that lays the golden egg", I say.

Paul G

[Edited on 3/5/16 by 907]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.