Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RPM Counter reading very high! Megajolt
Irony

posted on 5/5/16 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
RPM Counter reading very high! Megajolt

I have a RV8 with megajolt and my RPM gauge is completely out. It was working ok and then when driving it flicks to some sort of wrong setting. Tickover is normally about 700-800 rpm and then it flicks up to 1400. The actual engine revs don't change. As the revs increase the RPM gauge gets progressively higher and more inaccurate. So when the engine is at about 2000rpm the gauge reads 4000rpm. When I attach a laptop to the car the megajolt output RPM is fine. Its a VDO gauge.

Any ideas?

40inches

posted on 5/5/16 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
So it reads about double the actual RPM? Can you not adjust the pulses from the Megajolt?
Is there a DIP switch on the Tacho?

britishtrident

posted on 5/5/16 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a bad connection causing spikes, check the connection and wiring to crank sensor (or distributor sensor) the fault could be internal to the sensor.

The other thing it could be is a spike from somewhere else on the car such as the alternator connections or a bad phase on the alternator.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

russbost

posted on 5/5/16 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
So it reads about double the actual RPM? Can you not adjust the pulses from the Megajolt?
Is there a DIP switch on the Tacho?

If it's reading accurately at idle then it's not going to be simply miss set, you don't say who's rev counter it is? Assuming that all connections are good & it's not picking up spikes from wiring being run close to HT leads or alternator, it probably just needs damping, a 1meg ohm resistor in series usually does the trick

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.