Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Band saw recommendations please
nick205

posted on 28/6/16 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Band saw recommendations please

Hi All,

I'd like to have a band saw for cutting wood and sheet metal (Aluminium and Steel). There seems to be a large range of ebay from £100 to well over £1,000. Not having had one before I'm unsure what I need and could do with some recommendations (make, model and running costs etc).

I've budgeted up to £250 for it and don't mind 2nd hand or refurbished if you can get more for your money. Bench mounted is OK as well as I don't have a lot of floor space for one.

Thanks,
Nick

[Edited on 28/6/16 by nick205]

geoff shep

posted on 28/6/16 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
As I understand it, you will need one with a wide speed range - fast for wood and slow for metal. Slower than the usual 2-speed slow setting I think.
nick205

posted on 28/6/16 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you - useful to know!

I've used higher end floor standing machines before for metal and they've had a wide range of speeds.

hughpinder

posted on 28/6/16 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
What depth of cut do you need, and what width of material (for wood, its not likely to be an issue for metal).
nick205

posted on 28/6/16 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
80mm high should be fine for wood and 10mm should be fine for steel plate. Time taken to cut is less of a concern than accuracy of cutting.

hizzi

posted on 28/6/16 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
also check what blades are available for it, some only use the same make blades other you can buy aftermarket blades from starret etc, quality blade make average machine much better
myke pocock

posted on 28/6/16 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Think you may be asking a bit for a budget of £250 to cut wood and metal to your thickness. All I would say is that some of the cheaper models on the market (Axminster etc) are only as good as the price they go for, ie; poor quality. Go for a second hand good or refurbished. HOWEVER it depends on how much you are going to use it. I am a lapsed furniture maker that does more metalworking and car building these days and I have an old DeWalt that does me for wood and alloy sheet up to the quality I want.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.