Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra rear hub removal
dave_424

posted on 2/7/16 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra rear hub removal

Hi guys, I need to turn down the diameter slightly of the original Sierra rear hub flanges so I can use a set of discs that I already have (For off road use so safety is less of a concern). What I am wondering is that can I remove the centre nut holding the driveshaft in (I have lobro shafts) and slide the inner hub out off the splines, leaving the inner bearing races inside the bearing housing? or do I need to take the whole assembly off using the 4 bolts (accessed through the holes in the drive flange) off and press out the splined inner section so I can stick it in my lathe.

I remember doing the wheel bearing many years ago but couldn't remember if it would slide out or not

Thanks

Dave

Smoking Frog

posted on 2/7/16 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I had to do this recently to change the wheel studs.
rusty nuts

posted on 2/7/16 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
It might be better to open out the hole in the discs?
dave_424

posted on 3/7/16 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, that makes it a whole lot easier for me then.

I need to take off just over 5mm off the OD of the flange, there isn't enough material on the disk to take that amount off. It's the OD of the flange that's too large, not the locating spigot.

Rob Allison

posted on 3/7/16 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
what size disks are you trying to fit as there are a lot of ford disks that will fit without any machining

dave_424

posted on 3/7/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
FORD 51010 Front 239.5mm Diameter Solid Brake Disc Coated Finish By Pagid

These ones, I also have a set of sierra disks which are the right ones and fit fine, but due to the wheels I'm using having next to no offset, there isn't enough offset of the disk which causes my calliper to hit my wheel. These ones have a much greater offset and will work fine once they fit over the hub flange.

I also require longer studs since the thickness of adding a disk causes too little thread engagement of the wheel nuts (I have been running with no rear disks)

An idea of what they are going on

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.