Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Craig's 442E BMW powered build
ftaffy

posted on 7/8/16 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
How odd, its set to sharing for anyone who can see the link.
Anyone else cannot see it?

Thanks,
Taffy

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 7/8/16 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ftaffy
How odd, its set to sharing for anyone who can see the link.
Anyone else cannot see it?

Thanks,
Taffy


Copied and pasted the link into safari and it worked. Must be an iphone thing!

Had a look at a couple of them - great info, well done.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 7/8/16 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Donor now relieved of fuel tank - not going to be used in final build but handy for testing engine as I build until new fuel tank fabricated.

Was a complete pig to remove, all the fixings badly corroded and its not exactly the best place to get in about it with the grinder


View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 7/8/16 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Freeing the beast!, now got the engine out. Now need to get rid of a ton of BMW bodyshell so I have more room to work - been quoted a cost of 50 for a scrappie to pick it up with a hiab, does this sound reasonable or should it be getting picked up for free for the value of the scrap metal?



[Edited on 7/8/16 by craigdiver]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ftaffy

posted on 8/8/16 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I dont know about the UK but in Aus the price of scrap is slow low no will touch car bodies unless you drop them off or they are on wheels. Dont want to scratch the paint on the trays.

Glad to hear the link worked.

Nice engine

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 8/8/16 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
My engine weighs 175kg, getrag gearbox 30kg.

How does that compare to the original ford pinto engines, was the pinto much lighter?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 8/8/16 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Finally got whats left of the BMW out of my workshop - went for the brute force method and dragged it out with my pickup!


View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 8/8/16 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Going to fire up engine (very briefly - no coolant) to make sure loom and BMW EWS security system still ok before I start stripping out the stuff I don't need from the loom (most of it!).

If you look closely you will see my orange OBDII scanner attached, prize to anyone who guesses the quantity of fault codes it throws up

image post

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
james-w

posted on 8/8/16 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Your better off having the DME reprogrammed to remove the EWS so you can get rid of the wiring mess that is causes.

Its easy to do as a DIY or there a few people on eBay that will do it for you.

Edit. You will need the help of this site, full wiring diagrams for the car http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/release/en/

[Edited on 8/8/16 by james-w]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 8/8/16 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james-w
Your better off having the DME reprogrammed to remove the EWS so you can get rid of the wiring mess that is causes.

Its easy to do as a DIY or there a few people on eBay that will do it for you.

Edit. You will need the help of this site, full wiring diagrams for the car http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/release/en/

[Edited on 8/8/16 by james-w]


I'm all for DIY, never realised it was DIYable. Searches on google appeared to point towards some mystical software. Feel free to point me in the right direction

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
james-w

posted on 8/8/16 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
What version of DME is it, my engine from the 528i is M52 all aluminium lump which came with MS41.0?

If it is that then here is the best place to learn how to do it, if you need any pointers let me know.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
james-w

posted on 8/8/16 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
Also started on the front of the car, I noticed the steering rack is in front of the wheels, it may be a steering box rather than a rack (not sure of the difference). Can I use this or will having power steering be a bit OTT?

I have sierra hubs on order from ebay as want to stick to the tried and tested standard geometry from the book. Going to look at engineering a solution to allow me to use the 5-stud BMW front wheels, anyone done something similar?


I used the front hubs and brake setup from an E46, this allows all BMW wheels with the exception of E39 to fit. You will need to make custom upper and lower wishbones though and the bottom ball joint in the hub will need reaming to allow an allegro bottom ball joint to fit it.

You will need to use the escort rack as used in most kits due to the narrow front, the E46 hubs have the benefit of being steered from the front like the sierra hubs.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
james-w

posted on 8/8/16 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
quote:
Originally posted by Benzo I had intended to run the standard ecu in a chopped down loom


Do you have any info on how much the original loom can be stripped down and what can be removed?

[Edited on 25/7/16 by craigdiver]


The engine loom is completely separate from the rest of the car, there are 3 or 4 fused supplies that feed the engine ancillaries and the DME directly via the ignition switch.

For the engine to run you will need the DME relay, coil supply relay and a fuel pump relay.

Take a look at my previous post to the wiring diagrams, all the info you need is in there.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 9/8/16 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james-w
What version of DME is it, my engine from the 528i is M52 all aluminium lump which came with MS41.0?

If it is that then here is the best place to learn how to do it, if you need any pointers let me know.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42


Think it is MS42 (double vanos) but a quick search on ebay shows people offering EWS delete, ill double check it when I am at workshop later.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
TheHighlander123

posted on 9/8/16 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
That's a hell of a project.

Will keep an eye on this buddy





Westfield SEIW 1700 Forged crossflow, twin 40s etc etc etc - Now about to do a ZX9R

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 9/8/16 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheHighlander123
That's a hell of a project.

Will keep an eye on this buddy


O-dear, is that 'hell of a project' as in it will be a miracle if it works or 'hell of a project' will be a beast once it's on the road?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 11/8/16 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Got the welder set up and done a trial weld on a couple of bits of the 1" 16 guage tube, happy with weld. Welding like riding a bike, been a while but still got it - no blow through and good penetration. Should keep Mr SVA happy

screen shots

[Edited on 11/8/16 by craigdiver]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 11/8/16 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
A1, A2, B1 & B2 cut and on worksurface. But working away till middle of next week so will have to wait to lay the first weld (or tack!).


View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 11/8/16 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at designing in something similiar to the haynes roadster back end so I can use wishboned from the BMW rear subframe.

I have the haynes roadster chassis on solidworks but cannot see the wall thickness on the larger box section used in the rear subframe.

Anyone got the haynes roadster book, and can take a look?

Cheers

Craig

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 13/8/16 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Got a bit distracted and decided to have some fun with the BMW airbags......

https://youtu.be/HJrsG2hlNuo

I expected the plastic chair to be launched into the air

[Edited on 13/8/16 by craigdiver]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 17/8/16 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Needing some advice......

Keep looking at BMW rear subframe (photo of it on page 2) and am thinking that with 4 strategically placed mounts the complete subframe would just bolt on, this would mean;
(1) little suspension setup whatsoever - instant wishbone suspension, would need to make simple bracket to mount coil-overs.
(2) looks good width wise for 442E chassis - may need slightly wider rear arches (are they readily available or will I have to make myself?)
(3) no faffing around trying to modify other hubs to take BMW alloys
(4) instant drivetrain, just need to shorten prop and change diff gear oil.

Bad points
(1) weight, it is a heavy beast but the engine has torque and maybe a good idea to have a bit of weight in the back for grip?

Any thoughts anyone.....?

[Edited on 17/8/16 by craigdiver]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
james-w

posted on 17/8/16 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
Needing some advice......

Keep looking at BMW rear subframe (photo of it on page 2) and am thinking that with 4 strategically placed mounts the complete subframe would just bolt on, this would mean;
(1) little suspension setup whatsoever - instant wishbone suspension, would need to make simple bracket to mount coil-overs.
(2) looks good width wise for 442E chassis - may need slightly wider rear arches (are they readily available or will I have to make myself?)
(3) no faffing around trying to modify other hubs to take BMW alloys
(4) instant drivetrain, just need to shorten prop and change diff gear oil.

Bad points
(1) weight, it is a heavy beast but the engine has torque and maybe a good idea to have a bit of weight in the back for grip?

Any thoughts anyone.....?

[Edited on 17/8/16 by craigdiver]


The existing coilovers will be no good to you as they are sprung and valved for a car that weighs 1500kg and can carry 3 passengers in the back and a boot full of shopping.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 18/8/16 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james-w
The existing coilovers will be no good to you as they are sprung and valved for a car that weighs 1500kg and can carry 3 passengers in the back and a boot full of shopping.


Going to use standard locost adjustable coilovers, the ones fitted to the BMW are monsters and are too tall.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
james-w

posted on 18/8/16 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
If you do want to go down the IRS route some have used the Rorty designs on a 442.

http://locost7.info/files/suspension/RortyLocostIRSAssembly.pdf

Mine was designed with the help of this site http://www.racingaspirations.com/apps/suspension-geometry-calculator

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 18/8/16 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james-w
If you do want to go down the IRS route some have used the Rorty designs on a 442.

http://locost7.info/files/suspension/RortyLocostIRSAssembly.pdf

Mine was designed with the help of this site http://www.racingaspirations.com/apps/suspension-geometry-calculator


Thank you James, I have gave myself a right talking-to and have decided to forget about the BMW alloys, hubs, subframe etc - everything about it weighs a tonne!

I have already bought ford sierra front hubs and will buy rear hubs and use Rorty design. Once all done ill buy some shiny alloys.

Questions;
Should I use the BMW diff and have the drive shafts joined to some sierra ones or will the sierra diff take the torque of my engine?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.