Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jag V6 clutch problem, possibly?
40inches

posted on 27/7/16 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Jag V6 clutch problem, possibly?

With the OBP clutch pedal box, the pedal hit the bulkhead, but the clutch released OK.
After around 30 miles it became very difficult to engage gear, so I have modified the pedal ratio from 6:1 to 4:1.
The pedal is now 25mm clear of the bulkhead, and the clutch seems to be working fine again.
The question is: Can there be too much pedal travel? If I turn the gearbox output shaft with it in gear the clutch releases easily, but if I continue pressing the pedal the clutch starts to drag again, is this normal? Will I possibly need to fit a pedal stop?

[Edited on 27-7-16 by 40inches]

r1_pete

posted on 27/7/16 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
It does sound as though you are pushing the clutch diaphragm spring too far and causing the drag, it may be pushing as far as the friction plate, and pressing it into the flywheel.

Could you go for a 5:1 ratio?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 27/7/16 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
It does sound as though you are pushing the clutch diaphragm spring too far and causing the drag, it may be pushing as far as the friction plate, and pressing it into the flywheel.

Could you go for a 5:1 ratio?

It was a pain to modify the pedal box Pete, I managed to move the pivot point down 20mm and remount the master cylinder, it was binding. There is a facility for a screw stop adjuster on the pedal box, I will see if that works.
The pedal feels as if it goes "over centre" so if I set the stop just after the tip over point?

prawnabie

posted on 27/7/16 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem with my mx5 based westfield, I had to put a stop behind the pedal else it would over disengage.
40inches

posted on 27/7/16 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
I had the same problem with my mx5 based westfield, I had to put a stop behind the pedal else it would over disengage.

Do they use a CSC?

r1_pete

posted on 27/7/16 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Gawd, CSC, gets everywhere, my wife's initials, the company I work for.......
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
prawnabie

posted on 27/7/16 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
No just a master + slave cylinder but the problem is exactly the same

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.