Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: So what has happened here?
johnH20

posted on 2/8/16 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
So what has happened here?

Took my MX5 for a track day at Donington about 10 days ago, a round trip of about 400 miles including playtime. No problems of any kind. Next day I manouevered the car on the driveway to remove wheels and check brake wear, not used the car since. Battery is now completely flat - 1.3 volts - and will not charge. What can have happened? ( Battery is probably 4 years old ). Ideas?
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 2/8/16 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
One of the interior lights in the footwell left on?
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 2/8/16 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
A cell has collapsed?
r1_pete

posted on 2/8/16 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Regulator pack in the alternator has failed and over charged the battery to the point of ruination.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 2/8/16 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Most likely cause is a parasitic drain an alternator diode perhaps. There is some voltage left so it will likely recharge, disconnect the battery recharge it fully and start doing normal checks.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

russbost

posted on 3/8/16 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John, if battery won't accept charge then it's knackered anyway. Once new battery is installed I would check that it isn't charging over 14.5V & that there is no drain from the battery when turned off.

Cheers Russ

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
britishtrident

posted on 3/8/16 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Did you disconnect the battery before trying to charge ? it as a bad diode pack can easily leak more current back to ground than most battery chargers can provide.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Camber Dave

posted on 3/8/16 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem on an MX 5 also after o long journey.

Did usual checks, recharged battery and send Alternator for overhaul
Good company checked it and reported on fault - No charge to me

I searched further and I am fairly sure it was a lack of or too little supply on the field terminal. the small one on the alternator ,l M6 if I remember.
I had disturbed a lot of stuff checking right through the system, so don't know exactly where the problem was but no recurrence in 12 months.

johnH20

posted on 10/8/16 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input chaps, quite a few things to check for. I am out of the country for a few weeks yet so cannot action anything. For the record neither my main charger or trickle charger would show any activity when attached to the battery ( in situ ). I am guessing that maybe there is a short somewhere and that the internal protection on the chargers is inhibiting them. ( I did not check battery resistance which would presumably have shown this )
russbost

posted on 10/8/16 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
You need to disconnect battery asap, then try a recharge, tho' if it's been connected with a drain all this time battery pretty much has to have had it anyway!

Once you have a charged battery on there you can start checking the other stuff, but alternator diodes causing drain down is easily isolated by disconnecting the alternator feed(s)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
russbost

posted on 10/8/16 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
You need to disconnect battery asap, then try a recharge, tho' if it's been connected with a drain all this time battery pretty much has to have had it anyway!

Once you have a charged battery on there you can start checking the other stuff, but alternator diodes causing drain down is easily isolated by disconnecting the alternator feed(s)

johnH20

posted on 10/8/16 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Russ. I have a track day booked at Castle Coombe three days after we get back. I had planned to take the MX5 as it seemed to be inherently more reliable at this stage than my Cyclone which is still something of an unknown quantity. Looks like I will be taking the Cyclone instead even though the rear suspension is off at he moment for a spring change!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.