Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Disco 3/4
Jon Ison

posted on 2/8/16 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Disco 3/4

Why should/shouldn't I buy one?

Budget may stretch to a higher miles 4 or should I stick with the 3 ?

tul214

posted on 3/8/16 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 55 plate Disco 3. It was large, comfy, and would take you anywhere. We had it to pull the horse trailer but then bought a 7.5t lorry so had no use for it but I would have another (Disco 4) tomorrow.

There are lots of horror stories and most of them true....and well documented on the Disco3.co.uk forum so have a look on there. I suppose the worse promlem is the 2.7 engine seizure stories. Most are due to oil pump failure. 07 have the weakest pump and often fail after a cam belt swap. There is a fix - a stronger pump that was fitted to later models. Wishbone bushes wear quickly and any knocking at the front end will be these or the anti roll bar bushes. The hand brake module is rarely used on auto cars so seizes. If it screeches when activated it is on its way out. They are sensitive to tracking and tyres can wear oddly at the edges -check insides as well as out. The other big issue is the compressor. If the suspension light is on its knackered. Not a show stopper - 500 quid but the car may need coding to the new compressor.

As I say, lots of issues but they are a big heavy car. I have driven the Disco 4 and the 3litre engine is MUCH better - especially with the 8 speed auto box.

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

Matt21

posted on 3/8/16 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
I was looking for a disco 3, however the horror stories of turbo, gearbox, diffs etc failing really put me off.
They're all quite major issues and I didn't want the hassle

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

tul214

posted on 3/8/16 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
I was looking for a disco 3, however the horror stories of turbo, gearbox, diffs etc failing really put me off.
They're all quite major issues and I didn't want the hassle

The items you have listed are not common issues though. I would recomend having a read of the forum and looking for an ethustiasts car that will have lots of history.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.