Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modifying a vintage car and the IVA
bumpy

posted on 12/8/16 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Modifying a vintage car and the IVA

Here's a few question I have never seen resolved.

You take a (say) 1955 car and convert it to a hot rod, by changing back axle, front axle, steering box, engine and gearbox. In order to do this you either have to create a new chassis or heavily modify the existing chassis.

1. Should the finished car have an IVA by law?
2. Given the mixture of components, after an IVA, will the authorities insist on a Q plate?
3. Does such a modified car (hot rod) command higher insurance premiums than the vintage car it replaced.

Lets see if we can thrash this out

Cheers

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/8/16 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Simply put, if you modify the chassis, it requires IVA.
Modified cars (usually!) get charged more insurance. Oddly enough, my previous spitfire was fitted with a zetec, and the insurance broker though that was not a major mod and worth mentioning. It was recorded on the paperwork at my insistence, but no extra premium. And yes, I did write it off, and the payout was painless. (getting the remains back was harder due to company incompetence, though the broker sorted that)

cs3tcr

posted on 12/8/16 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
There's a guy on Retro Rides going through the process:

Modified Anglia - IVA

It's an enjoyable read, and should answer your question.

[Edited on 12/8/16 by cs3tcr]

bumpy

posted on 12/8/16 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Seems there are a lot of hot rods out there without IVA tests
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 13/8/16 at 05:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yes there are a lot of illegally registered hot rods out there
bumpy

posted on 13/8/16 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2

What risks are these owners taking?

If there was an accident etc who would be legally responsible, the builder or the owner?

Also do insurance companies ever ask for IVA proof when presented with a heavily modified car?

bumpy

posted on 13/8/16 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
This document supports what has been said here ie that any mods to the chassis require an IVA test.

Vehicles that have been radically altered

This covers vehicles which are radically altered from their original specification, but which are not kit conversions.

In these cases, the vehicle components from the original vehicle will be given a number of points. To keep the original registration number, the vehicle must have eight or more points, which must include the original or new unmodified chassis or monocoque bodyshell.

If the vehicle has less than eight points, a second-hand or altered chassis, frame or monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must have IVA, so that it can be registered. A 'Q' registration number will then be issued,

The following points will be given to the original major components used.

i. Chassis or monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) (original or new)
Direct replacement from the manufacturers - 5 points
ii. Suspension (front & back) - 2 points
iii. Axles (both) - 2 points
iv. Transmission - 2 points
v. Steering assembly - 2 points
vi. Engine - 1 point

bumpy

posted on 13/8/16 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Well now I am royally confused. I was looking to buy a hot rod and got this reply from the owner about IVA

"It is a historic vehicle which is registered as a 1928 which means it would not require an IVA certification."

[Edited on 13/8/16 by bumpy]

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 13/8/16 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
If the car was modified before SVA started then it's ok after that it is a grey area but by rights if it's radical modified it should going SVA and now IVA and it would more than likely lose its historic vehicle status. My 100e hotrod was modified before SVA so it's ok but most are not !!!
bumpy

posted on 13/8/16 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If the car was modified before SVA started then it's ok after that it is a grey area but by rights if it's radical modified it should going SVA and now IVA and it would more than likely lose its historic vehicle status. My 100e hotrod was modified before SVA so it's ok but most are not !!!

Well the SVA came into law in 1996.

Any chassis that has been modified since then will require an SVA or latterly an IVA to be within the law.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 13/8/16 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
SVA came fully into force 2000 but things started to change in 1998 onwards when dvla started inspecting cars chassis numbers etc
chillis

posted on 13/8/16 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Well the SVA came into law in 1996.

Any chassis that has been modified since then will require an SVA or latterly an IVA to be within the law.

This is where the grey area is. VOSA didn't define what radically altered or unacceptable modification actually was until the IVA came in, in the late naughties, thus those awful products from Paul Banham and the like were able to evade the SVA as they used the body/chassis unit and all the mechanicals from a single car.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

bumpy

posted on 13/8/16 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
What do you think of this reply when I told the seller I was concerned at a lack of SVA/IVA inspection on a recently hot rodded 1928 car

"That is on any car from 1960 onwards. Any car from 1960 onwards, if modified would require to be put through the the IVA examination. "

minibull

posted on 14/8/16 at 02:39 AM Reply With Quote
Current rules re chassis/body have been in place for 30 years or so (probably pre date SVA, can't remember) however until recently DVLA made no attempt to enforce them. Then an idiot in a badly modified Land Rover killed his children when largely due to the poor mods it finished in a river. As the car would not have been on the road had DVLA enforced it's rules they have now started doing so. If they suspect a car has modifications contrary to it's registration ie chassis mods they suspend registration, then notify owner that car needs inspection prior to being allowed back on road.Should inspection confirm chassis is altered it needs IVA and reregistering. At least one priceless Bugatti has already fallen foul due to non original chassis. As to how they know I presume they read e bay ads, car forums, and people tell them. Major projects shouldn't be to much of a problem as building to IVA requirements can be factored in from the start. It's the relatively minor things such as fitting type 9 gearbox into 60's fords, cutting tunnel is considered a major mod, but all the other unaltered 1960's parts won't pass an IVA.
bumpy

posted on 14/8/16 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that useful bit of info. It does put the whole topic in perspective.

"It's the relatively minor things such as fitting type 9 gearbox into 60's fords, cutting tunnel is considered a major mod, but all the other unaltered 1960's parts won't pass an IVA."

This is a very interesting observation. Does it mean that once an old 'modified' car goes for IVA, the inspector is likely to judge all parts of the car, not just the modification.

[Edited on 14/8/16 by bumpy]

froggy

posted on 14/8/16 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
If your v5 relates to a factory built car you run the risk of issues with DVla/ Vosa as its a matter of record what it should consist of any why lots of rods run foul of the rules . Two axle rigid body on the v5 with a made up vin that doesn't cross over to a manufacturer is pretty hard for DVla to argue what it should or shouldn't use as running gear or powertrain .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

Fatgadget

posted on 14/8/16 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

What's new eh!...It's the ringers you ought to be wary of!

perksy

posted on 14/8/16 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
So Z cars Mini's should all go through SVA/IVA then ?
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/8/16 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yes
Oddified

posted on 14/8/16 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Most old cars wouldn't pass the iva if they'd just left the show room, so any one currently modifying them isn't going to jump at putting them through the iva if they can skirt round it. Good, bad, right or wrong, that's how it is.

I know a few people with Series Landrovers with modified discovery chassis/running gear underneath on the road. Gone through an iva...no chance on this planet!.

Before any one gets their big horse out of the stable, i don't have a landrover and i did my Kitten long before the iva/sva came in!.

Ian

alfas

posted on 22/8/16 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
check the sammio / ribble builds:

for pre-inspection (if the car is ok for obtaining the re-body status, not having to pass IVA) the cars are presented with the non-modified triumph herlad chassis, where the rear outriggers stick out of the body. (20cm or so)

after inspection, the owners finish the car by grinding off the 20cm, fibreglass the hole in the GRP-body and finish the car.

means: such stupid 20cm decide between non-IVA or IVA and legally, after grinding-off the outtriggers the car, isnt a re-body anymore!!!

[Edited on 22/8/16 by alfas]

britishtrident

posted on 22/8/16 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minibull
Current rules re chassis/body have been in place for 30 years or so (probably pre date SVA, can't remember) however until recently DVLA made no attempt to enforce them. Then an idiot in a badly modified Land Rover killed his children when largely due to the poor mods it finished in a river. As the car would not have been on the road had DVLA enforced it's rules they have now started doing so. If they suspect a car has modifications contrary to it's registration ie chassis mods they suspend registration, then notify owner that car needs inspection prior to being allowed back on road.Should inspection confirm chassis is altered it needs IVA and reregistering. At least one priceless Bugatti has already fallen foul due to non original chassis. As to how they know I presume they read e bay ads, car forums, and people tell them. Major projects shouldn't be to much of a problem as building to IVA requirements can be factored in from the start. It's the relatively minor things such as fitting type 9 gearbox into 60's fords, cutting tunnel is considered a major mod, but all the other unaltered 1960's parts won't pass an IVA.

The irony is my understanding is the tragic fatal with the Landrover probably was caused by the idiots lack of judgement of the conditions he chose to take the vehicle into than and not the stupid asymetric parts swap he did on the braking system.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.