Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9 conversion help
TheHighlander123

posted on 29/8/16 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9 conversion help

I've just bought a bike engine to do a conversion over winter.

The kit I bought was in a kit car so comes with

Engine/carbs etc
Ecu
Modified loom
Clocks
Ignition barrel
Fuel pump
Low level sump for a kit car
Exhaust manifold
Mounting brackets and switches

What I need so far I think - any other info would be great

Gear selector kit (seen one on a kit car parts site for £150)
Reverse kit (will make one from a starter motor kit I think
Maybe change my rear diff as I have a 3.38 or 68 I think will need to check

Just trying to think of anything else, seen some videos of zx9s and they seem quick enough, be a fair difference from my Xflow (which was just rebuilt so will sell it all in winter)

Paying for it tomorrow when TNT collect it on a pallet.

Westfield SEIW 1700 Forged crossflow, twin 40s etc etc etc - Now about to do a ZX9R

bowood14

posted on 29/8/16 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
How old/model is the engine ? C is before 2000 or E engines are 2000/2001
If its an earlier one (C) they have problems with the gearboxes especially in a kit car ask me how I know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had an E engine for 3 years without any problems. Look at my videos on you tube aidy1162

TheHighlander123

posted on 29/8/16 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bowood14
How old/model is the engine ? C is before 2000 or E engines are 2000/2001
If its an earlier one (C) they have problems with the gearboxes especially in a kit car ask me how I know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had an E engine for 3 years without any problems. Look at my videos on you tube aidy1162

It's a C2 but not to worry as the kit comes with ANOTHER spare engine and box haha.

Do I need an oil cooler?

Westfield SEIW 1700 Forged crossflow, twin 40s etc etc etc - Now about to do a ZX9R

bowood14

posted on 29/8/16 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I went through 3 C engines in 1 year there is a mod you can do to the gearbox
my E has lasted 3 years
I don't run an oil cooler. I run Sierra diff 3.38 LSD

[Edited on 29/8/16 by bowood14]

TheHighlander123

posted on 29/8/16 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bowood14
I went through 3 C engines in 1 year there is a mod you can do to the gearbox
my E has lasted 3 years
I don't run an oil cooler. I run Sierra diff 3.38 LSD

[Edited on 29/8/16 by bowood14]

Thanks buddy.

Any pics of your engine etc, i may harass you for information when I begin this.

Did you put a rod through the block by any chance

40inches

posted on 29/8/16 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
You will need a mounting cradle.
There are plenty of photos in my archive that may help http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php

OliilO

posted on 29/8/16 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
As your car is already on the road, I wouldn't bother with a reverse box.

I've not got one in my BEC and have never wished I had one. You just need a bit of forward planning sometimes!

bowood14

posted on 30/8/16 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Only ever had gearbox issues not engine issues,
TheHighlander123

posted on 30/8/16 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO

I've not got one in my BEC and have never wished I had one. You just need a bit of forward planning sometimes!

I suppose, I hardly ever use reverse anyway and like you say forward planning.

I did think about a stater motor, ring gear on the shaft just so it would trundle back if needed.

The photo archive is empty, i think i seen the mounting cradle for £140 on the westfield shop but i think he said it comes with it.

40inches

posted on 30/8/16 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
My mistake, the link would be to your archive Doh!
Click on my photo archive, on the left <-----------
There are photos of the electric reverse I built, but as said, not worth the trouble. I removed mine after IVA.

TheHighlander123

posted on 31/8/16 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you for all the information.

What do I use for a throttle cable and clutch cable?

40inches

posted on 31/8/16 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I used the ZX9R clutch cable, and made the throttle cable using bike brake cables and fittings from Halfords.
Fit the clutch cable as close to the pedal pivot point as possible, and BEC's benefit from a throttle cable reduction linkage of some sort
Description
Description

CosKev3

posted on 31/8/16 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
As above,to make the car easier to use/drive I've altered the ratio on the clutch and the throttle.
As the standard bike ratio is made to be used by hand I find both of them too sensitive/sharp for nice road driving once you are using your feet!
you will need to make up some sort of stops/restrictions for the clutch and throttle pedals,as the pedals will over pull both the clutch and throttle.

sdh2903

posted on 31/8/16 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure the zx9 is the right way to go? Your forged crossflow will probably have the same if not slightly more bhp and a good chunk more of torque than a c2 motor. Yes you will lose a chunk of weight and gain the sensation of a bec plus the bonus of a sequential box (not strongest on the zx9). I would just be concerned that after all the effort and money you may end up a little underwhelmed.

I'm not in anyway saying don't go BEC, as for a point to point blat or track they are peerless. However if I was converting a car today I would be looking at a more modern lump. The prices of the zx10r or 5vy R1 lumps are not overly expensive anymore and give a good 40bhp over their older cousins.

It may well be more cost upfront however may be cheaper than doing a second conversion in a years time.

Steve

CosKev3

posted on 31/8/16 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheHighlander123
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO

I suppose, I hardly ever use reverse anyway and like you say forward planning.

I did think about a stater motor, ring gear on the shaft just so it would trundle back if needed.

The photo archive is empty, i think i seen the mounting cradle for £140 on the westfield shop but i think he said it comes with it.

Has the package come out of a Westfield chassis?
If not you might need to add some pieces to your chassis or modify the cradle to get it to fit.
Worth finding out about the lower engine mounting points too,as 99% of BECs have these welded to the chassis,so you will probably need to make some up.
Also I don't think you will get a cradle for a zx9 off the westfield site as they never made a westfield with the zx9 engine?

TheHighlander123

posted on 31/8/16 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure the zx9 is the right way to go? Your forged crossflow will probably have the same if not slightly more bhp and a good chunk more of torque than a c2 motor. Yes you will lose a chunk of weight and gain the sensation of a bec plus the bonus of a sequential box (not strongest on the zx9). I would just be concerned that after all the effort and money you may end up a little underwhelmed.

I'm not in anyway saying don't go BEC, as for a point to point blat or track they are peerless. However if I was converting a car today I would be looking at a more modern lump. The prices of the zx10r or 5vy R1 lumps are not overly expensive anymore and give a good 40bhp over their older cousins.

It may well be more cost upfront however may be cheaper than doing a second conversion in a years time.

Steve

I hear what your saying but this deal fell onto my lap, 2 complete engines etc etc far too cheap for me to pass up on.

I'm sure I will bang another engine in it if its too slow but I'll get the majority of the car prepped.

Will keep me going over winter.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.