Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top speed of a Fury, Phoenix or J15?
reb

posted on 10/9/16 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Top speed of a Fury, Phoenix or J15?

Hi,

what kind of top speed are you achieving with your Fury or Phoenix or J15?

Please also tell me how much horsepower you have and if you run out of steam or if the gearing is limiting your top speed.

I am trying to find a proper final drive ratio, hence the questions.

FuryRebuild

posted on 10/9/16 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
My furyused to start feeling light at the front 130 so I backed off then. 170 Bhp pinto.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

bi22le

posted on 10/9/16 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Wait for JeffW with a terminal 150+ and lots of power followed by everybody else with 130mph tops.

BECs and CECs have different issues. BEC will often max out on gear ratio, CEC will max out on power vs drag.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

jeffw

posted on 11/9/16 at 05:15 AM Reply With Quote
They will go as fast as you want them too. Mine is geared to redline in 6th at 165MPH on the GPS and it will hit the limiter. Most Fury/Phoenix/Stylus with 200ish BHP will so 130-140MPH, most BECs are limited by their gearing but there are various cars around (Mine with 400BHP, Dave Edmunds 650BHP Cossie engine Phoenix and a certain mad rotary stylus plus others) which will do upto 160-170mph. After 160MPH the aero kills any more speed with these bodys.

mark chandler

posted on 11/9/16 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
3.14 diff, BEC limited by the gearing in the 130's, it will hit this on most tracks, including brands Indi and Lydden hill,
FuryRebuild

posted on 11/9/16 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
This conversation got very interesting. Jeff, what did you do about aero? Did you find yours getting light?

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
They will go as fast as you want them too. Mine is geared to redline in 6th at 165MPH on the GPS and it will hit the limiter. Most Fury/Phoenix/Stylus with 200ish BHP will so 130-140MPH, most BECs are limited by their gearing but there are various cars around (Mine with 400BHP, Dave Edmunds 650BHP Cossie engine Phoenix and a certain mad rotary stylus plus others) which will do upto 160-170mph. After 160MPH the aero kills any more speed with these bodys.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

reb

posted on 11/9/16 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info so far.

I am just converting from CEC to BEC.

However if possible I would like to stick to 13" rims and hence even the 3.14 sierra diff is not long enough for a hayabusa engine.

According to my calculations the hayabausa gearing, with a 3.14 diff and 185/60R13 tyres will "only" do 130mph in 6th gear.

I assume that the gearing would limit the top speed with such a setup and not the drag with a 200hp Hayabusa engine. What do you think?

The Furys, Phoenix, J15, they all should be able to reach higher speeds due to the better aerodynamics compared to normal seven type kit cars.

Hence I thought about converting to a BMW E36 differential, they are all available with clutch type LSDs (as an option) and they are as low as 2.56.

Other available ratios are 2.93, 3.07, 3.15, 3.23, 3.38, 3.45, 4.44.

Also it is much easier and cheaper to find a BMW diff compared to a Freelander or Sierra unit.

However the BMW diff weights around 34kg, so there is a weight penalty as these diffs have a steel housing, not an aluminium one.

I am also aware that I have to fab up some new diff mounts and get new axles made.

In the future I might want to turbocharge the motorcycle engine to around 250-300whp and then the lower final ratio of the E36 diff will become very useful.

If the front gets light on high speeds one should add a front splitter to increase front downforce, obviously this modification will eat some horsepower but will add stability.

[Edited on 11/9/16 by reb]

adithorp

posted on 11/9/16 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running a tuned R1 (170bhp at the wheels+125nm) through a Freelander 3.21 diff and 205/60/13's. Theoretical max is 149mph though the most I've had on the clock is 136 at Bruntingthorp (1/2 runway) but still pulling and was holding it's own against some very exotic machinery (though the RS6's+GT-R's were in another league). I've had 230kph (144mph) in Europe (and still pulling... just). The speedo is checked with sat nav so those are accurate. Once past 125-130 it's a pretty slow process and don't think even with more road it'd hit the theoretical max). Front end is getting light at that.

With a Busa you might need 205's on the rear anyway so it's worth redoing the calcs for a 3.14 with those.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Sam_68

posted on 11/9/16 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I had an 'old shape' Phoenix with the 'downforce' (air dam) bonnet.

It was geared for a theoretical 141mph, but the fastest I ever saw was 136mph on GPS, with a circa 155bhp Crossflow. That was on a long straight on a public road.

It didn't feel light at the front end, especially, but it was skipping about and wandering a bit (it was running toe-out at the front, with race springs at the time, and on a not very even road surface), so I didn't feel inclined to go any faster.

I don't think you'll find many people who feel the need to go much over 125-130mph on a regular basis in these sorts of cars, though: particularly if you're not wearing a full-face helmet, it is a fairly intense experience!

Furyous

posted on 11/9/16 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
My Fury used to have a 110bhp Crossflow with 3.89 English axle. It felt like it hit a wall at 100mph and although it was still rising at 110mph it was just creeping up. I never got to its actual top speed.
jeffw

posted on 12/9/16 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
This conversation got very interesting. Jeff, what did you do about aero? Did you find yours getting light?

The car has always had a chin spoiler which helps a lot. I've been playing with rear diffusers and front splitters this year but I'm not sure it has any effect at all. Down the Lavant straight at Goodwood at 150MPH plus it is completely fine.

mark chandler

posted on 12/9/16 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reb
Thanks for all the info so far.

I am just converting from CEC to BEC.

However if possible I would like to stick to 13" rims and hence even the 3.14 sierra diff is not long enough for a hayabusa engine.

According to my calculations the hayabausa gearing, with a 3.14 diff and 185/60R13 tyres will "only" do 130mph in 6th gear.

I assume that the gearing would limit the top speed with such a setup and not the drag with a 200hp Hayabusa engine. What do you think?

[Edited on 11/9/16 by reb]

Geared to 130mph will not be enough, my 200hp turbo blade gets straight to the Rev limit with 205/60/13's

You can get step up reverse boxes, they may be rubbish of course.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.