Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best "Glue"
AndyW

posted on 22/9/16 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Best "Glue"

Hi

I have had the magnet come off my prop again. I have tried various fixing methods all to a clean bare metal surface but time and time again it comes off. Been about 5 times now.

So, what is the best glue/adhesive to attach it for a longer period?

Thanks

Andy

ragindave

posted on 22/9/16 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Would Tiger Seal PU adhesive not do it?
mark chandler

posted on 22/9/16 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I tried various glues, araldite etc and they all flew off, a propshaft at 6000rpm will throw off most things, my pickup is now on the rear halfshaft.

[Edited on 22/9/16 by mark chandler]

chris_smith

posted on 22/9/16 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not fabricate some tabs/lugs that trap the magnet then weld them to the shaft?

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

twybrow

posted on 22/9/16 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I use plastic metal (epoxy). I build up a small amount all around each magnet and then over the top. I lost a magnet, but only as a result of my prop coming loose many moons ago.
jacko

posted on 22/9/16 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
What about gorilla glue the advert says its the best on the market
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 22/9/16 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I use plastic metal (epoxy). I build up a small amount all around each magnet and then over the top. I lost a magnet, but only as a result of my prop coming loose many moons ago.

Same here, 3 different props, no magnets lost. I always file a small flat on the prop, or better still the diff /prop mounting flange, for a better bonding surface.

obfripper

posted on 22/9/16 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Wurth Dual Cartridge Gun.Replast Easy Fast 2K Plastic Adhesive Black 50ml Kit

It's not cheap but sticks amazingly well and doesn't deteriorate with amine blush like a lot of epoxy based adhesives do.
If you know someone who works in a bodyshop/garage they are likely to use this stuff and could probably sort something out for a few beer tokens.

Dave

owelly

posted on 22/9/16 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I drilled a counterbore in my flange (OOER MISSUS) and Araldited the magnet in. It was a ery snug fit witout the glue!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 22/9/16 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Cover each magnet with a small patch of epoxy / carbon to spread the load?
coozer

posted on 22/9/16 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I drilled a hole in the yoke, 2mm bigger than the magnet and half the thickness of it deep. Filled the hole with jb weld pushed the bmagnet so it was bjust proud and that was it!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Irony

posted on 22/9/16 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I drilled a tiny hole as well. Snug fit. Once I put the magnet in to test fit I couldn't get the bugger back out. Took me a age to sort it.
mcerd1

posted on 23/9/16 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Or change your sensor to one that doesn't need magnets

http://www.etbinstruments.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=99_110&product_id=56

with regards to the one with the magnets that etb sell they say - "Not recommended for new installations - in stock for direct replacements only!"

[Edited on 23/9/2016 by mcerd1]

-

nick205

posted on 23/9/16 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
From memory on my Sierra based MK Indy I used a two part adhesive to stick the magnets on the rear of the prop (just before if entered the diff.) and they never came off. May have been Araldite or similar.

russbost

posted on 23/9/16 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
It is ESSENTIAL to have the surface spotlessly clean, don't clean off with petrol/paraffin as they leave an oily residue, clean till shiny, preferably file a small flat, then wipe down with meths or nail varnish remover, brake cleaner or similar. If it's clean araldite should work fine, tho' I find JB Weld to be a better product. Making a small counterbored hole for the magnet to fit into as suggested above is pretty much foolproof as it gives the epoxy a much larger area to stick too, also helps to keep the prop in balance!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jacko

posted on 23/9/16 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
Wurth Dual Cartridge Gun.Replast Easy Fast 2K Plastic Adhesive Black 50ml Kit

It's not cheap but sticks amazingly well and doesn't deteriorate with amine blush like a lot of epoxy based adhesives do.
If you know someone who works in a bodyshop/garage they are likely to use this stuff and could probably sort something out for a few beer tokens.

Dave

We use this at work and it is good on plastic like car bumpers but i would not use it on metal its to brittle and dose not adera very good
jacko

LBMEFM

posted on 23/9/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Mine have been in place for five years, Alraldite then wrapped in Gaffer tape. Speedo works well with magnets still in place.

[Edited on 23/9/16 by LBMEFM]

nelmo

posted on 24/9/16 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Go to a model shop and ask for this glue - by far the strongest stuff I have ever used. I've managed to glue my nail down onto the skin of the finger underneath and took 2 days of scrubbing to get it off.

Build Blog

SJ

posted on 24/9/16 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I used 2 part epoxy plus a cable tie. It's been on for 8+ years now.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.