Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Iphone?
swanny

posted on 23/9/16 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Iphone?

my current iphone three is about knackered but its been really good.

does anyone have a newer iphone spare due to an upgrade? ideally 16mb or larger my current 8mb cant cope with too many apps and no music.

budget: up to a couple of hundred depending on what it is...

thanks

paul

nick205

posted on 23/9/16 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting - SWMBO has just binned an iPhone 4 for a Samsung Galaxy A3 - she didn't get on with the iPhone at all.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini 16gB and have recently fitted a 64gB micro SD card to gain more space for apps and music.

swanny

posted on 23/9/16 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I do love the idea of expanding memory. i have a lumia 640 from work and that now holds loads of stuff, spotify downloaded playlists etc.

but the thing is soo huge and i'd rather not having to constantly carry two phones around if i want music.

Irony

posted on 23/9/16 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Friend of mine had a broken Galaxy S4. She gave it to me. She had bought 3 new batteries trying to cure the charging issue. Bought a new charging circuit board for £9.95 and a awesome 64gb memory card for £13. Factory rest and repaired. It is awesome and locost.

I am a Apple user and have been for 20 years. I run a team of designers and I would never touch an iPhone. I just do not like being dictated to. I plug my android phone into my computer and just drag and drop any files I want.

Go Android and be free.......

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 23/9/16 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a brand new 16GB iPhone 6 here, BNIB that is surplus to my requirements. It is boxed with new charger, headphones etc.. I was on EE, but this may well be unlocked to any network - I've not even turned it on to check!

£350 posted (I'll be sending it by recorded courier) - which is £100 less than they go for on eBay.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

computid

posted on 23/9/16 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
When my 7 plus is delivered over the next couple of weeks I'll have a 128GB iPhone 6S Plus available for £500. Space grey, perfect condition, always cased. Will come in original box with headphones, charger etc. Unlocked.

Cheers,

Adam

nick205

posted on 23/9/16 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Friend of mine had a broken Galaxy S4. She gave it to me. She had bought 3 new batteries trying to cure the charging issue. Bought a new charging circuit board for £9.95 and a awesome 64gb memory card for £13. Factory rest and repaired. It is awesome and locost.

I am a Apple user and have been for 20 years. I run a team of designers and I would never touch an iPhone. I just do not like being dictated to. I plug my android phone into my computer and just drag and drop any files I want.

Same for me - I have an iPad3, but Apple IMHO are as bad if not worse than Microsoft and Google in forcing you to behave their way. Android phones work fine for me and you seem to have a little more say in how you use them. A +ve comment I would make on the iPad is the battery life, which is good. Most phone batteries are pretty naff.

computid

posted on 23/9/16 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

Same for me - I have an iPad3, but Apple IMHO are as bad if not worse than Microsoft and Google in forcing you to behave their way. Android phones work fine for me and you seem to have a little more say in how you use them. A +ve comment I would make on the iPad is the battery life, which is good. Most phone batteries are pretty naff.

I work in systems development and a lot of my job focuses around mobile platform security. I would not touch an android device with a barge pole, the system is so full of security holes you may as well just hand over your confidential data to a Nigerian prince! It'll probably be safer in his hands.

At the end of the day for the average user it's probably fine, but for the average user I'd say you probably don't need the extra platform customisation features that Android offers and you would probably be better off with an iPhone. Or for that matter, a Windows phone. They're only really more secure than Android because they're so rare no ones really bothered to try and find the holes in the platform yet.

britishtrident

posted on 23/9/16 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Android or Windows is the way to go.
I have went off Samsung because they are trying to vere away from standard Android too much, currently the wife and I are both using HTC's which we are over the moon with.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

loggyboy

posted on 23/9/16 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by computid
I work in systems development and a lot of my job focuses around mobile platform security. I would not touch an android device with a barge pole, the system is so full of security holes you may as well just hand over your confidential data to a Nigerian prince! It'll probably be safer in his hands.

Android has nearly a 70% market share - i think if they were as insecure as you make out the problems would be much more well known.

Mistral Motorsport

swanny

posted on 23/9/16 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
got me thinking about htc phones at present, thanks for the feedback
AndyW

posted on 23/9/16 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I have an iPhone 6 16gb tiny crack in screen works fine £180 + p&p
computid

posted on 23/9/16 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Android has nearly a 70% market share - i think if they were as insecure as you make out the problems would be much more well known.

Just this year's biggest ones:

http://www.techworld.com/security/androids-6-biggest-security-flaws-2016-3622116/

pekwah1

posted on 23/9/16 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
There's a lot of iphone bashers out there, and although i will accept that Apple are interesting in some of their approaches and that a lot of stuff is restricted, i still maintain that it's just a much cleaner and easier interface to use.
That's why i've stuck with the iphone. I've got an Galaxy S6 that i'm using at the moment and i don't really get on with the Android interface, it just annoys me tbh....

Will the iphone ever be the "best" phone? Probably not overall, but for just general use i love em!

britishtrident

posted on 23/9/16 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Just this year's biggest ones:

http://www.techworld.com/security/androids-6-biggest-security-flaws-2016-3622116/

Android issues tend to get fixed very quickly and not get covered up.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

computid

posted on 23/9/16 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Which is fine if you run a Nexus device, but most other OEM's tend to take quite a while to push out updates, if they push them out at all, and the user adoption rate of android updates is atrocious.

Here's a chart of adoption rates of iOS 8 vs Android 5:

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/9/16 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
depends much on what you use your phone for

I have both apple and android phones and tablets and by far by a big margin the most useful are the android ones, tied into google drive and photo's, indeed my Motorola Moto G virtually lives with me its so damn handy and I love everything about it.

Compared to the I-phone which seems generally annoying and deliberately designed to be awkward to use while at the same time I'm not sure why it cost so vastly more? and then I had to buy lots of other bits to get half baked solutions to what my Moto does anyway, very weird

[Edited on 23/9/16 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/9/16 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Which is fine if you run a Nexus device, but most other OEM's tend to take quite a while to push out updates, if they push them out at all, and the user adoption rate of android updates is atrocious.

Here's a chart of adoption rates of iOS 8 vs Android 5:

tbh that chart looks like its from Apple and I'd question the reliability of the data. The android apps are not so sensitive to os versions as apple ones and the devices do check for updates by themselves very regularly, too regularly in some cases trying to fill up your memory. Older apple phones especially find themselves not supported at all and it appears apple are deliberately building in software intended to make older devices obsolete, my wife has this with her older iphone she just can't update anymore.

practically says -"your phone is too old for us to care, buy a new one..."

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 23/9/16 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanny
I do love the idea of expanding memory. i have a lumia 640 from work and that now holds loads of stuff, spotify downloaded playlists etc.
but the thing is soo huge and i'd rather not having to constantly carry two phones around if i want music.

I'm using a lumia 735 with an 64GB card in it at the moment - its basically a slightly smaller version of the 640 (4.7" screen rather than 5" and the only thing that seems to suffer is the battery little smaller too

I'm running mine with the latest win10 anniversary update and thats fixed a few of the niggles I had with win8.1
although there are still quite a few things that I think were better on Symbian S60 (as a phone / mp3 player I still love my old N86... ) and no I don't like the various android or iOS version any better

if you already like the windows ones the 735 is not a bad way to go and they are cheap and so far fairly indestructible too

[Edited on 23/9/2016 by mcerd1]

-

computid

posted on 23/9/16 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
tbh that chart looks like its from Apple and I'd question the reliability of the data. The android apps are not so sensitive to os versions as apple ones and the devices do check for updates by themselves very regularly, too regularly in some cases trying to fill up your memory. Older apple phones especially find themselves not supported at all and it appears apple are deliberately building in software intended to make older devices obsolete, my wife has this with her older iphone she just can't update anymore.

practically says -"your phone is too old for us to care, buy a new one..."

I'm not entirely sure of the data source, I grabbed the first chart from a reasonable article in all honesty. It's a well known industry issue that users don't update Android devices though, and mostly this is either down to their device not supporting the latest version or the OEM's simply not releasing the latest versions in any reasonable time, even when those versions include vital security fixes.

As the OS's get more features and functionality system requirements are bound to increase, would you try to run Windows 10 on a PC from 2003? At the rate of change of Mobile OS's at the moment it's not surprising manufacturers (including Apple) drop support for products that are reaching end of life anyway. I'm sorry but if you're still using a 4S or before you're using some seriously old tech (at least in this particularly market haha). If you think the 4S came out October 14, 2011 that's nearly 5 years ago. 5 years in this industry is a long time and it's in my opinion unreasonable to expect software support on devices that old. People would probably complain more if Apple released iOS10 for the 4S and before but it was dog slow taking 1 minute to unlock or similar.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.