Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3 wheeled scooter legality.
scotty g

posted on 26/10/16 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
3 wheeled scooter legality.

Was following a guy on one of those scooters with the 3 wheels (2 at the front) and it took me a while to notice he wasn't wearing a crash helmet.
Now obviously this was stupid but it got me wondering is that because its classed as a trike? And if so does that mean we could ride one on a car licence?
Whats the legal stand point with these things guys, any ideas?

[Edited on 26/10/16 by scotty g]

ragindave

posted on 26/10/16 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Driving licence requirements
The driving licence legislation for three-wheelers (tricycles ), irrespective of whether they are car or motorcycle based, changed considerably on 19.01.13. The two most important changes were that from 19.01.13, new rider/drivers:

must be a minimum of 21 years of age (for tricycles over 15 kW ), and
require a motorcycle licence (category A or A1) to be able to drive them because they no longer fall within category B1.
The changes only affect those taking their test after 19.01.13. Those riders/drivers with existing full entitlement to ride/drive B1 category vehicles gained before 19.01.13 will retain that entitlement. However, when the holders of such licences exchange them, DVLA will add a new entitlement 'category A (limited to tricycles - - restriction code 79)', to their licence.

Riding a tricycle with a car licence

You can drive a motor tricycle of any power rating if you're over 21 and you have a full car driving licence. If this is not the case you'll need a full category A1 motorbike licence to ride motor tricycles up to a power output of 15 Kilowatts (kW ), and a full category A motorbike licence to ride trikes with a power output more than 15 kW .

A1 motorcycle licence – three-wheelers not exceeding 15 kW
At age 17 or over, you must pass your CBT, theory test and then a practical test on a motorcycle without a sidecar of between 120 and 125cc. You can then ride a motorcycle up to 125cc with a power output up to 11 kW , or a motor tricycle with a power not exceeding 15 kW .

A motorcycle licence – three-wheelers above 15 kW
Test taken on a motorcycle without a sidecar of at least 595cc and an engine power of at least 40 kW ; this gives full access to all motorcycles and motor tricycles. There are two routes to acquire category A:

Progressive access – riders can get this category from age 21 years, provided they have a minimum of two years' experience on a category A2 motorcycle with a full licence and pass the category A practical motorcycle tests
Direct access – riders must be at least 24 years old, have a valid CBT certificate (only if they don't have full entitlement to A1 or A2 because then they will have already completed their CBT to get their A1 or A2 entitlement) and pass the theory and category A practical motorcycle tests
Points to note:

You no longer need a car licence to drive/ride a three-wheeler you need a motorcycle licence.
Provisional B1 entitlement to ride/drive a three-wheeler has been withdrawn from all riders, even if they were using a three-wheeler prior to 19.01.13. After 19.01.13, a provisional licence will only cover riders to ride motor tricycles if they have a physical disability.
The rules apply to all three-wheelers regardless of wheel configuration i.e. two wheels at the front and one at the back or visa versa.
Driving tests for three-wheeled vehicles will only be available for physically disabled drivers. Able-bodied provisional licence holders who wish to ride motor tricycles will have to pass CBT and practical tests on a two wheeled motorcycle A1 or A without a sidecar.

[Edited on 26/10/16 by ragindave]

tr7v8

posted on 26/10/16 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
If he's talking about the Piaggio then there are two model series, one is a motorbike & has narrow front wheels & runs under motorbike rules. The other runs under quadricycles rules & can be driven on a car licence with no L plates & I'd guess no helmet needed. This is because the front wheels are slightly further apart.
http://www.piaggio.com/mp3/uk_EN/

Jim
2005 Porsche Cayenne S
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sold
2010 Maxda MX5 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S (now sold)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Slimy38

posted on 27/10/16 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting topic, I've done a little bit of reading and it would appear the key measurement is 465mm. If the wheels are closer than that then it's a bike with all the licence and helmet privileges that come with it. Over that and it's a trike, so car licence and no helmet.

Of course, there is always the Darwin award nominee aspect, but that's up to the driver/rider.

It's not just the licence and helmet to consider though, things like toll roads and parking restrictions could apply.

morcus

posted on 27/10/16 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Whether or not its the law, would you really be happy riding one without a helmet?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

scotty g

posted on 28/10/16 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Whether or not its the law, would you really be happy riding one without a helmet?

Good god no! Amazed me when i saw the guy riding round on his with no helmet, crazy.

Slimy38

posted on 28/10/16 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

Good god no! Amazed me when i saw the guy riding round on his with no helmet, crazy.

We seem to have a strong quad 'scene' near home, the quads have reg plates but they are absolute hooligans. One cut me up on a roundabout (both turning right but he was in the left lane) and I could only just see the top of his head through the passenger window. And none of them wear helmets.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.