Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a telly
Hodor

posted on 28/10/16 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a telly

Telly has gone pop. Looking at 43" led, non 4k, netflix able set that is sub £450. Anyone got any direct experience or sage advice?

Choice I have is between an LG or a Sony as far as i see. Liked my previous samsung but they don't do a 43" in my price range.

matt5964

posted on 28/10/16 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Sony all the way

http://www.johnlewis.com/compare-products?2795163[:235994015]=sony-bravia-43wd756bu-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-43-with-freeview-hd-cable-management-system& amp;2533179[:235818320]=sony-bravia-48wd653bu-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-48-with-freeview-hd-built-in-wi-fi-cable-management-system

[Edited on 28/10/16 by matt5964]

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

serieslandy

posted on 28/10/16 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
No idea what to go for but if you can wait until the end of November it's Black Friday. There seems to be better deals than any time of year now.
britishtrident

posted on 28/10/16 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
For Netflix just add a Fire TV stick or Roku Streaming stick

[Edited on 29/10/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 28/10/16 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
We have an LG, average picture and slightly below average sound. I've seen Sony's in hotels that I've stayed at, the sound was much worse but the picture was infinitely better. Obviously that is a bit general and probably not related to any specific model.

One thing I would ignore is all the bells and whistles. There's been so many reports of things just 'expiring', either due to over the air software updates or simply older versions no longer working. If you want Netflix, Youtube etc I would recommend an external device.

[Edited on 28/10/16 by Slimy38]

big-vee-twin

posted on 28/10/16 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
When I bought my TV I had every intention of buying Panasonic.

However went to shop and compared side by side Panasonic ,Sony and LG.

The LG was a street and two blocks better than the Panasonic and was waaay better than the Sony. No competition.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

loggyboy

posted on 28/10/16 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Also interested in this as im considering swapping my superb pansasonic plasma for a 4k led due to getting sky q in a few weeks.

Mistral Motorsport

SteveWalker

posted on 28/10/16 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I definitely wouldn't bother with a Smart TV. You don't know how long the manufacturers will support them or what features they may drop at any time. Dumb TV and stick, set-top box or computer for me. As for sound, our Toshiba was bought after I listened to the various alternatives, but you can always add a separate soundbar later.
Vmax1974

posted on 28/10/16 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
We have a Panasonic 48" 4k but also have a roku and that comes on holiday with us roku is just brilliant

gremlin1234

posted on 28/10/16 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor Telly has gone pop. Looking at 43" led, non 4k,
I have to ask why not 4k?

hearbear

posted on 28/10/16 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
We got the Sony with android on it and picture quality is fantastic but sound quality is rubbish. Have to run it through the surround sound system to get decent sound. I have installed Lodi and mobdro straight on it so you don't need to add any other sticks to it.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

britishtrident

posted on 29/10/16 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
We have two LG's and quite like them as other's have said good sound, I have friends with Samsungs and the picture quality and general finish is better but two of the sets developed display problems.

As for external dongles the choice between Roku and Amazon Fire TV really depends on what on-demand networks you want to watch. Sky partly own Roku so their devices are orientated towards Now TV, The Fire TV box or Fire TV stick are needed for Amazon Prime Instant Video. Both brands of course have Netflix and Youtube We tried the Roku II and loved it but switched to Amazon because the we wanted Amazon's own channel. The difference between the Fire Stick and the more expensive Fire TV box isn't huge but the larger Fire TV is capable of a higher definition when connected a suitable TV.

[/I]

davidinhull

posted on 29/10/16 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Go to "richer sounds" and see what they have in
Usually end of line, but tend to get more for your money

Hodor

posted on 29/10/16 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor Telly has gone pop. Looking at 43" led, non 4k,
I have to ask why not 4k?

I don't have any 4k sources and our broadband is bad at just 4meg so we couldn't steam any either.

Thanks for input.

There aren't many branded tellies on sale without smart features as far as i can see, so a cheap panel with a stick probably just makes for a bad picture as at the end of the day as the panel is probably cheap because it's lower quality?

Would have gone with a Samsung if they did a 43" in my price range (not curved).

Ended up going with a sony 43w805c from richer sounds. The lg i was looking at had bad user reviews, the sony had good test reviews.

Maybe look at soundbars for Christmas.

Hodor

posted on 29/10/16 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, and a 6 year guarantee from richer sounds is awesome.

Only having to buy one as my 4 year old samsung died. Bought a replacement psu board for it and it didn't fix it. It had already been repaired 4 times in the first 2 years!

coozer

posted on 29/10/16 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Costco have superb giant tellys on display all showing good content.. there are monthly deals on different models all the time..

This months is a Sony 65" 4K UHD KD65XD7505BU for £1,139.98.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 29/10/16 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
Oh yeah, and a 6 year guarantee from richer sounds is awesome.

Only having to buy one as my 4 year old samsung died. Bought a replacement psu board for it and it didn't fix it. It had already been repaired 4 times in the first 2 years!

As somebody pointed out quite a few TV manufacturers have a reputation for not giving long term app upgrade support for Smart TVs, you can suddenly find you can no longer load Netflix or Amazon or Youtube or the on demand versions of terrestrial broadcasters. These apps are constantly getting upgraded,the service streamers release the apps to the TV manufacturers for testing and push the upgraded app down to the TV man That is why the set top box/dongle solution is popular,

The Amazon Fire TV box seems to cope with slow broadband quite well it has a sizeable RAM memory and it uses AI to preload TV shows.

[/I]

Hodor

posted on 30/10/16 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely up for getting a stick as and when required. A mate swears by his PIKAFLIX IPTV hacked nowtv box that allows you to stream almost everything you can imagine. Will see what happens.
mattf

posted on 9/11/16 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
For Netflix just add a Fire TV stick or Roku Streaming stick

Or, if you have a PS3 or PS4 use the apps on there instead.

[Edited on 9/11/16 by mattf]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.