Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 oil leak, tailhouse bushing?
Rena

posted on 23/11/16 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Type 9 oil leak, tailhouse bushing?

Hi,

I have a type 9 gearbox connected to a Volvo rear axle via a "homemade" propshaft (previous owner made this). It can slide both in the front at the gearbox and back at the rear axle, thatīs not correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rm8wlmF5sc

Last season there was a lot of oil coming out of the gearbox. I took out the gearbox and changed the oil seal and hope the leak would stop. Unfortunately there still was oil leaking from the gearbox.

Because the propshaft isnīt designed right, I will buy a new one this winter.
Is the tailhousing bush worn out? Maybe itīs a god idea to change the bush when the gearbox is out, but is it possible to change it without dismantling the whole gearbox?

One more question, is the angle of the propshaft to much?

Ideas? Thanks!

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

nick205

posted on 23/11/16 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'd guess (as you say) it's the fact that the prop can slide front and back. When building my MK Indy with a Sierra donor to prop could slide front, but was bolted to the diff.

The ability to slide allows for movement of the engine and/or rear axle. Perhaps on your donor assembly the prop was bolted to the gearbox and slide in the diff.

If you've renewed the Type 9 rear oil seal it should be fine - I'd bet on the prop needing to be fixed at one end. That in itself suggests you may need to consider changing the rear axle/diff to solve it though.

mcerd1

posted on 23/11/16 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
looks like you've got a telescopic propshaft as well as the standard sliding joint on the type 9

I think most kits use a solid propshaft (assuming the slide into the gearbox has enough travel to suit your suspension movement)

the telescopic section would be needed if you had a 2 part prop with a bearing in the middle - then teh telescopic bit would deal with the axle movement and the sliding bit in the gearbox would deal with the required movement in the front part..

but saying that I don't see why that would cause a leak ?

-

Rena

posted on 23/11/16 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I will order a new propshaft, not telescopic, but I canīt see why it should be leaking after I changed oil-seal. Maybe if the tailhousing bush is worn out so the propshaft can "wobble" around the output shaft.

Is it difficult to change bushing?

theconrodkid

posted on 23/11/16 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
how much wobble does it have in the back of the box,the extra sliding joint may cause the prop to wobble and wear the rear bush and seal.
been a long time since i took one of these apart but i think you just have to remove the speedo drive and gear selector rod and the tail housing comes off,5th gear stays in it,s housing.
plenty pics on interweb

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

tims31

posted on 23/11/16 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
There is a small breather hole on top of the Type 9 access plate which I think I have heard before that if that is blocked can make the oil leak out from that seal, although I may be wrong but worth a try before a new propshaft. The breather hole is on the rectangular access plate with the small 'bump' on it.

see this thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=199512

[Edited on 23/11/16 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

Rena

posted on 23/11/16 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
how much wobble does it have in the back of the box,the extra sliding joint may cause the prop to wobble and wear the rear bush and seal.
been a long time since i took one of these apart but i think you just have to remove the speedo drive and gear selector rod and the tail housing comes off,5th gear stays in it,s housing.
plenty pics on interweb

Will check wobble during the weekend and come back with a video.

Rena

posted on 23/11/16 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tims31
There is a small breather hole on top of the Type 9 access plate which I think I have heard before that if that is blocked can make the oil leak out from that seal, although I may be wrong but worth a try before a new propshaft. The breather hole is on the rectangular access plate with the small 'bump' on it.

see this thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=199512

[Edited on 23/11/16 by tims31]

I started that thread, unfortunately not the breather :S

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content Đ 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [Đ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.