Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec/st170 main and big end torques
cliftyhanger

posted on 26/11/16 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec/st170 main and big end torques

Just putting my engine back together, and struggling to find info on the big end and main bearing torques. And added to that seems some are saying they are stretcg bolts and should be replaced, but can;t find normal ones for sale, only ARP.

Can anybody point me in the right direction here? Std bolts will be fine, and besides, the mains are marked up as 10.9, so appear to be normal bolts (as opposed to stretch)
Cheers
Clive

chris

posted on 26/11/16 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I tried to find tappet gaps for my St170 engine
Turns out it's a state secret and risked life imprisonment if I carried on with my enquiries

obfripper

posted on 26/11/16 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
The ford etis shows 'refer to relevant section' in the st170 engine torque specs section, and then doesn't have the relevant section for rebuilding the bottom end.
If you are replacing with arp bolts you will need arp's own torque specs with arp lube, or a bolt stretch gauge and the correct bolt stretch value.

These tightening values are for standard bolts in a us focus svt, the engine is identical to the st170 lump.

Main bearing cap bolts

Stage 1: 25 Nm
Stage 2: 60 degrees

Connecting rod bearing cap bolts

Stage 1: 35 Nm
Stage 2: 90 degrees

I will have a look at the older pc tis discs to see if it's a website omission or if the section was never published for the st170.
The bolts are stretch, but there is a possibility that the bearing cap bolts may have a limited reuse capacity, as the head bolts are also stretch and can be reused twice before replacement and should be dot punched to indicate previous reuse.
Main dealers will be able to supply standard bolts, pumaspeed or burtons may supply them.

Dave

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/11/16 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
That is really useful info.

Seems it is easier to find specs (and parts) for a 1960's engine than a 15 year old ford one (guess because so few actually get rebuilt)

I have now ordered a set of ARP BE bolts, and will reuse the mains. Still a bit confused with the 10.9 spec on those, and they just don't look like stretch bolts. Ho hum.

Cheers
Clive

Hornet

posted on 27/11/16 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Never worked on the st170 just the duratec and sima ze. If the 170 is the ladder type bearing carrier then I wouldn't worry about using same bolts. Not a lot of stress on them. The big end bolts are your main concern and as you state, you have bought arp ones

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.