Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hot Frog 230v Engine pre-heater
britishtrident

posted on 3/12/16 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hot Frog 230v Engine pre-heater

I fitted an electric block pre-heater yesterday a German brand called "Hot Frog". The model that arrived was a bit oversized for the car. I ended up squeezing it in in the by-pass hose between the cylinder outlet and the heat.
When I tested it rasised the coolant temperature from 3.5c to 21c in less than 10 minutes after that rate of warming up slowed down and peaked at about 55c after 30 minutes. On start up the upstream oxygen sensor came to life almost immediately and the engine went closed loop in just over a minute.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

FuryRebuild

posted on 3/12/16 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've often thought about one of these. It could save a life t of wear. Does it pump oil or water around?

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

mark chandler

posted on 3/12/16 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Still growing palm trees down south, no need for that malarkey
Wadders

posted on 3/12/16 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Have thought about fitting one of those to the TVR.

Speed 6 is very intolerant of not being properly warmed up before opening the taps, but it can take 5 miles or so to warm up.

Do you have any more details ?

40inches

posted on 3/12/16 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
https://shop.strato.de/WebRoot/Store10/Shops/10116541/4E8D/AA6F/FEF8/BC25/ED35/C0A8/2935/B00A/assembly_UK.pdf
https://shop.strato.de/epages/10116541.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10116541/Products/0080P

britishtrident

posted on 3/12/16 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you do an search engine pre-heater or coolant pre-heater on ebay you should find a selection mostly from Germany and eastern Europe. I got the 2200 watt Hot Frog but it is a bit on the big side, the smaller black version is 1100 watt it has the inlet and outlet pipes better orientated for easy fitting.
It is also sold branded OWL-2 or SKU-2 or ATO-1.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

owelly

posted on 4/12/16 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have a diesel fuelled unit from a Saab fitted to my ambulance wired on a timer. It really needs a circulation pump but it drags the temp up from 5* to 20* in about 10 minutes and that gets the coolant circulating using rising heat. Then it soon gets up to 40* which is where the stat shuts it off. It's lovely to have a warm heater and defrosted windows on a winters morning.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 4/12/16 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I have the Kenlowe electric preheater set-up, for sale, in superb demonstrable health.
Used briefly when I had a momentary lapse of reason (it's an age thing) and ran a Vauxhall XE race car, requiring such care. I'm now back to small bike engines...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.