Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Considering a 328i converted E30...
computid

posted on 4/12/16 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Considering a 328i converted E30...

Okay so a friend of mine has a BMW E30 MTech 325i which he had professionally converted to an 328i auto from an E36. It's virtually rust free, apart from a little krust on a rear arch. It had some very minor front end damage from rolling into a wall at 10mph (I saw it) and it's had the bonnet replaced but it needs the bumper sorting.

It's got a stripped interior with some really nice 3~ month old carbon (I think Sparco) bucket seats, but it definitely needs tidying up (It's missing door cards etc.).

It comes with a super charger kit (although I'm not sure of the spec) which I'd probably fit. Apparently this requires a swap to an E46 ECU because they can be mapped, but I'd be semi-tempted to go with independent management. He was going to fit it but never got around to it and he's got too many cars to keep.

Aside from the above it's got coil overs and uprated brakes.

Anybody got any experience with 328 converted E30's? I've owned modern (2012~) BMW coupe's but I've never had a "classic" BMW. Anything to look out for? I'm obviously (from this post) seriously considering purchasing it from him as a bit of a toy. I'm tired of driving around in nice new shaped tin so I'm thinking I'll probably sell my current E92 and get this plus something boring like a Mondeo or an Insignia.

I'll probably be modifying it quite a bit (even more so then it already is). I'm thinking roll cage, carbon interior trim (Door cards, dash, trans tunnel, rear cards etc.) since it's got no trim at the moment apart from the dash, maybe the super charger or maybe I'll go with Jenvey ITB's.

Interested to hear if anybody in the locost builders collective has any experiences or views on the engine, car or mods (or indeed has any bits laying about )!

[Edited on 4/12/16 by computid]

Daf

posted on 4/12/16 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I had one and not a day goes by when I don't regret selling it! I even have a picture of it up on my lounge wall! The car was an utter animal! I put the m52 2.8 engine in it - I think I have some pictures of it that I can upload for you.

The one think I ask if you do but it - can I have a go!?

Daf

posted on 4/12/16 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
FYI - they go well for an old car...

nick205

posted on 5/12/16 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting car and conversion.

My Dad had an E30 320i Touring (nice car) and later an E36 328i Coupe (fast car), both automatics. I was young at the time, but he still speaks fondly of both cars and seems to have enjoyed them.

Any photos of the one you speak of?

Aside from this I've seen people put E30 dashboards into mk1 VW Golfs - very good fit apparently.

nick205

posted on 5/12/16 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
E30 dashboard installed in a mk1 VW Golf...

Hmmm - looking again maybe that's not a Golf. The pedals don't look right!

[Edited on 5/12/16 by nick205]

Nickp

posted on 5/12/16 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good except the Auto' bit, that'd spoil it for me

The M52B28 is a cracking engine, that's why I'm putting one in my Haynes
An M50 manifold, decent exhaust and remap should see the 2.8 up around 230bhp and it'll rev nicely to 7krpm.

The E30 is a cool old car and all good as long as it's rust free.
A mate has an E30 track car and is currently 'stroking' its 328i motor out to 3.0 using the M54 crank and rods.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.