Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 4/12/16 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Wiper Motor Park

I'm fitting a mini wiper motor and it works absolutely spot on with the sweep ect, however the park is stopping half way through the cycle. It's leaving the wipers across the windscreen. It's a Lucas wiper motor stop.

Anyone else had this ?
Is there a park controller which is for the he mini wiper motor that stops half way through the cycle instead of at the end of a standard classic mini ?

gremlin1234

posted on 4/12/16 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
the park is certainly adjustable
I think there are instructions in the workshop manual for setting it up
I shall take a look when I get a chance

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 4/12/16 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Does it always stop in the same place? If so the park position needs adjusting.

If it stops when you turn it off, there may be an additional live feed for parking missing.

rusty nuts

posted on 4/12/16 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
The park position is adjustable but I can't remember how. Had a look at Staffordshire vehicle components but that just refers to a Lucas information leaflet
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 4/12/16 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it stops in exactly the same place. It's as if the wipers are 180 degrees out of phase (if that makes sense)
David Jenkins

posted on 4/12/16 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that there's a plate inside the wiper motor's gearbox that operates the park switch - it can be rotated so that the wipers park to the left or the right.

If you take the cover plate off you'll probably see it.

Update: does this help? http://themgdoc.com/windshieldwiperpark.htm

[Edited on 4/12/16 by David Jenkins]

rusty nuts

posted on 4/12/16 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Remove the wiper arms , undo the rack securing nut and take off the wiper motor. Remove the 4 cover screws and the circlip/washers from the drive wheel, remove the drive wheel, the parking ramp will then be visible , it can then be moved to another position on the drive wheel
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 4/12/16 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yes - thanks to all, this looks absolutely perfect!
This is exactly my problem.
Will attempt to fix tomorrow

gremlin1234

posted on 4/12/16 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have now checked a workshop manual (actually herald/spitfire etc)
quote:
WINDSCREEN WIPER
A parking switch is incorporated in the domed cover of the gearbox. On switching off at the wiper control switch, the motor continues to run until the moving contact of the parking switch reaches the insulated sector portion and so interrupts the earth return circuit and stops the motor. The domed cover is adjustable to give the correct park position of the wiper blades
so just loosen the top and rotate it

edit:
thinking again that may just be for single speed motors, I should be able to find the ones for two speed if you need them

[Edited on 4/12/16 by gremlin1234]

gremlin1234

posted on 5/12/16 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
I thought about this a little more,
parking at the wrong end of the wipe is likely to be caused by turning the wiper spindle wheel boxes over. (or perhaps changing the motor from the right to left of the scuttle.)
note, if using a 30yr old lucas wiper mechanism, its also worth rotating the wiper spindles 180 degrees in their wheel boxes to utilise the unworn part of the gear.

02GF74

posted on 5/12/16 at 02:03 AM Reply With Quote
Am i missing something but dont the wiper arms fit to splined shafts, they do on my volvo and land rover.... so its just a case of pullimg arms of,f, repisitioning and fitting the nut or bolt in place. I imagine moving innards inside the wipet box is for adjusting the arc the wipers sweep?

SJ

posted on 5/12/16 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Am i missing something but dont the wiper arms fit to splined shafts, they do on my volvo and land rover.... so its just a case of pullimg arms of,f, repisitioning and fitting the nut or bolt in place. I imagine moving innards inside the wipet box is for adjusting the arc the wipers sweep?

That's what I was thinking.

I've certainly never adjusted the park on my mini wipers. Unless the OPs wipers aren't parking at the bottom of their stroke this is all that needs to be done.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 5/12/16 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, the wipers are not parking at the bottom of the stroke, they're parking at the top - this is the problem.
Andy S

posted on 5/12/16 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Also bear in mind that you can fit the wheel boxes on the shaft two ways - above and below the shaft - Not saying its the case here but there are quite a few assembly configurations and wheel box sweep angles.

Wheelboxes up one-way and the wipers park on the push and the other way up they park on the pull. May be completely wrong as I have a stinking cold and only half thinking about this.

As has been said I think this can also be corrected by the position of the contact segment.

rusty nuts

posted on 5/12/16 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Google adjusting Lucas wiper motor park position . If it is the later 2 speed type the switch is fitted to the main body of the wiper motor and the park "ramp" is on the underside of the driven gear , the cover is a one piece part and not adjustable. Adjust by moving the position of the park ramp on the gear.
Rotating the wiper arms on the wheel boxes is likely to end up damaging the scuttle or bonnet , it will have no effect on the parking position of the wipers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.