Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Goodwood Festival of Speed
SteveWallace

posted on 10/12/16 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Goodwood Festival of Speed

For years I've been meaning to go to the Goodwood Festival of Speed, but I always leave it too late. This time I'm going to book early for 2017 and stay at a nice hotel somewhere.

Before booking, I just thought that I would check on here to see if there was any advice on what to do and what not to do, where to stay, and how to get the most out of it. I assume that Saturday and Sunday are the best days to go.

John P

posted on 10/12/16 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've been a few times but never had to stay as we lived in Kent and could go down for the day.

Lots of fabulous cars and we particularly liked getting close to the start line. We took lunch because we had been warned that catering was expensive and could involve a lot of queuing but not sure how true this is.

For me the best was walking around the paddock areas as you can get up close to the cars and drivers. We were in the motorcycle paddock when John Surtees just walked up and started talking about his bikes.

We've also been to the Revival and I would always prefer to go to that because of the period atmosphere and the actual racing.

Rod Ends

posted on 10/12/16 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
The dates for the FoS have changed - it's now on Thursday, June 29th to Sunday, July 2nd.
steve m

posted on 10/12/16 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
How tall are you ?

as if I ever go again, I will take a step ladder, as when I went, I only heard the cars on the track,

Im only a midget at 5'3"

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mark chandler

posted on 10/12/16 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've been a few times, Saturday and Sunday = crowded.

Friday was far better to actually see stuff but then 15 years ago it was a lot more relaxed, it's worth paying for stands.

Dave Bailey

posted on 10/12/16 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it... go to the revival....

Just my opinion so don't shoot me!

Dave B

peter bland

posted on 10/12/16 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Like yourself,I've wanted to do it for years,so this year my son and i did friday and had about the best motorsport day ever.
Weather was good , crowds not to bad and so much to see.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 11/12/16 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Get there early gates open at 8am weekdays are less crowded it but it is busy best place to see a wide range of cars as for hotels book early paddocks worth a look early lots of good areas to watch the cars and wear comfy shoes and it can be cold and windy! Lots to see you could spend 2 days there
jps

posted on 11/12/16 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've been 4 times over the years. Sat and Sun are much busier so the last two times i've just gone on the Fri and have aimed to get there ASAP in the morning, i.e. by 7:30, as traffic can be horrendous later on. Even arriving at 7:15 this year i queued to get on-site but only for 15 minutes or so. Followed a D-Type in one year which was great!

It's good if you like seeing static cars close up and as they're trundling out via the paddock. Stood a few feet from a Matra F1 car as it was fired up one year, incredible! I don't think the actual hill climb action is that good, the only car (in 4 visits!) I was impressed to see moving was a Pikes Peak Toyota that used the grass and tarmac interchangeably and went flatout!!

I think the best thing about it all is the fact you see a lot of cars, in the flesh, that you might never have seen otherwise. Plus you see lots of 'behind the scenes' stuff, like the Ferrari F1 crew cleaning their van and having an espresso!!!

[Edited on 11/12/16 by jps]

Fred W B

posted on 11/12/16 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
older thread

another

[Edited on 11/12/16 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.