Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Halfords trade card - trade documents?
nick205

posted on 21/12/16 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Halfords trade card - trade documents?

Morning all,

One more question for the day...

I'm interested in a Halfords trade card. One of the requirements seems to be "trade documents".

What do they expect to see for these?

Thanks,
Nick

loggyboy

posted on 21/12/16 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Business card, headed paper, receipt book anything with a trading name on it. I dont have one but from what i've read the dont need much convincing.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 21/12/16 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
OK - all possible.

I don't have a trade card yet - we'll see how it goes

coozer

posted on 21/12/16 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, I just showed them my work business card with nothing more than mine and the company name on it, and told the lad I was also building a kit car at home.

You get. a healthy discount on the halfords branded stuff.. Just got a pair of wiper blades down from £16 to £4..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

nick205

posted on 21/12/16 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Yep, I just showed them my work business card with nothing more than mine and the company name on it.

Great minds!

I have the same in mind.

dwebber597

posted on 21/12/16 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
They didn't even bother checking mine. Filled the form in online went in with my electricians card but he didn't want to see it they were rather busy tho
Toprivetguns

posted on 21/12/16 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Get a friend to claim/pretend they have lost theirs and keep the new card when it arrives.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

dai1983

posted on 21/12/16 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
You can get one if you hold any relevant qualifications and I took my NVQ in despite not working for a business. You can also link the card to your online account and it shows your discount but I've a sneeky feeling it's cheaper to use your card in store. £80 torque wrench went to £35 and £8 bulb went to £1.50. Other items not so good
steve m

posted on 21/12/16 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Not to put a downer on Halfrauds, but is the trade discount really worth the savings ?

As if I want to buy, say, some oil filters etc for my Mondeo, I will go to my local motor factors, and get the lot for £25 ish
were as at Halfrauds, it will be £60 + (well, was last time, as had to do it on a sunday)

I will only use H as a last resort, or on a Sunday, and that is it

But maybe I am missing something here

We have a Morrisons 20% discount card, as my wife worked for them until she retired, yet she has never used it, as by shopping around, with the Tescos, Sainsbury's etc, she can get the shopping cheaper

unless the H card is 50-80% cheaper

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

sdh2903

posted on 21/12/16 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

steve

For certain halfords brand stuff it is 50-80% discount, bulbs especially. Most other car related stuff its around 10-15% discount.

Just bought a new set of Bosch aerotwin blades for the focus. With the halfords discount it was cheaper than i could get anywhere else inc fleabay, without the hassle of postage.

[Edited on 21/12/16 by sdh2903]

balidey

posted on 21/12/16 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

steve

It is. But you don't know what the discount level is until you are at the till.

My father has one. He was refused at first try, but went in again with more info and got approved.
I went to get some bulbs and a brake tool a few weeks ago. The tool was about 20% off, the bulbs, nearer 75% off.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

dai1983

posted on 21/12/16 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Not to put a downer on Halfrauds, but is the trade discount really worth the savings ?

As if I want to buy, say, some oil filters etc for my Mondeo, I will go to my local motor factors, and get the lot for £25 ish
were as at Halfrauds, it will be £60 + (well, was last time, as had to do it on a sunday)

I will only use H as a last resort, or on a Sunday, and that is it

But maybe I am missing something here

We have a Morrisons 20% discount card, as my wife worked for them until she retired, yet she has never used it, as by shopping around, with the Tescos, Sainsbury's etc, she can get the shopping cheaper

steve

Depends what you buy as I said above. Their decent premium manufacturer but Halfords branded torque wrench was £35 instead of £80 and a £8 bulb went to £1.50. Haynes manual however was £20 instead of £22. Occasionally they send emails of temporary trade deals

[Edited on 21/12/16 by dai1983]

trextr7monkey

posted on 21/12/16 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Good for bulbs and batteries on a Sunday.
You can see trade prices iif you log in on line

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

luke2152

posted on 22/12/16 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Discounts are pretty random and unpredictable. I found it to be good for consumables except fluids. Good for halfords tools that aren't already on sale. Anything else better off at a proper motor factors (or online).
owelly

posted on 22/12/16 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
Just to mention......
Using the trade card does get you a good discount on service items and now you can check online it saves any wasted time and travelling, but it also means you can see if the deals are cheaper with or without the trade card!!! A service kit for my Omega was £65 from carparts4less or £35 from Halfwords with two 5ltr oils. Very good.
The £200 socket set was £99 in the sale but was £145 with the trade card.......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 22/12/16 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks - shortfalls noted. Trust me I will check before parting with money.

I also have access to perfectly good local motor factors and will check prices there too.

craig1410

posted on 22/12/16 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I use it quite regularly and had no problem getting a card. I think I took my company registration certificate with me but they didn't really seem to care what proof I had.

Discounts are well worth having but as you should expect, they really only apply to "trade" related items, not the sort of stuff that the general public would typically buy. As someone else said, you can check trade prices online now and I find the minimum discount I get is about 20% with other items massively discounted (e.g. bulbs). Usually I can get stuff very slightly cheaper if I shop around online but by the time you add postage and wait a few days for delivery it's better off just going to Halfords. This is especially the case for my typical weekend jobs where I've not really planned ahead and bought stuff in advance of starting the job.

nick205

posted on 22/12/16 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
This is especially the case for my typical weekend jobs where I've not really planned ahead and bought stuff in advance of starting the job.

Indeed - Halfords is very often the place you have to go on a Sunday when other places are shut.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.