Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash Mounted Ignition
Ron Lang

posted on 27/12/16 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Dash Mounted Ignition

I hate the look of the steering column on most 7's. It's the main thing which reminds me I have donor parts and I think it makes the whole interior look dated.

How much of the column kit can be moved to the dash? Assuming indicators have to stay, can these be swapped for anything a little more streamlined? And can the ignition be moved too?

Slimy38

posted on 27/12/16 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
You don't actually need to keep anything on the column, even indicators can be dash mounted (although they can be less convenient to use). The iva does ask for security devices of which the steering lock is traditionally one of them, but if you can come up with something else then go for it.

As a possible alternative, old Saab's use a tunnel mounted ignition switch that locked the car in reverse.

mark chandler

posted on 27/12/16 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I removed all the extras off my Sierra column, had to machine a bush to act as a bearing where the ignition lock was bolted on.

It's much neater, just easy to leave indicators running that's all.

CosKev3

posted on 27/12/16 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Westfields use dash mounted switches and ignition on a lot of them.

But there dash sits pretty close to the steering wheel, majority of kits that use the sierra column look daft IMO without using the column switches as the distance from the steering wheel to the dash is then massive!

The wireless steering wheel buttons are worth a look

Mash

posted on 27/12/16 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I ground off the alloy lump whee the steering lock was

rubbish ground off
rubbish ground off

and then cut and painted a length of plastic pipe to fit over it and it fitted well into the Mountney sierra boss

plastic cover in place
plastic cover in place

Looks fine IMHO

Ignition switch on dash, cut off switch behind dash, and toggles for everything else

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Mine had already been through IVA with the steering lock, but you could live with it until then, and then modify afterwards

steve m

posted on 27/12/16 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I also cut off all the rubbish that was on the steering column, just leaving the bearing
the indicator switch is on the dash to the left, and ignition under the dash, and although this is an old pic, the green cowl over the steering column is a baked bean tin (Heinz) covered in leatherette, but could also be painted

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

snowy2

posted on 27/12/16 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
all of my switches are on my dash........
there is no reason not to move them if you wish to......

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

nick205

posted on 27/12/16 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Don't disagree with your intentions. However on my Sierra based MK Indy I couldn't reach the dash when strapped in. For me that would have made dash mounted swithches very hard work. I used the Sierra column with stalks and ignition as it came. Worked fine for me.

Mash

posted on 27/12/16 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Fair one Nick.

I should add the caveat to my earlier post that you should strap in and check you can reach the proposed switch positions before you do anything.

I did that, and I can reach them all easily.

turnipfarmer

posted on 27/12/16 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just take care not to fall foul of the IVA man, by using 'sharp' toggle switches that are outside the exclusion area.
Ron Lang

posted on 28/12/16 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think doing the mods post-IVA sounds sensible. It's mainly the indicators, lights, horn and hazard switch I don't like. I was hoping you could buy more slender replacements but haven't found any yet.

Not sure how I feel about dash mounted indicators...

turnipfarmer

posted on 28/12/16 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I use a dash-mounted push button horn. You could also do the same for the hazards.

The Ford Focus uses a rotary light switch.

As for the indicator stalk, GBS do a billet ally one, & a couple of folks on here also make them.

HTH

Adamirish

posted on 28/12/16 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have removed all of mine from the column. All of the the lights, horn etc have been changed to flush mounted, aluminium(aloominum if you're 'murican) savage switches. I also use a savage switch as a starter button with the ignition switch behind the gearstick on the dash.

My indicators are on a waterproof, metal toggle switch left of the steering wheel on the dash. I can reach it fine being strapped in. I don't think I have monkey arms!

I did also chop off about 4inches of the column and welded on a steering wheel quick release hub. It doesn't look at all out of place.

I did also get rid of the whole Sierra "sleeve" (the Ali bit) and created my own bearing carrier mounted under the dash using the original mounting on the chassis.

The beauty of a kit car is you can change things to whatever suits you.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

CosKev3

posted on 28/12/16 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lang
I think doing the mods post-IVA sounds sensible. It's mainly the indicators, lights, horn and hazard switch I don't like. I was hoping you could buy more slender replacements but haven't found any yet.

Not sure how I feel about dash mounted indicators...

I can understand your dislike of dash mounted indicators switch,I don't like them myself.

Take a look at the Freewheel products,very clever stuff

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=204045

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.