Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What to do with the bodywork
Ron Lang

posted on 27/1/17 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
What to do with the bodywork

So as I gradually un-build this car to find out what a mess the previous builder made of it, I'm coming to realise a lot of the bodywork may need replacing:

For some reason they painted over the original red GRP wings and nose and this is now cracking. I could try and wrap them or I have to bite the bullet and buy new ones.

The main scuttle panel (SS) is ok-ish (although they've hashed the mounting holes and used large washers to compensate) However, the firewall and dash plate are a complete mess, broken in sections, poorly cut and not a snug fit with the scuttle panel at all. Oh and it looks like the scuttle has been in a fight with a wire brush - it obviously wasn't protected at any stage.

The side panels aren't too bad but as I'm having to replace the bonnet catches and exhaust mount will be left with holes to fill.

The bonnet has a large but subtle bend across it as though it's been standing on end for a long time. The side folds are also poorly done and they've installed the pins in the bonnet rather than the chassis.

The rear panel over the shroud was so poorly installed I've already removed this but I have no idea how best to install a new one; I either have to use the old one as a template and try and reuse the same shroud holes, or somehow avoid the old holes and drill new. I should note they have fixed with rivets about every 50mm!!

I am at the point of thinking of removing all the panels and starting again but I'm concerned the chassis probably already looks like a collander as it is! How do you use/avoid all the old holes? People must re-body these things at some point?

Also, you build these things new, what are the options? Leave as stainless, wrap the panels, or paint in situ (over the rivet heads??).

[Edited on 27/1/17 by Ron Lang]

[Edited on 27/1/17 by Ron Lang]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.