Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Manifold fabrication
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/2/17 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Manifold fabrication

I have lost the plot trying to weld up my manifold.
I am seriously thinking of paying somebody to make one for me. Sadly there is nothing off the shelf which will fit (spitfire with an st170)
Ideally within string distance of Brighton, or if I can send my hopeless attempt they could copy it but do it properly.

Also,any guide as to how much I am going to have to find down the back of the sofa?? Remember I am in the south east....

Thanks in advance
A very frustrated and miserable Clive...

r1_pete

posted on 24/2/17 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Is what youve done salvagable?

Post a few pics of it someone may be able to correct it....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/2/17 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
It is currently in the garden. I leftit outside in disgust...

However, it is one of these
Ford Focus Mondeo 2.0l Top Mount Turbo Exhaust Manifold

I cut the pipes where they for the collector, and have attempted to extend them and reweld the collector. Obviously the four pipes are close together.I doid weld squares into the open gaps between the 4 pipes. But it is not going well at all...

I guess it could all be chopped up, my welds cut out and rewelded. May be just as easy to start again? No idea really.

mark chandler

posted on 24/2/17 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
You need to plan your welds for manifolds so you do not end up with a blind but you cannot access

Where the pipes land on the collector weld the pipes so you can get them from the inside as well, then weld the outside bit, so cut where you can easily weld it back together, it may be you need to seperate it more before reassembling as you want it.

mcramsay

posted on 24/2/17 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I welded up the exhaust system on my marlin. It was by far the hardest part of the build, trying to weld sections of bends from eBay cut to make the angles required was time consuming and frustrating. Exhaust pipe is difficult for a do it your self, especially when TIG welding. Subsequently even though the exhaust worked it ended up in the scrap bin and I got a pro to make one... the difference was night and day. There are times you have to pay some one to make something... for me exhausts or manifolds come into that category. Having good tools and skill goes a long way in making these components.
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/2/17 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly.

I am OK at welding exhaust pipes and so on, but the manifold is just too complex. And the manifold needs to be right.

So, any suggestions on people to do the job? I have a couple of friends I will call tomorrow, they may know somebody, but I was hoping somebody here may be able to point me in the right direction

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.