Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk Indy Rear Toe Shims
Matt21

posted on 26/2/17 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Mk Indy Rear Toe Shims

Last time I got my MK set up I was told that one of the rear wheels had more toe in than the other side.

I'm not looking to add some shims to get them balanced out.
I'll be making up a load of shims myself to add/remove to get it right, can anyone give me a rough idea on how thick big they would have to be?

I cant remember the figures, but lets say I have 2degrees toe in and want to get to 1degree.

Also, are the rear hub bolts 10mm or 12mm? (I'm away from home so cant check myself, I have a feeling theyre 12mm)

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

procomp

posted on 26/2/17 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. Remember its not just the toe setting you need set but also thrust alignment measured at front axle.
The 4 hub bolts are 10mm.

Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Banana

posted on 26/2/17 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
How do you adjust thrust angle with IRS?
Matt21

posted on 27/2/17 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Matt,

How would I go about adjusting and measuring the thrust angle?

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

mikeb

posted on 27/2/17 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
This might help.
We bought a set for our caterham a few seasons back to adjust the rear toe in and camber.

Shims[/url ] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/62740914@N04/]mjb22001, on Flickr

These are for DeDeon but from recollection the interface between the dedeon ear and the rear hubs is the same as our standard seirra rear hub to upright so they should work.

[Edited on 27/2/17 by mikeb]

loggyboy

posted on 27/2/17 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Surely being an 'Indy' it will have independent rear.
Are there not adjustments on the wishbones for geometry? or is it a more fine tuning needed than a half rotation on a tie rod will give?

[Edited on 27-2-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

SJ

posted on 27/2/17 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Surely being an 'Indy' it will have independent rear.
Are there not adjustments on the wishbones for geometry? or is it a more fine tuning needed than a half rotation on a tie rod will give?

With Standard wishbones there is no adjustment for rear toe.

Banana

posted on 27/2/17 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
You can shim the rear for toe.

I can't figure how you'd adjust thrust angle satisfactorily though, with IRS.

loggyboy

posted on 27/2/17 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Surely by doing this the thrust angle will be corrected, thats the whole point of correcting/balancing the rear toe? (assuming the adjustment is based on a 4 point geometry check)
The thrust alignment will come from re-aligning front tracking to suit.

[Edited on 27-2-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

procomp

posted on 27/2/17 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
The rear toe is non adjustable via wishbones as such hence the need for shims between the fabricated upright and the Sierra bolt on hub to align the rear toe.

My comments re Thrust is that most people only look at the toe as a single item IE its been adjusted and now has the correct toe of say 1mm toe in. However with cars of this type the toe needs to be pointing evenly down the center line. As little as 4mm of center at front axle line can cause problems on our loverly British roads.
So although the toe at moment may suggest that only one side needs shimming to get correct toe setting it may need a minor amount on one side and lot more on the other side to get the thrust to fall within an acceptable tolerance.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Banana

posted on 27/2/17 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt, for the amateur at home, would a center line created between wishbone/chassis mounting points be acceptable as a ref point?
procomp

posted on 27/2/17 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yes. We have to assume the left and right wishbones are within a small tolerance so working from chassis pickup points to create a center point to measure from rather than chassis tubes is idea. just make sure you can gain access with a steel rule etc to String / line / laser being projected forwards from rear wheels/ tyres.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.