Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone got DeWalt li ion tools?
ChrisW

posted on 27/2/17 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone got DeWalt li ion tools?

Thinking of taking the plunge and replacing my old 18v NiCd stuff with Li Ion (as my batteries are completely screwed)

Can anyone tell me: Are all the Li Ion batteries interchangeable? As in, if I buy a kit that comes with 2Ah batteries will they fit any other De Walt Li Ion tool? Eg ones that usually come packaged with larger (or smaller) capacity batteries?

*Note I think the "Flexvolt" batteries are different, but from what I can see those are just in the big tools

EDIT to add: particular question: are the 18v Li Ion batteries the same (and interchangeable) with the "20v Max" ones? I suspect it's just marketing hype and they are the same but I can't find out for sure

Thanks, Chris

[Edited on 27/2/2017 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
obfripper

posted on 27/2/17 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
They all interchange with different ah ratings but not across voltages, apart from the flexvolt packs which work with 54v or 18v tools.
Dewalt also do an 18v nicad - li-ion adapter if you have any of their older tools.
The chargers also are compatible with lower voltage packs, eg an 18v charger will also do 14.4 and 10.8v packs.

Dave

ETA the 20v max is us/asian branding for 18v, so identical tools and batteries, but no warranty from dewalt.

[Edited on 27/2/17 by obfripper]

ChrisW

posted on 27/2/17 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper

ETA the 20v max is us/asian branding for 18v, so identical tools and batteries, but no warranty from dewalt.

Thanks for this. I was getting confused because if you buy a pack from say Screwfix it says 18v on it yet if you Google the model number for the actual tools they come up as "20v Max" on the DeWalt website. I wasn't sure whether it was an updated product or just a different label with some marketing spin. The US/UK branding difference explains it.

Looks like I'll take the plunge on a drill and impact driver combo set from Screwfix, which will get me batteries and charger too.

Thanks again for clearing that up.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 27/2/17 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
In answer, yes they do. The only issue you might encounter is the size of some of their batteries for the tools you're using them in. I've got drill/driver, impact gun, SDS drill etc., and they're usually designed for the 2-3aH batteries; still a 4-5aH battery in and you can't stand the SDS up on its base as you normally would. But the other advantage that's already been mentioned is that the LiOn charger covers all voltage ranges so saves having to lug around multiples.

Have a look at ITS tools as well, as they've usually got some good deals on that match or better those in Screwfix.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

slingshot2000

posted on 27/2/17 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
Dewalt also do an 18v nicad - li-ion adapter if you have any of their older tools.
Dave

Do you have a DeWalt part number for this, as all I can find is a dubious version, sold by someone via amazon and made in Denmark. I have a full set of DeWalt tools I would like to keep using, but I am also running short of NiCads.
I cannot find a genuine DeWalt version, anywhere.
Cheers
Jon

obfripper

posted on 27/2/17 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Dewalt DCA1820 should be the one, they're not an official uk product but a usa one.
There's plenty of them on ebay though, but the genuine ones look to be £40-50, the chinese copies about £25.

Dave

matt5964

posted on 27/2/17 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Screwfix will have kit and models for them only to be better on price as a lot of the time you won't find a cactus match at other retailers.

We come across this at work most days when quoting against them.

Same as the supermarket TVs etc

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.