Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: volvo s60 brake issue
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/3/17 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
volvo s60 brake issue

Hi,

having some difficulty with the brakes sticking on for the mot. happened before but with a back brake now the front brakes are doing it just as it went for its mot...

recent hoses all round, calipers are nice and free and greased, brake fluid clean, no errors showing up with the module, pistons look fine.

what on earth else can cause this??

When i open the bleed screw there appears to be pressure there and the brakes slacken off, why the pressure be holding on, even overnight?

thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Schrodinger

posted on 12/3/17 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
How about the brake pedal not fully returning?

Keith
Aviemore

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/3/17 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
pressure on all 4 brakes? or just one or more?
Ifone, could be a faulty hose. ell could be more than one, but unlikely to be 4.
If 4 MC a strong contender.

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/3/17 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
brake pedal seems fine with a bit of slack at the top of the travel.

Cars done almost 100k so maybe the mc is faulty, original brake fluid was a bit dark and brakes when I bought the car were in a total state (why I got the car very cheap)

The two front brakes seem both very tight, rear left also dragging, a bit less on the rear right, again its pressure being held in the system, slacken the bleed screws and the calipers let go and turn freely.

hadn't considered the mc tbh, was suspecting more the ABS system but couldn't see how that was going to hold pressure.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DW100

posted on 12/3/17 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
If it is the master cylinder, loosening the pipes then doing then up again should release the pressure until the pedal is pressed again.
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/3/17 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
good idea, will do that on the mc, fortunately its very accessible. if it lets go I'll pull it apart and see whats going on

thanks

[Edited on 12/3/17 by Mr Whippy]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 12/3/17 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not relevant but I had a similar issue with my 07 s40. Brakes would randomly bind on the front right after about 70k. New brake hoses pads and discs. I dismantled and rebuild the caliper a couple of times only for it to happen again within a couple hundred miles.

I eventually changed the single front right caliper and the problem has not reoccured in 20k miles. The guy at the motor factor said that caliper part number was an extremely popular replacement part

Hope you get it sorted

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/3/17 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Oh well, took off the master cylinder, can't open it easily due to a circlip design with no lugs or holes but did blow through it and can't see any wrong at all. General condition appears very good. Going to just bleed the whole system again and see if it improves....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.