Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T Income Tax Question
r1_pete

posted on 27/3/17 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
O/T Income Tax Question

I took redundancy 8 months into the financial year.

I was a high rate tax payer on paye, and have calculated I am due a significant sum back from hmrc.

Question is, do I need to claim this or do hmrc sort the refund at their end of year true up??

Cheers.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 27/3/17 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Contact them to prompt them - but they will notice themselves .... eventually.
Also once you get your cheque contact them again and ask them to check. Ive had 3x 3 figure refunds historically, and 2 have been wrong on their first attempt. One by 70%!

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 27/3/17 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
My own experience with HMRC (and DVLA) is to contact them in writing and send by registered post. They "should" notice and sort the refund themselves, but they don't always get it right. If you document your correspondence with them you have a trail of what's been said by each party (yourself and them).

In comparison my TAX code was wrong last year. It took a written prompt from me before they corrected it and refunded me a TAX over payment.

r1_pete

posted on 27/3/17 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, I'll give them a ring for starters, and follow up with a print of the spreadsheet calcs I did, Im not desperate for the money, its just better in my account than the govts.

Cheers.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 27/3/17 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Be sure you keep a record of the phone call dates and discussions. You may want top refer back yo them in the future.

r1_pete

posted on 27/3/17 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes good shout, cheers.
steve m

posted on 27/3/17 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the post Pete

As I am in exactly the same position, having taken redundancy last May 2016 and only restarted any proper work this January

Already I believe I have overpaid about 3k in tax this tax year,

awaiting fat cheque

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

r1_pete

posted on 27/3/17 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I'm not relishing the thought of dealing with hmrc, just working my numbers through again, then will be in touch.

Good luck with your rebates....

nick205

posted on 28/3/17 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO HMRC can be hard work!

They'll ask you for money at the drop of a hat, but it seems to down to you to highlight to them that they owe you money.

As above I document all correspondence in writing to produce a trail of what's been said by each party.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.