Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering Column/Shaft Position
Ron Lang

posted on 2/4/17 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Steering Column/Shaft Position

Ive got a bit of an issue with the positioning of my steering column. It's hard to explain but I'll do my best.

If I clamp up the steering shaft in the universal joint in a position that seems acceptable (i.e. Not too fair into the joint), the steering column mount seems way too far in front of the chassis mount. It means I have to really compress the spring between the shaft and the column assembly to get it to sit against the mount. If I slide the column forward in the mounting clamp, the steering boss ends up fouling on the stalk assemblies so that's obviously not right.

Am I missing something? Has anyone had to shorten the column to get it all to fit? Should the spring be under a lot of compression? I'm aware you can get spacers that move the steering wheel closer to the driver but I thought these were optional. I was working on the basis that I should fit right without them too.

Any help appreciated as ever.

Ron Lang

posted on 5/4/17 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like this has failed to stimulate any interest lol.

Perhaps if someone could take some photos of their UJ? There are loads of photos online of the column but cant see any of the UJ connection to see how far in the shaft goes. If not, I'll try and factor in a GBS visit soon...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.