Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec 3.0 v6 + 4wd transferbox
TomDK

posted on 16/5/17 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec 3.0 v6 + 4wd transferbox

Hi

I've discovered this forum in my search for info on the Duratec 3.0 v6 and found that there's plenty of it here

I'm considering this engine for a new 4x4 offroader based on a Suzuki Jimny.

So far I've found out that the only gearboxes that bolts directly on are Jaguar S-type auto and manuals, correct?

But what about bolting a transferbox to either of these gearboxes, would they be suitable for it? I know it requires some sort of adapter.

Also, a buddy of mine mentions that the s-type manual gearbox is of a rather old design, with a poor shift. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Tom

[Edited on 16/5/17 by TomDK]

slingshot2000

posted on 16/5/17 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to Locostbuilders !
I cannot offer any help just now, but there are one or two Suzuki / Jago experts about. There are also some knowledgeable Jaguar / Duratec experts on here.

Adding your location may also be useful.

More importantly; you MUST remember, we love photographs of different projects !

Regards
Jon

40inches

posted on 16/5/17 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
The early X-Types are all 4 wheel drive, transverse engine though, if that's a deal breaker.
2.5 litre engines as well, but the only difference from the 3 litre is the bore.

bi22le

posted on 16/5/17 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mazda 6 MPS is 4WD and uses a large duratec.

I have no idea if the bellhousing is the same pattern though. Just a thought

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

CNHSS1

posted on 16/5/17 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Quaife and others mainly in the US do cast bellhouisng to suit rwd inline boxes. I'm sure I saw a quaife bell housing for sale recently from a ginetta g50 race car which use a US version of the duratec. It should be possible to mate to Sierra 4x4 type 9 or a Tremec or borg Warner T5 4x4 box ( early ssang yong musso or us pickups.

By far the easiest would be the jag 4x4 transverse box though, get a complete car inc engine and mot for a few hundred quid! The 2wd version of the box was used by Noble in their cars, first behind the 2.5 then latterly the 3L, both equipped with a pair of turbos

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

CNHSS1

posted on 16/5/17 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Found it
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/83352/ginetta-g50-bellhousing-duratec-v6-to-quaife

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

TomDK

posted on 17/5/17 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for all your replies. Much appreciated

I probably should have been more specific.

My plan includes a transferbox with hi/low range, so will need to use a transferbox from a 4x4.

But I've been thinking, the LT230 transferbox from newer Land Rovers is a very strong box. But not sure if it possible to make an adapter for it to fit the Getrag 221 box. Also, the LT230 is normally mated to a R380 gearbox. So was wondering if the R380 could be installed on the Duratec 3.0.

If so, any thoughts on who makes such adapters?

I live in Denmark btw

Also all this is still only in my head. Will have to solve this issue regarding what engine/transmission to use before I go any further

Cheers

Tom

TomDK

posted on 18/5/17 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
So, I've been doing some researching since yesterday.

Found out that the MT82 gearbox is installed both in newer Land Rovers to the 2.4 TDCI Puma engine and also in the 3.7 Ford Mustang. Both these engines matches the Duratec V6 bolt pattern.

Can anyone confirm this?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.