Used Cebora
Used Snap On

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mig Welder
LBMEFM

posted on 1/6/17 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mig Welder

The time has come to buy a Mig Welder. I have a limited budget. Please vote for the one you have found most reliable. It's for car bodywork and general garage work.
I would prefer new.

[Edited on 1/6/17 by LBMEFM]

nick205

posted on 1/6/17 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Clarke 151TE MIG with Argoshield. No complaints whatsoever, it's been easy to setup and use and welds very well indeed.

With regards to welding thin sheet metal it's worth watching some of the YouTube videos, which give some help. Without following the recommended method it's very easy to blow holes in the sheet and spend time over again making parts (or having to buy new panels).

loggyboy

posted on 1/6/17 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a well used Clarke 90en for £50 about 10-15 years ago, still going strong.

Mistral Motorsport

sebastiaan

posted on 1/6/17 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a (budget) Cebora for a few years and would not trade it for a lesser machine. Mostly done 1 and 2mm sheet metal work with it and find it very controllable. It's gone through about 7kg of 0,6mm wire now without any problems.
Edwardo

posted on 1/6/17 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
It's a shame you're so far away as I'll be selling a Clarke 90en very soon which has been great for the last 2 years general garage stuff.

I've just replaced it with a 151TE so would highly recommend the Clarke range.

40inches

posted on 1/6/17 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Bought a well used Clarke 90en for £50 about 10-15 years ago, still going strong.

Had one since 2001, recently fitted a Euro Torch with a 3metre lead. Just finished stainless welding an exhaust, and have welded 6mm plate with it

craigdiver

posted on 1/6/17 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Try and get a gas MIG, never had good results with gassless (and the wire is considerably more expensive).

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

nick205

posted on 1/6/17 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I have a Clarke 151TE MIG with Argoshield. No complaints whatsoever, it's been easy to setup and use and welds very well indeed.

With regards to welding thin sheet metal it's worth watching some of the YouTube videos, which give some help. Without following the recommended method it's very easy to blow holes in the sheet and spend time over again making parts (or having to buy new panels).

Quick note!

IIRC the Clarke 151TE is supposed to have a 16 amp supply. That said I've run mine on a 13 amp supply without issue. I suspect if you had it wound up and were going at heavy work it might complain though.

theconrodkid

posted on 1/6/17 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have a cebora 130 (they make the strap on migs),bought it for £10 about 40 years ago and it,s still going strong, clarke seems to have a good reputation in the budget stakes and try to avoid gasless.
one mod i did to mine was to put a dinze socket on the front,replace the earth lead with a decent length of jumper lead cable and also replace the cable from transformer to dinze socket,now it can weld battleships (well up to 10 mm) without breaking sweat

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Benzine

posted on 1/6/17 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a Clarke 151t for 10 years, it's okay, it does the job but it's not amazing. I wish I'd gone with a portamig or r-tech and spent a bit more.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 1/6/17 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
My Clark 151te was not great until I replaced the earth lead with a commercial lead and it moved forward a quantum leap, I also upgrade the diodes when these fried themselves and it got even better.
19sac65

posted on 1/6/17 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
+ 1 for cebora 130 turbo
Cracking little welder ,fan assisted so doesnt trip out 'cause of overheating

r1_pete

posted on 1/6/17 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Wish I hadnt sold my Cebora 140, it was a great little machine.

Have an SIP / Snap On 160 now, the only advantage is it goes down to 25 amp, really useful for thin stuff.

Id have another Cebora tomorrow if one came up.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bonzoronnie

posted on 1/6/17 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cebora 180 for me.

Designed for sheet metal work + the extra power for thicker material.

Gutted when my Cebora died ( used & abused for years )
PCB gave up the ghost & was unable to source a new one, sold it for spares.

Replaced it with a Lincoln powertec 180.
Nowhere near as versatile as the cebora.

To my delight, my old Cebora came back on the market, had a new PCB fitted.
Snapped it up & it is once more, my pride & joy.

The lincoln is dumped in the corner of my workshop.

Oddified

posted on 1/6/17 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have an Clark 130te which must be 20 - 25 years old now. Does everything i've ever required of it.

I did a bit of re-wiring/switch/stud on the machine and use it for jump starting cars/tractors

Ian

ianhurley20

posted on 2/6/17 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Mightymig machine which now works ok after replacing the liner with a wire one and getting a decent size gas bottle with regulator but I wouldn't buy another. The one I would buy if I replaced my 25 year old MIG would be http://www.weldingdirect.co.uk/cws-best-mig-160i-inverter-mig-welder-10672-p.asp . Noz-alls were at Stoneleigh this year and I was very tempted to buy one but until I have another chassis to make I'll stay put

[Edited on 2/6/17 by ianhurley20]

nobby_the_sheep

posted on 2/6/17 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Also have a look here:

mig-welding forum

Might be some useful info/opinions.

HTH.

miskit

posted on 2/6/17 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
I have a Mightymig machine which now works ok after replacing the liner with a wire one and getting a decent size gas bottle with regulator but I wouldn't buy another. The one I would buy if I replaced my 25 year old MIG would be http://www.weldingdirect.co.uk/cws-best-mig-160i-inverter-mig-welder-10672-p.asp . Noz-alls were at Stoneleigh this year and I was very tempted to buy one but until I have another chassis to make I'll stay put

[Edited on 2/6/17 by ianhurley20]

I bought one of these. Great machine. Yes you are going to pay more than a Clarke - but it comes with build in talent. You are also going top pay a bit more than a Chinese no-name on fleabay - but if this goes wrong it's fixed and back to you pronto.
I have an on-going review on the Mig welding forum - CWS Best Mig Review

[Edited on 2/6/17 by miskit]

LBMEFM

posted on 3/6/17 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for your replies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.