Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aligning headlight without space
ken555

posted on 23/6/17 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Aligning headlight without space

Any ideas on aligning headlights without the ability to roll back 25' on a level surface.

I would have about 6-9' inside the garage, otherwise I have a short sloping drive then a kerb down onto the road.

Needed for the MOT so unable to travel too far at night (Also 57° N so darkness is a little in short supply)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 23/6/17 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
just cant be done, best is to ask the mot place to set the headlights before the test
or wait six months, when you will have a surfeit of darkness

[Edited on 23/6/17 by gremlin1234]

Toys2

posted on 23/6/17 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken555
Any ideas on aligning headlights without the ability to roll back 25' on a level surface.

I would have about 6-9' inside the garage, otherwise I have a short sloping drive then a kerb down onto the road.

Needed for the MOT so unable to travel too far at night (Also 57° N so darkness is a little in short supply)

I did exactly that, maybe I was lucky, I rolled the car right up to the wall, lights on and on the wall, I marked the centre of the "V"s of the light beams with pieces of tape

Then rolled the car back about 6 foot and adjusted the lights so the "V"s were now slightly below and to the left of before

I was fully expecting for them to need adjusting at the MOT, actually I was expecting it to fail on lots of things, as it had been off the road for a 20 month rebuild
but the examiner said the headlights were bang on and it passed the MOT without issue
I was shocked as my dashboard was still out of the car 10 minutes before the time of the test and I live 30 minutes away!

[Edited on 23/6/17 by Toys2]

Shiggins92

posted on 23/6/17 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
should be ok for a short drive at night to somewhere dark to get it somewhere near. Aafter the MOT you can maybe go a little further to get a better angle.
james h

posted on 23/6/17 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure the MOT garage will help you with this, both I've taken my MK to have.
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/6/17 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toys2
quote:
Originally posted by ken555

I did exactly that, maybe I was lucky, I rolled the car right up to the wall, lights on and on the wall, I marked the centre of the "V"s of the light beams with pieces of tape

Then rolled the car back about 6 foot and adjusted the lights so the "V"s were now slightly below and to the left of before

This sounds a good solution. I have done something similar using a broom handle which I moved, and the horozontal bit I did by eye. Again, passed MoT.

nero1701

posted on 24/6/17 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
I had my MK indy MOT'd a couple of years back, the headlights were way out, MOT guy (take all my cars to him) sorted out the beam for me, wouldnt take an extra penny for doing it.
DW100

posted on 24/6/17 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
The Mot requirement is for the headlamps to be 0.5 to 2.75% down.

So as a rough setting if you park your car 1m from a wall the cut off line should be 0.5 to 2.75 cm below the height of the centre of the lamp.

ken555

posted on 24/6/17 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DW100
The Mot requirement is for the headlamps to be 0.5 to 2.75% down.

So as a rough setting if you park your car 1m from a wall the cut off line should be 0.5 to 2.75 cm below the height of the centre of the lamp.

Perfect, thanks.

Off to mark the garage door.

So aim for 16mm / 0.6" ish, would be best.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 24/6/17 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nero1701
I had my MK indy MOT'd a couple of years back, the headlights were way out, MOT guy (take all my cars to him) sorted out the beam for me, wouldnt take an extra penny for doing it.

mot manual section 1.8
quote:

Repairs must not be carried out during an MOT test; however, minor adjustments to the headlamp aim are acceptable.

coyoteboy

posted on 24/6/17 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I'm finding this an odd question because my mot place adjusts it without being asked for free.

ken555

posted on 25/6/17 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I guess unlike "modern" cars, it involves unscrewing the outer ring from inside the front clam, then prising off the outer rings to get at the adjusting screws.

So a bit more work than a simple bolt under the bonnet.

I'm adjusting it and leaving the rings off for the restest.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.