Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using VFD's with single phase motors
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/7/17 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Using VFD's with single phase motors

Does anyone have any experience using VFD's as speed control on single phase motors.

I have a 1.1kw single phase motor which I need to be able to alter the speed of.

Thanks in advance

Liam Mc

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Toys2

posted on 9/7/17 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Does anyone have any experience using VFD's as speed control on single phase motors.

I have a 1.1kw single phase motor which I need to be able to alter the speed of.

Thanks in advance

Liam Mc

Unfortunately, You can't use a VSD with single phase motor, the option there is to swap the motor for a 3 phase 220V and then use an invertor with that

MikeRJ

posted on 9/7/17 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toys2
Unfortunately, You can't use a VSD with single phase motor, the option there is to swap the motor for a 3 phase 220V and then use an invertor with that

Single phase VFDs are definitely available, though single phase motors have significant disadvantages over three phase so there would need to be a compelling reason not to fit a 3 phase motor and VFD.

SteveWalker

posted on 9/7/17 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sell the single phase motor and buy a three phase one? At that power you could run the VFD from a single phase supply still.

Alternatively, but physically more complicated, a variable speed pulley system - Variable speed pulley system

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/7/17 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone want to buy a brand new 1.1kw single phase motor

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Toys2

posted on 10/7/17 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Single phase VFDs are definitely available, though single phase motors have significant disadvantages over three phase so there would need to be a compelling reason not to fit a 3 phase motor and VFD.

Yes there are single phase VSD's but they drive 3 phase motors. As far as I know, it's not possible to control a single phase motor due to the requirement of phase angle generated by the capacitor start

coyoteboy

posted on 11/7/17 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Single phase induction motor requires a cap to start to give a temporary phase difference between the two fields.
It will run at the speed given by the feed frequency.
You could attempt to run a single phase motor from a 3 phase VFD (just using one phase output) but it's a total kludge and might trip out the (unevenly loaded) VFD.

MikeRJ

posted on 19/7/17 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Yes there are single phase VSD's but they drive 3 phase motors. As far as I know, it's not possible to control a single phase motor due to the requirement of phase angle generated by the capacitor start

As I said it' most definitely is possible, and they are available. I suspect a capacitor start motor would not be suitable, or at least would limit the available speed adjustment at startup, but a shaded pole or split capacitor motor would be ok.

http://www.invertekdrives.com/variable-speed-drives/optidrive-e2-single-phase/
https://www.wolfautomation.com/blog/vfds-for-single-phase-motors/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.