Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is too much ever enough?
Nickp

posted on 26/7/17 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
Is too much ever enough?

My BMW 328i engined (M52B28) Haynes goes like stink and is running perfectly at present.

However, I am aware it's a high miler that I used and I do enjoy an engine build.......

So, I'm looking to build a 3.0 'stroker' using the Z4/330i (M54B30) rotating assembly in the alloy blocked M52 engine.

Should see 260bhp with mild cams or nearer 300bhp with wilder cams and ITBs.

Watch this space.......

[Edited on 26/7/17 by Nickp]

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/7/17 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
crash
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 26/7/17 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
crash

I'm sure it's possible to crash with much less power than this

nick205

posted on 26/7/17 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
A crash is always possible!

Nothing wrong with a thirst for more power though

Nickp

posted on 26/7/17 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Nothing wrong with a thirst for more power though

Well, seems rude not to whilst I build a 'fresh' motor

craigdiver

posted on 26/7/17 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
My BMW 328i engined (M52B28) Haynes goes like stink and is running perfectly at present.

However, I am aware it's a high miler that I used and I do enjoy an engine build.......

So, I'm looking to build a 3.0 'stroker' using the Z4/330i (M54B30) rotating assembly in the alloy blocked M52 engine.

Watch this space.......

My engine, although still good as had the opportunity to drive the donor, has high mileage too. I am planning getting it through the SVA/MOT, using it for a few months then source an M3 lump - think 320bhp and according to another forum member easy to drop in.

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Nickp

posted on 26/7/17 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp

Watch this space.......

My engine, although still good as had the opportunity to drive the donor, has high mileage too. I am planning getting it through the SVA/MOT, using it for a few months then source an M3 lump - think 320bhp and according to another forum member easy to drop in.

Fair one, will be awesome, S54B32 from an E46?

3 reasons I'm not going that way-

1. Cost
2. Weight
3. I wouldn't be building it myself

ettore bugatti

posted on 26/7/17 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you are running a standalone ECU, I would give some thoughts on turbo/supercharging.

The alloy block M52 aren't robust as the iron M50 block, but still it shouldn't be impossible to run 300-350hp on the stock 328i internals, with like 8-12psi.

Might be cheaper than rebuilding to M52B30 spec?

Nickp

posted on 27/7/17 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
If you are running a standalone ECU, I would give some thoughts on turbo/supercharging.

The alloy block M52 aren't robust as the iron M50 block, but still it shouldn't be impossible to run 300-350hp on the stock 328i internals, with like 8-12psi.

Might be cheaper than rebuilding to M52B30 spec?

I had considered 'boost', but if I get a cheap donor M54 then it's barely anymore expensive than rebuilding a stock M52.
Anyway, who's to say that it won't end up as a twin turbo 3.0 at some point in the future?

rodgling

posted on 27/7/17 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It is easy, but have you seen how much these engines go for now...?

craigdiver

posted on 27/7/17 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
quote:

No idea?

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

rodgling

posted on 27/7/17 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
quote:

No idea?

Around £3-4k unfortunately. They shot up a few years ago.

craigdiver

posted on 28/7/17 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
£3-4k :-0 better get saving!

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

mcramsay

posted on 28/7/17 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have used an s50b32 m3 lump in my marlin sportster build. Not the easiest of choices, as the ecu needs a bit of thinking to get working, along with a matched set of keys, ecu and immobiliser from the same donor. I think any engine used on the E46's onwards use fly by wire throttle which is another thing to consider... also any BMW engine with VANOS will need a lot of work to get a standalone ecu to control this properly. I believe the DTA s100 ecu will control double vanos but would require a lot of time on a rolling road.

and also the M3 lump may be cheaper than building another BMW engine. I paid 3000 for mine with a 5 speee box. The engine has 80,000 miles on the clock but if you go for a higher mileage you can pick them up for sub 2k

spiderman

posted on 28/7/17 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I had considered 'boost', but if I get a cheap donor M54 then it's barely anymore expensive than rebuilding a stock M52.
Anyway, who's to say that it won't end up as a twin turbo 3.0 at some point in the future?

My kind of thinking, all ways keep as many options open as possible. If the twin turbos aren't enough there is also Nos to consider. Probably need a better driver than me though to tame it

Spider

rodgling

posted on 28/7/17 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcramsay
I have used an s50b32 m3 lump in my marlin sportster build. Not the easiest of choices, as the ecu needs a bit of thinking to get working, along with a matched set of keys, ecu and immobiliser from the same donor. I think any engine used on the E46's onwards use fly by wire throttle which is another thing to consider... also any BMW engine with VANOS will need a lot of work to get a standalone ecu to control this properly. I believe the DTA s100 ecu will control double vanos but would require a lot of time on a rolling road.

and also the M3 lump may be cheaper than building another BMW engine. I paid 3000 for mine with a 5 speee box. The engine has 80,000 miles on the clock but if you go for a higher mileage you can pick them up for sub 2k

Getting the ECU working is straightforward. The simplest route is to just get the immobiliser disabled, that saves wiring in the immobiliser. Then bridge the ABS input and diff speed signals so that it doesn't think the car is stationary and job done. E46 is probably quite a bit harder as I think the ECU expects a load of other CANBUS modules to be present, this probably explains why everyone uses the E36 instead...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.