Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Age Related Registration Question
DaveGreaseMonkey

posted on 5/8/17 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Age Related Registration Question

I've used Gearbox, Steering (Column), Hubs and CVs (actual driveshafts were fabricated though) amongst other things from my donor which I have a V5 for but the engine came from another car as the donor's was very high mileage.

Has anyone had this or similar on Built Up Vehicle Report:

Transmission: Gearbox and CVs from Donor
Steering Assembly: Column from Donor
Engine: Different car (have receipts etc)
Suspension: Hubs from Donor Car

I guess hubs for suspension is pushing it a bit but how about gearbox and steering - two major components?

Slimy38

posted on 5/8/17 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I realise it's probably 'against the rules', but how would they know if was a different engine? How do they know that the previous owner hadn't done an engine swap before you got it? I believe the engine number is on the V5, but I also believe that they don't take that as an indication that is the donor engine, because they don't take the V5 as proof of engine age.

And on that subject, the only thing you'll need to be wary of is the engine age for emissions.

DaveGreaseMonkey

posted on 5/8/17 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, hadn't thought about that. I guess there are lots of engine swaps where the owner doesn't update the V5.

I have a letter from Ford for engine age so that's not an issue.

I wonder if any others have got away with this?

What happens if they aren't happy with your story - do they just issue a Q plate?

[Edited on 5/8/17 by DaveGreaseMonkey]

tims31

posted on 5/8/17 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveGreaseMonkey
I've used Gearbox, Steering (Column), Hubs and CVs (actual driveshafts were fabricated though) amongst other things from my donor which I have a V5 for but the engine came from another car as the donor's was very high mileage.

Has anyone had this or similar on Built Up Vehicle Report:

Transmission: Gearbox and CVs from Donor
Steering Assembly: Column from Donor
Engine: Different car (have receipts etc)
Suspension: Hubs from Donor Car

I guess hubs for suspension is pushing it a bit but how about gearbox and steering - two major components?

Yep, Just done mine using the same method.

Sierra donor Gearbox, diff, drive shafts, front and rear brakes, front uprights (modified) and steering column

Mondeo engine with only a receipt and a letter from Ford detailing which vehicle it had come for age to detail which emissions it needed to meet.

only problem I had was my original receipt for my chassis didn't specify the Chassis number

Forgot to mention I had the donor V5 and VIN plates from mine and sent these in too

[Edited on 5/8/17 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

DaveGreaseMonkey

posted on 5/8/17 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
You had lots more parts though, I'm wondering if transmission and steering will be considered 'major' parts.

Do you have to have VIN plates or is that just belt and braces?

tims31

posted on 5/8/17 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You had lots more parts though, I'm wondering if transmission and steering will be considered 'major' parts.

Do you have to have VIN plates or is that just belt and braces?

Gearbox and steering should be enough for two major components, even if you haven't used the rack they won't know just claim the steering as a whole unit.

The VIN plates was belt and braces as proof but you don't need them. If you have used the hubs then you can claim those as axles on the build up form.

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

gremlin1234

posted on 5/8/17 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

if you look at the requirements for keeping the original reg, they list the other major parts as follows.

code:
You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.
For cars or light vans:
suspension (front and back)
steering assembly
axles (both)
transmission
engine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.