Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oscilloscope (or spectrum analyzer) on a budget
Slimy38

posted on 10/8/17 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Oscilloscope (or spectrum analyzer) on a budget

Hi, I need to check some audio frequency signals (20hz-20Khz), but as always on this forum I'd like to do it on a budget. I can see spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope software on Google Play so I can use a phone or tablet to display. But getting the signals into the device is the issue.

This will be a wired connection (so no microphones needed), but I'd prefer it to come via USB as data rather than through the microphone connection as analogue. Is there any budget stuff out there that can do the sampling bit for me?

Or if anyone has any ideas how I can accomplish this task that would be great. I mentioned either using an oscilloscope or spectrum analyzer because I could use either. The input signal will be controlled, I need to measure signal amplitude at single frequencies to see how consistent it is through the range.

coyoteboy

posted on 10/8/17 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
This?

britishtrident

posted on 10/8/17 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I did something quite close to this recently, in another forum a group of us were experimenting with using oscilloscope or PC soundcard or android devices to diagnose faulty fuel injectors --- this actually is quite a useful technique

With an Android I did a bit of searching around but other than connecting a microphone straight to phones audio socket there weren't any low cost options I could find although there are some very good android apps including one available from Playstore particularly a sound & vibration app released by Bosch.
On a Windows PC there are more hardware options I would suggest using a external USB sound card rather than an onboard sound card you could also use a USB isolater it you want to protect the PC . You can record the sound signal then FFT analyse it in Audacity or similar program.

As for USB Oscilloscopes there are quite a few chinese scopes on the market, the bigest draw back with them is usually the software, Hantek software can be a pain in the neck to use. I speak from experience I have the 8 channel (!!!!!) Hantek 1008 sitting in a drawer Although not the best in the world Hantek stuff usually works and is very cheap. Owon make very decent cheap USB DSO's but the software is even worse than Hanteks. I have an Owon DSO7102v -- which I use a lot but because the software isn't great I rarely it connected to a PC.

You might also want to look at the cheaper Velleman scopes

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 10/8/17 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
This thread on the Scannerdanner forum details what we were doing --- the USB external soundcard and Audacity worked really well for doing the FFT.

Link to thread on Paul "ScannerDanner" forum

[Edited on 10/8/17 by britishtrident]

[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 10/8/17 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
It's the range of oscilloscope and analysis apps in the store that got me thinking what could be done, it was just the hardware element. If I did go for using the microphone input on some sort of isolated wired signal (rather than an actual microphone), will the phone itself attenuate the signal? I did assume that because it's a voice mike that the input would be biased towards the voice frequencies, and it's actually the lower end that I'm particularly interested in (20hz +).

But its interesting that a knock sensor and a sound card audio in could produce that sort of result, perhaps I don't need to shy away from them that much.

coyoteboy

posted on 10/8/17 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with all audio input devices not designed for general use is that they can and do have a frequency response that may or may not harm your signal. They all block DC (and potentially just above) if you don't mod them, so that's a negative to start. They all will have zero effort put into dealing with signals over about 12Khz because humans just don't care about it. The roll-off at either end is unknown and undocumented. If you're comparing between two items relatively, you're probably OK. If you're looking for absolute results, use proper hardware and calibrate it.

britishtrident

posted on 10/8/17 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
As above ----- 20hz is really classed as a vibration rather than sound, normal microphones don't really work that low down the frequency range and most sound apps and programs aren't much use at the low end.
A lot depends what you are try to capture I would be looking at cheap piezo vibration sensors and stick on piezo contact microphones (piezo buzzers).

These can produce fairly high peak voltages but the voltage spikes can be clamped to 5v with a load resistor and/or zenner.

Oscilloscopes have various input voltage limits --- always check the specification the input voltage range can be extended by using an attenuator to reduce the voltage at the oscilloscope.
Attentuators come in factor x10, x20, x100 and x1000 options.

Piezo vibration sensor link

[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 10/8/17 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Basically I'm trying to find out whether the stereo in the car is frequency filtered or whether it's just sh** speakers. So while I appreciate 20hz might be the limit of unfiltered audio, I do need to see what would be below the range of speech. My plan is to have one phone as a tone generator, connected to line in, then a second phone hooked up to each speaker feed in turn, seeing what comes out across the audio range.

Then I can figure out what replacement speakers would be best.

britishtrident

posted on 10/8/17 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see a phone working very well as tone generator below normal audio range.

[/I]

craigdiver

posted on 10/8/17 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got one of these https://m.banggood.com/DSO138-DIY-Digital-Oscilloscope-Kit-SMD-Soldered-13803K-Version-With-Transparent-Acrylic-Housing-p-1051616.html?rmmds=search />

It is supplied as a kit for less than £15, needs components soldered on but if you can solder it is a great diagnostic piece of kit. I'm sure there is an option to buy it ready assembled for a bit more. I use banggood regularly and have never been let down, however, expect 2-3 weeks delivery.

[Edited on 10/8/17 by craigdiver]

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Slimy38

posted on 10/8/17 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
Ive got one of these https://m.banggood.com/DSO138-DIY-Digital-Oscilloscope-Kit-SMD-Soldered-13803K-Version-With-Transparent-Acrylic-Housing-p-1051616.html?rmmds=search />

It is supplied as a kit for less than £15, needs components soldered on but if you can solder it is a great diagnostic piece of kit. I'm sure there is an option to buy it ready assembled for a bit more. I use banggood regularly and have never been let down, however, expect 2-3 weeks delivery.

[Edited on 10/8/17 by craigdiver]

Sold! I'm ok with soldering even with surface mount stuff, £13 for the cheapest variant. No idea whether it'll actually do the job, but it's a gadget!

David Jenkins

posted on 15/8/17 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
Ive got one of these <snip>

I also have one of these - I bought the kit with the acrylic case. The soldering is quite easy, as long as you take a methodical approach. It works far better than I expected, although I have no idea if it would do what you require. There are some videos on YouTube to help you out, if necessary (search for DSO138).

I don't think that the ready-made option is available any more.

[Edited on 15/8/17 by David Jenkins]

coyoteboy

posted on 15/8/17 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
For those considering the hantek USB option, there's a linux opensource package for it too which is, from all accounts, more usable than the OEM version.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.