Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: T45 MSA compliant ROPS for Stylus
se7ensport

posted on 12/8/17 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
T45 MSA compliant ROPS for Stylus

Looking for a recommendation of a decent company that can properly make a T45 half/full cage within 60miles of Bristol.

Thanks
Alex

jeffw

posted on 12/8/17 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Matt Downes at SSC?

640 BHP per ton.....

Shooter63

posted on 12/8/17 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Matt Downes at SSC?

I think you will find that Matt won't make them , this has been debated on the stylus forum, your best bet is to get the main hoop bent up by tube bender on flea bay then cut and make the diagonal and rear stays yourself, as no doubt you will be aware the sod job is the rear stays which in my view are best put through the boot lid and welded to the rear cross member via brackets, this will get you more than the required 30 degrees.
This is what I plan to do, obviously this will make to boot lid leak like a sieve, if you want a full cage then I believe the front legs cause problems in which case a pro company is probably your best bet.

Shooter

jeffw

posted on 13/8/17 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
Be aware the MSA has changed the requirement, when I had mine done by Fury Sportscars the MSA insisted on rear stays and this is why we had to build out a rear frame and cut the tub. However they have changed the regs to say that, if rear stays are not possible, you can have front stays. Still needs to be 45x2.5 CDS with the correct angles but can go forward not back.

640 BHP per ton.....

TimC

posted on 13/8/17 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've heard good things about:
Cyclone Racing Ltd
BA3 4XE
01761 418562

procomp

posted on 13/8/17 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

It would cost a fortune to get a ROPS cage done due to the FIA testing fees unless going to be selling 100's to spread cost it wouldn't be worth while.

Also if using T45 the cost of heat treating is PROPERLY is ridiculous. Stick too CDS or best you can use MSA-500 tubing.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 14/8/17 at 04:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

It would cost a fortune to get a ROPS cage done due to the FIA testing fees unless going to be selling 100's to spread cost it wouldn't be worth while.

Also if using T45 the cost of heat treating is PROPERLY is ridiculous. Stick too CDS or best you can use MSA-500 tubing.

Cheers Matt

Hi Matt.

I know you know your onions, but all the T45 suppliers that I've asked said that thin-walled T45 doesn't need to be heat treated post weld.

It's Evolution Baby!

adithorp

posted on 14/8/17 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Why would it need to be FIA tested/approved to be MSA compliant? Surely all the hundreds of cars doing club level motorsport aren't fitted with FIA tested ROP.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jeffw

posted on 14/8/17 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
MSA Blue book compliant Roll-hoop in 45mm x 2.5mm CDS is the answer. Not sure where FIA approval came in.

640 BHP per ton.....

procomp

posted on 14/8/17 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

The reason i mentioned FIA testing is because the very first word on the OP's post is T45 !

Hence i said if you read, that unless wanting to spread the cost over many cages stick with CDS or MSA-500 which obviously wont need FIA testing if built to blue book regs.

RE heat treating. Look what happens to all the cages and chassis made from T45 with no heat treating. Cracking and breaking is very common. Hence MSA-500 tubing was developed and approved. Bit stronger than CDS but most importantly traceable supply at a known standard and does not require heat treating, just very expensive.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 14/8/17 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Probably would have been easier to tell him t45 is no longer a bluebook acceptable material.

se7ensport

posted on 14/8/17 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to have a chat with Matt at SSC as I'd prefer to put the work his way, however, our timescales may not align as he's working on other stuff at the moment. I'll also try the other guys mentioned.

Re: T45, didn't intend to create confusion (partly a misunderstanding on my part), I had thought it was the lightest material that complied with the bluebook spec; basically I have worked my way through my car taking out weight at every opportunity and don't want to add more back in the necessary.

Sounds like MSA-500 will do the job.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.