Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Not sure how to title this...
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/17 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how to title this...

Many of you will be aware of my little spat with a mistaken road rage driver where I stupidly booted the wrong car...only to find he was a high up manager for a client where I work.

Well I apologised on the spot and agreed to pay to get his nearly new car fixed and quite right too. Now due to my cars distinctive paint scheme he realised where I worked and instead of exchanging details simply said he would tell my boss and drove off.

However this was not on work time but despite this he preceded to slate me off to all the managers in my company which tbh I feel was quite vindictive and only intended harm my position at work, fortunately it's unlikely I will loose my job over this but it certainly has harmed my standing in the company. Had I lost my job this would have been seriously bad for my family.

Now I'm sure there will be plenty of you who will be ha ha you got what you deserve stupid don't be such a nutter next time...

But to put this in context I kicked a car bumper with my shoe... And the guy takes advantage of his position and tries to get me sacked... vindictive it certainly seems that way.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/17 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd get that off my chest..

Already had to sell the family tourer caravan to have money to pay for it...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pekwah1

posted on 15/8/17 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
It might have just been a kick on a bumper, but the fact you stopped your car and got out with what could only have been taken as potentially violent action was probably enough, not the damage itself.

To be fair, if someone had done that to me and I was an innocent party, I'd probably have also complained to the employer if I happened to be going to the same place.

It's unfortunate for you, but every action has a consequence, hopefully a lesson learned

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/17 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Point taken...

I wouldn't have done what he did had the tables been turned though

rotax78

posted on 15/8/17 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the idea of "camo" was to blend in!!! Not get noticed. Sorry but I agree with the above, every action has a consequence.
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/17 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I don't disagree, I damaged his car I pay to get it fixed simple as that, bumped a few cars in my time always made sure they were sorted when it was my fault.

What's annoying to me it that he took it way further than getting his car sorted and went out his way to harm me through my work just because he could. He knew right from the start it wasn't directed at him and I'd mistaken the car. Why take it so much further? Like I said seems vindictive.

Oh and the camo works very well in the right environment, lights on in the wooded countryside...

[Edited on 15/8/17 by Mr Whippy]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 15/8/17 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Many of you will be aware of my little spat with a mistaken road rage driver where I stupidly booted the wrong car...only to find he was a high up manager for a client where I work.

Well I apologised on the spot and agreed to pay to get his nearly new car fixed and quite right too. Now due to my cars distinctive paint scheme he realised where I worked and instead of exchanging details simply said he would tell my boss and drove off.

However this was not on work time but despite this he preceded to slate me off to all the managers in my company which tbh I feel was quite vindictive and only intended harm my position at work, fortunately it's unlikely I will loose my job over this but it certainly has harmed my standing in the company. Had I lost my job this would have been seriously bad for my family.

Now I'm sure there will be plenty of you who will be ha ha you got what you deserve stupid don't be such a nutter next time...

But to put this in context I kicked a car bumper with my shoe... And the guy takes advantage of his position and tries to get me sacked... vindictive it certainly seems that way.

Lesson learned...
Forgive and forget about HIM...
Life will take over at some point and karma will teach him a lesson...
Some people believe resentment may cause diseases like cancer (I am not so sure, but try not to keep any... Easier said than done I know)
Best of luck

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

owelly

posted on 15/8/17 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
For me, it's not about the damage to his car. It's not about the mistaken identity. It's about the fact that you lost your rag and resorted to violence. As a manager, if someone reported one of my employees to me for doing such a thing, in work time or not, to a client, co-worker, manager, member of the public, etc. they would be getting a bollocking. That person would lose a lot of credibility and an 'enhancement' in within the company would be in jeopardy. If someone is willing to react to something like that out in public, I wouldn't want them working for me.
You should be thankful the bloke didn't call the police as things would be a lot worse.
I hope it makes you (and others too!) think before you start a fight!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/17 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I hear you...

Funnily enough most folk at work were more suprised than anything as I'm one of the most layed back and calm people there is...I doubt many have even seen me mildly annoyed at anything

But given the right circumstances anyone can be pushed to do anything, I think two world wars have shown that, doesn't matter how saintly you think you are.

As Angel says though forgive and forget...it'll be an amusing story for the grandkids one day

owelly

posted on 16/8/17 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Another thing worth thinking about....it was probably mentioned in your initial post: What if the bloke in the other car had jumped out with his mates and given you a proper kicking? They obviously feared for their lives which is why they retaliated so a judge would struggle to blame them.
If I was the bloke, and I had my kids in the car, there's every chance I would have lost my cool too so I can see where you're coming from (nobody's perfect). I guess we'll all learn.

CosKev3

posted on 16/8/17 at 02:41 AM Reply With Quote
I think you should be counting yourself lucky he hasn't gone to the Police tbh?
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 16/8/17 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
I've got to say I agree with last post he could have got the police involved and you could have ended up with a criminal record road rage / violence and criminal damage doesn't go down very well with the police and courts these days .
shindha

posted on 16/8/17 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
Anger Managment

[Edited on 16/8/17 by shindha]

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/8/17 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
tbh I'm in awe of all these people who apparently never get angry or lash out, the world would surely be a much better place if we had a lot more of you
pekwah1

posted on 16/8/17 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Nice sarcasm, I think it's obvious that most of us will lose our cool at some point, but personally if/when that happens I will also generally take responsibility for my own actions and not try to make excuses for it.... again hopefully a lesson learned, realise you did something wrong and face up to it
SJ

posted on 16/8/17 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
It's hard to say whether or not the bloke is being vindictive but if I was in your position I would be thinking I got away pretty lightly.

I could be completely wrong but perhaps the original incident and your feeling now that he is being vindictive both point to something in the way you reaction a situation.

Hope it all blows over.

Stu

chillis

posted on 16/8/17 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I think the take away point here is its not the physical damage to property that's the issue but the psychological damage, an innocent person feared being attacked in the street, these are scary situations. You reacted, without thinking, showing a potentially violent and uncontrolled behaviour, and the effect that has on others is first fear and then anger. The natural response is to want the person to be punished in someway that makes that person feel the fear that they have caused. Like others have said I think you got off lightly, instead of bad mouthing you he could have persued legal action, there was after all damage caused with intent.
Maybe mindfulness could help you to keep your anger in check and to learn to respond to your own and others actions rather than to react in haste. It has certainly worked for me.

HTH

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Irony

posted on 16/8/17 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
There does seem to be a lot of calm rational thinking types on here. You lot should try have a laptop power cable catch a spinning pro-shaft, the laptop whizzing past your head, the flailing mouse bonking your nose and then exiting through the garage window. Then the neighbour saying 'that was silly' from over fence. See if you remain calm.

Anyway.....

I go to a lot of meetings and if I was going to a meeting and a irate bloke leaped from his car, booted my car in a rage, damaged it and thoroughly scared me I probably wouldn't hesitate to mention it to the people I was meeting if the bloke worked there.

Irony

posted on 16/8/17 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
As a manager, if someone reported one of my employees to me for doing such a thing, in work time or not, to a client, co-worker, manager, member of the public, etc. they would be getting a bollocking. That person would lose a lot of credibility and an 'enhancement' in within the company would be in jeopardy. If someone is willing to react to something like that out in public, I wouldn't want them working for me.

I hope it makes you (and others too!) think before you start a fight!

Your not a manager of hairy arsed blokes battered into difficult situations and under tight budgets/deadlines then. Tempers get lost and things get said/shouted. Generally if it's not in works time, and doesn't affect work in anyway then its not your business unless a criminal record is obtained.

owelly

posted on 16/8/17 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I stand by what I said and I guess a few of the guys employed by my company have hairy arses but that has very little to do with inappropriate behaviour. They can have a grumble between each other but threatening behaviour? Actual physical damage? Losing control enough to jump out of their car and attack someone?! That's not acceptable.

pekwah1

posted on 16/8/17 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
At the end of the day, the 3rd party to the OP here just happened to be a client of the company he works for.
Yes, this incident occurred outside of work itself, but was during commute.

Did the 3rd person have any right to mention it to the company that the OP works for when he realised he works there?
Yes i believe he did. Also having been a manager of various different teams in my time, i would also want to be aware of things like this.

At the end of the day, if the OP hadn't have gotten out of his car and 'attacked' the 3rd party, there wouldn't have been any complaint.

There has been a comment that people all go off the rails and handle things maybe not in the best way.
Well i will put it to you that the 3rd party here has maybe also flown off the rails, but then if it's ok for you to do that and kick someones car, i think we also need to allow someone else to fly off about that and complain to people when he 'shouldn't' (even though i think he has that right).

sdh2903

posted on 16/8/17 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think Mr whippy has fully admitted he should never have done what he did and knows it was wrong. So all the condescending posts of "you're in the wrong" and "need anger management" aren't really required.

He f**ked up. Knows it. Apologised and offered to put it right. In my mind that would have where it would have ended if it was me you had done it to.The guy is milking it as he knows he has you by the balls which in my view is vindictive and unnecessary. If the guy was that outraged he would have called the police. By not doing so he's using a the opportunity to squeeze you for it. I dread to think what the repair bill he's going to throw out at you.

Jenko

posted on 16/8/17 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
I think Mr whippy has fully admitted he should never have done what he did and knows it was wrong. So all the condescending posts of "you're in the wrong" and "need anger management" aren't really required.

He f**ked up. Knows it. Apologised and offered to put it right. In my mind that would have where it would have ended if it was me you had done it to.The guy is milking it as he knows he has you by the balls which in my view is vindictive and unnecessary. If the guy was that outraged he would have called the police. By not doing so he's using a the opportunity to squeeze you for it. I dread to think what the repair bill he's going to throw out at you.

Disagree entirely...The OP has posted for peoples opinions. That's what he got. With the greatest respect, we are only seeing this from one side.....humans have a natural ability to play down a situation. Who knows what the other person thought when someone started kicking their car.

Mr Whippy is probably a really nice chap, but that was a serious error of judgement (that again I'm sure he is feeling), so if you are going to post on the forum, then you got to expect people to express what they think...........

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

nobby_the_sheep

posted on 16/8/17 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

This^^

I don't condone Mr Whippy's actions, but lets have some balance here.

As stated, the correct action for the guy to take was to call the police. It should certainly not be to try to get Mr Whippy sacked, just because he has influence at Mr Whippy's work.

Maybe Mr Whippy's employer would be better off having a chat re stress / workload - hence the overreaction on the way to work, rather than giving him a b0llocking as some suggest.

pekwah1

posted on 16/8/17 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
And how do we know he actually tried to get him sacked rather than just having a moan at his employer?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.