Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4 or 5 speed Type 9?
the_big_1

posted on 24/8/17 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
4 or 5 speed Type 9?

Hi guys,

Silly mistake I know but just mounted the gearbox I had from an old dinner car in to the Haynes I am building and tried out the gear seating position etc when I found out the box I have is a 4 speed. Would there be a benefit dumping the box and trying to locate a five speed?

SCAR

posted on 24/8/17 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
yes, the benefit will be an extra gear
jps

posted on 24/8/17 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I think it depends what you want from your car. I am building a Haynes and plan to fit the 1.6 Pinto (59bhp when new!) and the 4 speed box which came in the Sierra I'm breaking...

there is plenty of info online about the gear ratios to expect from the 4 speed (which I think is not a Type 9 as they are all 5 speed?) Ford boxes and the 5 speed so you can see the practical difference between them.

snapper

posted on 24/8/17 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think you have to have a good look at a gear speed calculator to really understand how the ratios will work with your diff ratio and your tyre size.
If your replacing a 4 speed type 9 with a 5 speed there is little difference apart from not having a cruising 5th.
If the 4 speed is an earlier type E then there are versions that have much superior ratios, or worth more than a type 9 5 speed

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

David Jenkins

posted on 24/8/17 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I have an unmodified 5-speed type 9 in my Locost. The first gear is so low that it is near-enough useless apart from very low-speed manoeuvring, and I generally start in 2nd unless I'm on a steep up-gradient. So, effectively, I have a 4-speed box. So, as snapper says, look at the ratios as the 4-speed box that came before the Type 9* may well be better suited. The 4-speed's ratios are more spread out and therefore more useful.

The T5-speed is really good when modified with a new set of gears that spread the ratios across the range. Unfortunately, this costs a fair bit of money!

* Note: IIRC, the Type 9 box is the 4-speed Type E with an extra gear housing attached to the back.

snapper

posted on 25/8/17 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
What he said ^
The T5 is good out of the box
Type 9 needs a longer 1st gear
I run V6 Type 9's which whilst not ideal has a better 1st (3.36) and a much better 2nd (1.81) with a 1.21 3rd
Ideal gearbox for the road would be a V6 Type 9 with the 2.7 1st

It's all about getting the gears closer together and fitting a diff and tyres to tweek.

Having an engine that has a higher rev limit effectively shortens the gap between the gears and as in the Cosworth turbo torque further masks big gaps

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.