Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modern engines manual/auto/flappy paddle
bj928

posted on 28/8/17 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
Modern engines manual/auto/flappy paddle

ok guys, not been on for a long long time, was building a viper v10 powered luego a few years back but never got it finished, engine is now in my mates sierra rs500 replica, anyway, i want some feedback, i work in the states most the year now, and ship classics to the uk in my down time, now the containers have a lot of space left over, and its got me to thinking about modern engines for kit cars, and other customs, but mainly kits, engines like the v6 ecoboost guy martain used in his transit, or the 2.0 and 2.3 ecoboost and N/A v6 3.7 (300hp) and the mustang 5.0 v8, all these can be had with either manual, auto, or auto/flappy paddle, now they won't be cheap engines, but they will be generally more powerfull than the older options, and never before have engines been offered with flappy paddle option from factory, the 2.0 and 2.3 are duratec 4 cylinders, so manual boxes can be got from the mustang to fit in long ways, if people want to use a mondeo engine and just need a manual box, the question is, would there be a market for these newer higher power, higher spec engines, i guess the majority of people would still go cheap, but maybe a small % would like the more modern engines, and seeing as ford and i guess other makers have now dropped a lot of the bigger or more powerful engines, anything bigger and more modern that a zetec, or duratec v6, I4 will have to come from the states, my friend is a wiring god, so i'm bringing in a complete scrap mustang in this year so he can get his head round the wiring, then next year i will look at starting to bring in v6, I4 and ecoboost engines if there is a market, the question is, is there a market, and would anyone be interested in late model engines that are simple plug and play as wiring is already sorted,

also, the new mustang and the chevy camaro both have a very nice complete irs, that just uses 4 bolt to fit, this might be a nice option for the rear axle on some kits,

below is the mustang irs, about 66 inches hub face to hub face so maybe to wide for 7's, camaro is very similar

rusty nuts

posted on 28/8/17 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John, nice to hear from you again .My ears haven't recovered from hearing the Viper lump starting at close range without any exhaust . Can't help with any of you questions but hope you are well .
hobbsy

posted on 28/8/17 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Too for heavy for most 7 kits to use the complete rear end irs setup like that maybe? What does it weigh?
bj928

posted on 28/8/17 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Too for heavy for most 7 kits to use the complete rear end irs setup like that maybe? What does it weigh?

until i get the complete mustang to the uk and stripped i can find out weights, but most the componants of the irs are alloy, so shouldn't be that heavy, the diff casing is available in steel or alloy, and all the modern engines i'm looking at are all alloy, weight shouldn't be an issue

bj928

posted on 28/8/17 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Hi John, nice to hear from you again .My ears haven't recovered from hearing the Viper lump starting at close range without any exhaust . Can't help with any of you questions but hope you are well .

yes she was loud, and did seem to draw a crowd for some reason when fired up, the engine has been dyno'd now in my friends sierra, 600hp and 672ib/ft, may have been a little over kill for a 7 replica

CosKev3

posted on 28/8/17 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Deffo be a market for the 2ltr Ecoboost as Westfield's new Sport250 uses it,just depends how cheap you can get them for as I don't think they are that expensive from breakers over here
bj928

posted on 28/8/17 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Deffo be a market for the 2ltr Ecoboost as Westfield's new Sport250 uses it,just depends how cheap you can get them for as I don't think they are that expensive from breakers over here

don't think i could get the 2.0 ecoboost cheaper stateside, but maybe the gearbox, assuming the mustang 2.3 ecoboost is the same bellhousing as the 2.0, flywheel and clutch could be found in the uk. i think engine wise i would have to go for the v6 in either ecoboost or non ecoboost, a N/A v6 3.7 as found in the mustangs in the states is 300 hp and comes with manual, normal auto, or auto/flappy paddle, the v6 3.5 ecoboost from a lincoln navigator is 380hp, so it would depend what someone wanted

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.