Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scooter advice
roadrunner

posted on 30/8/17 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Scooter advice

I've had my Honda Dylan for 6 months now. I use it for commuting 60 miles a day.
It's fairly high mileage at 28000 now. I service it every 2000 miles, which is done every 7 weeks or so.

A month ago I had to fit another automatic choke, as the original fell apart and never run right while the engine was cold.
Now the problem I've started to suffer with, is a lack of power when accelerating. It's not really bad but it is noticeable. It still reaches its maximum speed of 68. While accelerating it feels strangled and sounds a little bit rough.
Can it be that the choke needs adjusting, maybe winding at a bit.
All advice welcome.

Regards

Brad.

bi22le

posted on 30/8/17 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Service every 2K is that what the scheduling is? I have a Honda CBR500R and that is every 8k, I bought a Honda because they have large intervals.

If the choke was causing problems I think it would be hard to reach top speed. Is it injection? If not maybe a jet could of got blocked during the choke replacement. a little bit of crud can cause the world pf problems.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

roadrunner

posted on 30/8/17 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Service every 2k is correct. They don't use an oil filter.
It's not fuel injected.
It won't hurt pulling the jet and cleaning out the carb.

nick205

posted on 31/8/17 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
2k servicing sounds rather "frequent"!

That said I'm not and have never been into scooters or motorbikes so it may simply by my unfamiliarity speaking.

When you say they don't use an oil filter is there no aftermarket kit available to fit one. Seems an odd thing to delete to try and save money. If the aim is to lower the purchase cost as far as possible then the buyer is unlikely to stick to a frequent service schedule.

SJ

posted on 31/8/17 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Used to be every 1000 miles on my cb100n.
jps

posted on 31/8/17 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
My Piaggio ET4 125 (a twist and go Vespa) was every 2000 miles. I think I put about 28,000 miles on it in roughly 4 years. Not necessarily cheap transport if you do a lot of miles and get it dealer serviced. I also subsequently worked out the tyres (2 of them remember!) were costing me more per mile than the Ford Ka (4 of them remember!) I had after it!

Edit - PS - I didn't mind doing big distances on the Vespa when I was 18/19/20 (I would regularly ride between Sheffield and Mow Cop - which would be about 50 miles on fairly bumpy roads) but am not sure i'd be prepared to use a little bike like that nowadays. Motorway was even worse - speed was tolerable but the stability in cross winds or the draught of a lorry was not pleasant! Can't you trade up to a Burgman or similar?

[Edited on 31/8/17 by jps]

coozer

posted on 31/8/17 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Sure you put everything back together properly after the service?

Sounds like an air leak to me, is it a 2 or 4 stroke motor?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

roadrunner

posted on 31/8/17 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
It's a 4 stroke. It's been a bit intermittent. Defo better when the engine is cold.
It is whining a bit as well.
Can't think where an air leakage would be from.

jacko

posted on 31/8/17 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
with air leaks don't the engines normally rev high ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 31/8/17 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
It's a 4 stroke. It's been a bit intermittent. Defo better when the engine is cold.

from a car engine perspective...
sounds like its running 'rich' and you say you replaced the autochoke, so that's where I would look
what fuel are you using? (yea petrol, but is it 'supermarket'/'branded' etc)
one last thought, what's the air filter like?

roadrunner

posted on 31/8/17 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Morrison's petrol. The air filter is brand new.
jacko

posted on 31/8/17 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Bet the choke is not working properly
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.