Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V5C Fuel type wrong
JMW

posted on 10/9/17 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
V5C Fuel type wrong

I just got knocked back by Le Shuttle from booking my 17 year old Porsche Boxster as it said it was a gas powered vehicle which they don't take on the train.

Checking the V5C the fuel type says "PETROL/GAS" as opposed to the normal "PETROL".

Now this is clearly an error, there's no practical way a Boxster could be converted to dual fuel, so I am faced with the challenge of getting this corrected.

Has anyone on here had experience of correcting the fuel type designation on the V5C (as opposed to amending it after a conversion, say)?

All the DVLA website advice is geared to amending details after some change or other, it is vague about corrections.

I realise I am probably liable for some more road tax for the period of my ownership, but I don't think that will amount to much. Whatever it is, I still want to get this corrected.

Any advice would be appreciated.

craigdiver

posted on 10/9/17 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Give them a call, they are surprisingly helpful (for a government department!).

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

posted on 10/9/17 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 1000cc Yamaha once that was registered as a moped from new.

I didn't have to pay any back tax.

ianhurley20

posted on 10/9/17 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA can be surprisingly gullible - I know someone who told them they had replaced their 90cc engine in their Honda with a 1000cc one with some engine numbers and they got a V5C back. It wasn't exactly true as the 1000cc machine was stolen and it was a way of being able to use it on a road and in a superficial police stop they would get away with it as the PNC gave details that matched. They didn't get a superficial stop though and ended up before the courts!

JMW

posted on 11/9/17 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Update

Thanks for the info so far.

Rang Le Shuttle and explained, the couldn't be nicer lady accepted my explanation and booked the car on to the train.

So we'll see tomorrow when we turn up at Folkestone, and then when I get back I will call the DVLA....

nick205

posted on 11/9/17 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I've used written communication (letters) with the DVLA before and had success. The DVLA are not always the easiest to deal with, however written communication they seem to respond to. When sending I use a "signed for" service to ensure delivery.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.