Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The smallest build garage ??
tompat3463

posted on 17/9/17 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
The smallest build garage ??

Im very close placing an order for an mint vortx. The only thing putting me off is the size of my garage. It's attached to my house and has a good door. End to end it's 150mm longer than a finished vortx and is about 500mm wider than a garage door so obviously the car will fit. But is this too small to build a car ?

How small was your build garage ?

Pictures would be handy.

Cheers Alan

bi22le

posted on 17/9/17 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have not built but do maintain my car in a single garage. So it's bigger than yours as I can fit a work bench and a motorbike in mine

I think it will be tight. Can you consider buying a large shed to put all of the parts until you need them, it may also give you somewhere else to work on stuff and pre-assemble.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

steve m

posted on 17/9/17 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
17 X 8 feet, built from scratch as per "the book"
NEVER AGAIN !!

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

killerferret666

posted on 17/9/17 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
a photo from back when I was building.

Anything is possible

Building DDR GT4

Miami Gt4 Blog - Click Here

big_wasa

posted on 17/9/17 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
As Steve, I scratch built mine in a single garage. But I just can't get around to starting another.
SteveWalker

posted on 17/9/17 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
My garage was only a few inches wider than the door (I have since widened it by 3 feet). It was fine with a rolling chassis - I just did most of the work outside and then rolled it in at the end of the day or when it rained. I also did some of the work from inside the garage, with half of the car in and a tarpaulin over the exposed half if it rained.
tompat3463

posted on 17/9/17 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. It certainly makes me feel better about it.
Daf

posted on 17/9/17 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have a single garage - slightly bigger but with a motorbike, the kit car, 2 mountain bikes, workbench, kids bikes, lathe, compressor, pillar drill, all my tools and a lot of other crap! Anything is possible!
jps

posted on 18/9/17 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I have a handy source of random scrap - which I know is not the case for everyone - but i got my hands on some heavy duty castors and a pallet and effectively have made a massive dolly which my bare chassis sits on. Although I have a decent size garage - i usually wheel it all out onto the driveway in front of the garage to work on it anyway.

Less of an issue once you get to the 'rolling' stage - but a way to make the best of little space if you have to.

The problem is weather - if it were not typically dry a lot of the time where I live I'd be looking at getting some sort of heavy duty gazebo to pop on the front of the garage. The sort of things people use for trade stands or the like - or even use some box section and tarp to make my own.

Irony

posted on 19/9/17 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Doable but it's a bit rubbish. My garage is 300mm wider than my car and 1000 longer. And a boiler and tumble dryer. You need to be clever with storage etc. So I had shelves above head height all round. A small overhang/porch outside the door so I could push the car out a few feet and still work undercover. Fold down workbench etc. Wall storage for tools. A shed for lesser used stuff.

Small garages take far far less to heat so there is a upside

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 19/9/17 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
As said once the cars rolling it easy plus you can use the inside of the car for storage .
Bluemoon

posted on 19/9/17 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
As said once the cars rolling it easy plus you can use the inside of the car for storage .

Similar method to me in our single garage, the donor car (Sierra estate) car also made a good temporary "shed" (on axle stands!)...

LBMEFM

posted on 19/9/17 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Looking outside the box as some would say, count yourself lucky I believe many on here have built their cars outside.
ianhurley20

posted on 19/9/17 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have a roll out caravan awning on the front of my garage - it adds several feet of dry space and helps tremendously with a build.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.