Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MNR Vortx Advice
Ron86

posted on 27/9/17 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
MNR Vortx Advice

Many of you suggested I look and the MNR Vortx for my new build and I have to say I'm tempted. The spec and quality of what I have seen online looks very difficult to beat.

So I'm after your thoughts - particularly those who have or are building one. I'm trying to get over my dislike of the nose and understand there may be another option available. But my bigger question is about what is actually included in the starter kit (I'm looking at the RT Inboard model - can't quite stretch to rose joints!). At £3000 the website seems to suggest that it comes with shocks and also mentions custom uprights but I assume these are extra? There are also no links to parts. Does MNR not have a kitspares/kit car direct equivalent?

Thanks in advance.

ste

posted on 28/9/17 at 04:40 AM Reply With Quote
I bet they would tell you if you asked MNR for a full list of whats included in each package.

The price difference between a starter kit and complete kit says to me there's 4 grands worth of stuff to buy on top of the starter kit to complete it.

CosKev3

posted on 28/9/17 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
As above, email/call them and they will send you a sheet listing all parts included.
Ron86

posted on 28/9/17 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
As above, email/call them and they will send you a sheet listing all parts included.

I will be calling them today. Any more general comments on the MNR...particularly why you'd buy one over an MK? The customer service at MK is mind blowing; I've never had to wait more than a few hours for a response, I can see everything online and the car seems well sorted.

[Edited on 28/9/17 by Ron86]

CosKev3

posted on 28/9/17 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
MK have recently changed hands,so don't personally know anyone that's dealt with the new place so can't comment on supply/aftercare etc.

The MK chassis is nice,but as stated in your other thread after seeing the MNR one recently it just looks better thought out imo.
If MK are still using the same manufacturer for the GRP bodywork as they did when based up North the MNR GRP is way better.

jelly head

posted on 28/9/17 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Better off without the rose joints anyway. I found mine were knackered after not many miles and the cost of replacement soon adds up.

Kit quality is sound. and MNR are really helpful

What engine option are you thinking of?

Ron86

posted on 28/9/17 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jelly head
Better off without the rose joints anyway. I found mine were knackered after not many miles and the cost of replacement soon adds up.

Kit quality is sound. and MNR are really helpful

What engine option are you thinking of?

2.0 blacktop, type 9.

Tried calling twice already but no one answering the phone lol.

gaz_gaz

posted on 28/9/17 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Where abouts in the country are you?
You'll likely end up paying the factory a visit or 2 so being local is a factor to consider,

A couple of other things worth considering in my opinion are, Resale value and owner club activity.
The Westfield forums are alive with activity and build threads, People only too happy to offer advice, There's also a lot of organised events that cater for most types be it motorsport or sitting down to Sunday lunch,

There's a fella on the forum username SDH2903 who started a MNR build before returning it to the factory and building a Westfield Sport250,
He maybe worth speaking to, If he's willing to share his experiance

Nathsx

posted on 28/9/17 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Full MNR pricelist from last year if you want a look.

Gives an idea. PM if you want it

Ron86

posted on 28/9/17 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nathsx
I have a Full MNR pricelist from last year if you want a look.

Gives an idea. PM if you want it

Marc at MNR sent over the sheet showing the various build modules which makes it much clearer. Still not hearing any specific reasons (other than subjectivity over historic customer service) to go MNR over MK yet though?

sdh2903

posted on 28/9/17 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Without going into too many specifics my MNR chassis was incorrect at first and needed modification. It then returned from modification in a poor state and came back a 3rd time not much better so I'd lost interest and it went back. To counter this the guys at MNR were genuinely trying their best to rectify and were being badly let down by 3rd parties. Now I'm kitless I am actually considering another.

As gaz said above I then built a Westfield. The car itself was great but I wouldn't build another full kit because I don't want to have to deal with the factory again as they are dire. Great community of loyal followers in the wscc though.

The problem is you will hear good reviews and bad reviews on every kit ever built. Even the 'OLD' MK had loads of people who thought they were brilliant despite them actually being a load of crooks.

You keep on asking the same question but at the end of the day it can only be your choice. If it were me and id narrowed it down to new MK or MNR then book a day off work and go and see them ask as many questions (make a list) take pictures ask them about how they'd accommodate your choice of drivetrain. You will get a feeling from these visits that will help you decide. Yes it will cost you a tank or 2 of fuel and a day or 2 but may end up saving you big time in the longrun.

Ron86

posted on 28/9/17 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Without going into too many specifics my MNR chassis was incorrect at first and needed modification. It then returned from modification in a poor state and came back a 3rd time not much better so I'd lost interest and it went back. To counter this the guys at MNR were genuinely trying their best to rectify and were being badly let down by 3rd parties. Now I'm kitless I am actually considering another.

As gaz said above I then built a Westfield. The car itself was great but I wouldn't build another full kit because I don't want to have to deal with the factory again as they are dire. Great community of loyal followers in the wscc though.

The problem is you will hear good reviews and bad reviews on every kit ever built. Even the 'OLD' MK had loads of people who thought they were brilliant despite them actually being a load of crooks.

You keep on asking the same question but at the end of the day it can only be your choice. If it were me and id narrowed it down to new MK or MNR then book a day off work and go and see them ask as many questions (make a list) take pictures ask them about how they'd accommodate your choice of drivetrain. You will get a feeling from these visits that will help you decide. Yes it will cost you a tank or 2 of fuel and a day or 2 but may end up saving you big time in the longrun.

Thanks very much for the feedback. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I've been to MK and, although the premises are small, was impressed with the conversation I had. I'm off to Westfield next saturday and will then try and get over the MNR.

sdh2903

posted on 28/9/17 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it was a pain at the time but as said I did feel sorry for Marc and Chris at the time as a lot of it was out of their hands. Their chassis is well designed and race proven and my past tribulations wouldn't put me off considering them again and don't let it sway your decision either. Take a look round and speak to Marc as he's a wealth of knowledge.
andyhaase1

posted on 10/10/17 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi , not been on here a while so I’ve only just seen this post.
I can’t comment on other kits as the VORTX is my first build, but I have had a good experience so far. Most stuff fits really well, I remember having to elongate a bolt hole in the pedal box, but apart from that I’m really happy. Mine was the first duratec and first non race are Inboard rear, but you would never have guessed, I just took the engine, box, diff and column to Marc, and he did the rest.
I was also dubious of the front nosecone before I placed my order, but when the more I visited the workshop, the more they grew on me. I haven’t yet fitted the bodyworkso can’t comment on the fit quality.
Pm me if you need pics or more details.
Andy

procomp

posted on 10/10/17 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

As someone who sees many kits from many suppliers and then accuratley measures them whilst setting them up for those who are taking the handling a bit more seriously for trackdays or out and out racing, my advice is buy a westfield or AB performance Arion / Typhon and save yourself a lot of headaches.
And when wording like RACE proven is used do some research its very misleading.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.