Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Real world performance
J666AYP

posted on 19/11/17 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Real world performance

Afternoon gents,

I has just dawned on me that I am up to my elbows in the supercharged locost project and I have never even driven a 7 type car!

I have driven some quick cars in my time (355 ferrari, the new GTR, various R33/34 skylines, scoobys, evos's, most big merc's and bmw's, GT2 porker, sierra cosworths, TT 300zx.... the list goes on). I know that all of the above will hammer the project car top end thanks to the '7' being as aerodynamic as my house. But what will the rest of the drive be like? Will the road manners be like any of the cars listed above so I know what to expect?

Jay

mark chandler

posted on 19/11/17 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Once the car is well sorted it will be like driving a big go cart, point, squirt drift.

Best enjoyed on the track, it will happily drive around most road cars in this environment, just throw it into bends at silly speeds

[Edited on 19/11/17 by mark chandler]

jossey

posted on 19/11/17 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
It's like comparing a trip in a learjet plane and a jet fighter.

It's not really comparable. I have a turbo westfield and compares to lot of the cara I've driven some you have listed they don't compare. 100mph in a kit car feels scary fast. Especially without a roll cage.

Agrees top end you won't play ball but not many UK tracks need more than 140mph so you will be fine.

In my opinion a well sorted kit car with 250hp is nuts and much better fun than anything else I've driven.

Only winner over that is a atom

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daf

posted on 19/11/17 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Imagine sticking your head in a tumble drier,thats how i best describe it! I've driven a few fast cars over the years but nothing compares, its a real back to basics driving experience. You will love it!
bi22le

posted on 19/11/17 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I on the other hand have not driven many powerful cars in my time. I can however compare track day driving to karting. You very quickly forget how much taller the other cars are in track and see them as slower moving obstructions that you easily navigate round.

One of my fondest memories is watching a very track spec'd MR2 Turbo sliding and spitting flames in front of me around brands. It was so entertaining to watch, a real"chase cam" moment. With in a lap he obviously got the message and just pulled over, letting me through. One lap later I could not even see him in my mirrors!

The faster speeds are not effortless like in the cars you list, but a sorted car will make you feel very confident to keep pushing and pushing beyond your natural perception of driving abilities.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

J666AYP

posted on 19/11/17 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply's lads.

Going off of those comments it seems that I need to worry more about my driving ability than the speed of the car (or lack of it lol).

Cheers,

Jay

pekwah1

posted on 20/11/17 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Having driven a lot of other "performance" cars in my time, i now have a Striker with a modest 130-140bhp.
That probably stands it around 5.5 to 60 i would imagine, so not blisteringly quick, but not slow.

The comment i would pass is that out of all the cars i have ever driven, 7 types definitely have been the most fun for me, especially when at comparatively low speeds. They are surprisingly stable and easy to drive though, if you did find yourself on a motorway/dual carraigeway and wanted to play with something exotic, 200bhp should be plenty to give them a run for their money... 110mph onwards is probably where it will start lagging, but i don't tend to drive that fast in terms of top speed anyway. Personally, i love the little country lanes, i don't drive them as fast as i would in other cars, but probably feels twice as fast when sat in the car!

StrikerChris

posted on 20/11/17 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
My Striker with arround 240ish bhp easily completely wastes my mates TVR Tuscan, and Aston Martin v8 vantage both in acceleration and the twisty bits on the roads.
My mates GTR on the otherhand is a different animal.Nails me off the line, I can at best keep up 30-70mph and on the twistys but he will inevitably dissappear into the distance on a good run.
Worst thing I find with the car is visibility to overtake,as you're say so low and cant see over hedges to read the road! That and motorbikes,they seriously boil my p**s holding you up as they cant imagine anything faster behind them!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 20/11/17 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J666AYP

Going off of those comments it seems that I need to worry more about my driving ability than the speed of the car (or lack of it lol).

Cheers,

Jay

That is the biggie!

You really do need to drive a seven type car,they are awesome and you will be surprised how many miles you end up driving just for the sake of it!

Any clown can get in a R35 GTR and drive at really stupid speeds,as the car does everything to help you accelerate and also stay on the road!

As clever as all the gizzmos are on new cars,they don't interest me tbh.

Been lucky enough to drive a 600bhp R35 GTR in the wet and it is a awesome machine,but it just helps you drive at stupid speeds way too easily!

J666AYP

posted on 20/11/17 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
StrikerChris,

"motorbikes,they seriously boil my p**s holding you up as they cant imagine anything faster behind them!"

I can almost hear the two wheel coffin riders scratching at their visors after reading that!

froggy

posted on 21/11/17 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by J666AYP

Cheers,

Jay

That is the biggie!

You really do need to drive a seven type car,they are awesome and you will be surprised how many miles you end up driving just for the sake of it!

Any clown can get in a R35 GTR and drive at really stupid speeds,as the car does everything to help you accelerate and also stay on the road!

As clever as all the gizzmos are on new cars,they don't interest me tbh.

Been lucky enough to drive a 600bhp R35 GTR in the wet and it is a awesome machine,but it just helps you drive at stupid speeds way too easily!

I came across a new gtr recently and rolling from 40mph he had no chance with only 300hp/tonne .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.