Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover v8 engine removal
Bigboystoys

posted on 21/11/17 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Rover v8 engine removal

Afternoon all, need to remove gearbox from my Dax rush over winter for a clutch change, is it easier to remove engine and box as one (can give it a good clean) or just box and also will it pass out the bottom rather than top?? Engine is a DJE 4.6 rover lump mounted to an R380.

Many thanks

Sam

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 21/11/17 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I’m guessing the engine and gearbox will have to come out or engine out first then gearbox afterwards
gaz_gaz

posted on 21/11/17 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I find it easiest to pull the engine then box.
The car needs to be up a fair bit and then you need to try and get the engine and box at quite an angle to slip them out as one. I usually so it by myself and probably easier with a couple of people though.

i' d be surprised if you can get the gearbox to slide back far enough to disengage the shaft and allow you to get the box out without removing the engine.

nick205

posted on 21/11/17 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
From memory of assembling my Pinto / T9 MK Indy I'd have thought it makes sense to remove both items bolted together. Certainly in the Indy there wasn't space to separate them and leave the engine in place. As you say gives an opportunity to clean the engine as well.
scudderfish

posted on 21/11/17 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
When I changed the V8 in my Fury, I kept it as one unit with the gearbox. Got it out and in by myself. It was a little tricky to get a sufficient angle to clear the chassis crossmember by the bellhousing and clear the inboard suspension. I ended up cutting the arm off the load leveller and using a spanner. Get a load leveller, it makes it so much better.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/heWD4nRwOTIxsZIc2

B33fy

posted on 21/11/17 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the clearance at the front of the engine. I’ve done mine both ways. Firstly by splitting the engine and box and leaving the gearbox in situ. The clutch can be sorted pretty easily this way. Though the clutch release arm can be fiddly to locate. Make sure the clutch is centred perfectly and also the gearbox is not left flopping about on the end of a rope otherwise you’ll never get the two back together. I put a block of wood on the top of the gearbox and jacked it up jamming the box in against the chassis.

If you decide to take the engine and box out in one, make sure you have a completely removable gearbox mount so the gearbox clears the mounting points. Also make sure you have the car high enough to drop the tail of the gearbox down, you can then edge the whole lot forward and up out the car. It’s made easier if you use a load leveller and use it to adjust the angle on the engine and box as you go.

Removing the gearbox on its own.. The gearbox tunnel probably won’t give you the clearance to pull the gearbox back and out without disturbing the engine.

Just a side note, if you are replacing the clutch arm, make sure it’s reinforced around/ over the pivot point, otherwise the ball will break through the arm. Also make sure the bearing pads are not too loose fitting in the thrust bearing, caused by the fork width being too wide. If so the bearing will rotate and become disiengaged from the arm, all the above resulting in another load of work! Don’t ask how I know.. lol

[Edited on 21/11/17 by B33fy]

Simon

posted on 21/11/17 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was a variant on the Champion book (+4" wide) and used to take RV8 engine/box out together but lift rear of car slightly with ramps, removed combined bonnet/nosecone.
nick205

posted on 22/11/17 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Mine was a variant on the Champion book (+4" wide) and used to take RV8 engine/box out together but lift rear of car slightly with ramps, removed combined bonnet/nosecone.

Good point - when I put the Pinto + T9 in my MK Indy the rear of the car was raised to improve access angles.

mcerd1

posted on 22/11/17 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B33fy
Depends on the clearance at the front of the engine.

as I remember it its almost non-existent in a V8 dax

ask the guys over on the dax forum - a few of them have done it multiple times
http://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB3/index.php

-

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/11/17 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
no kidding, years ago I worked with a guy who pulled a rover v8 out an SD1 by hand! just tying some rope round it, he was huge though. Wouldn't recommend that approach though. I have carried a VW flat four up some stairs by myself and that seemed very heavy
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bigboystoys

posted on 23/11/17 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you all so much for the replies very much appreciated

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.