Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric screwdriver/drill/impact driver options- err????
jps

posted on 23/11/17 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Electric screwdriver/drill/impact driver options- err????

I need to buy a new electric screwdriver for general household stuff - my £30 12v Black and Decker was OK for a while but the batteries are knackered and more expensive to buy than a new 'driver so....

A quick bit of online research confuses me - there are drills (not screwdrivers) which look exactly like the B&D thing i've been using as a screwdriver (AND as a drill) and there are impact drivers too...

Are electric drills basically the same as electric screwdrivers anyway ?

And are impact drivers the same but with have higher torque capability or some sort of shock action for freeing off stubbon bolts or similar?

I am asking because there seem to be a few sets sold as a pair - drill/screwdriver and impact driver - so wondering whether to get both.

theconrodkid

posted on 23/11/17 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I got a "titan" band cordless hammer drill from my mates at screwfix, it drills holes, undoes screws, nuts and bolts etc and if used in hammer mode works like an impact wrench as well as drilling holes in concrete.
got a set of adapters to use 1/4,3/8 and 1/2 inch sockets in the chuck and it,s a general do it all tool....apart from banging nails in that is.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

garyo

posted on 23/11/17 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
The impact drivers are much smaller& lighter due to lack of gearbox. This is handy if you're on a big job or a serious user. The impact action is to prevent 'camming out'... so far fewer chewed up screw heads. You don't have to press them in to the screw as with a torquey dual-purpose electric drill.
loggyboy

posted on 23/11/17 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Check the wording, if wantint to do automotive work you want an impact wrench, not an impact driver. its a big jump in price (just an example below)
As above, the impact part of the driver is for light work, but with less risk of damaging heads.

Driver £180 https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p31520?table=no
Wrench £450 https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p67372?table=no

[Edited on 23-11-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

jps

posted on 23/11/17 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboyan impact wrench, not an impact driver[Edited on 23-11-17 by loggyboy]

That's helpful to point out - I was conflating the two things in my head to be honest.

I am not expecting to really need an impact wrench for my car building but did think an electric tool with a torquey oompf to it may be occassionally useful on car things as well as elsewhere...

cliftyhanger

posted on 23/11/17 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
I was in toolstation earlier. They have a managers special, looks like a national thing in store only?
They had a "sparky" drill/driver for about £50 with 2 Li ion batteries, an absolute steal.
I was tempted, but recently bought new (after a thieving scroat stole my previous one........)

Hopley89

posted on 23/11/17 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Makita
Dewalt
Milwaukee

They will all go screwdriver combi drills for all purposes
I have got a makita set with 14 different tools Impact, hammer drill
combi drill, multi tool, orbital sander ect ect, i would highly recommend
it as you can buy each tool body only.

coozer

posted on 24/11/17 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an Aldi driver/drill the 30 quid one.

Very handy indeed I must say....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ste

posted on 25/11/17 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-DCK211D2T-Li-ion-Cordless-Compact/dp/B00OTYXWE4?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelpopular-21&linkCo de=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00OTYXWE4

If you have amazon prime, theres a link on the right of the screen to get it for £125 for both if you wait for it to come back in stock.
Thats a fantastic price for great tools. My dewalt cordless drill has been flawless and very powerfull compared to other mid range tools like bosch ive had in the past.

[Edited on 25/11/17 by ste]

FuryRebuild

posted on 25/11/17 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Have you seen the Dewalt gyro screwdriver? It’s a great thing - twist the screwdriver and it turns in the direction you twist. It has a good chuck on it as well.

There was a chap doing a job in my house for me, and he had one. The two of us had a 10 minute conversation about how awesome it was.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.